Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

Exclamation Full BC Parks System Closure

BC Parks is immediately closing the entire BC Parks system, including all parks, protected areas, conservancies, recreation areas, and ecological reserves. All camping (front and backcountry) is now banned until May 31st, 2020. This action is being taken in response to the call for increased action to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/
Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Frig.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Camping and Trail use in the Koocanusa Area is now restricted as well. No overnight stays, day-use is ok, it would seem.

I believe this is due to years of the mud bogging and idiocy that usually starts on Easter Long Weekend.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020FLNR0019-000647

Details of the Link above...

The B.C. government is restricting camping and motorized recreation (including the use of off-road vehicles) throughout the entire Koocanusa Recreation Strategy area this spring and summer.

These restrictions will help prevent environmental damage and ensure orders and guidance from the provincial health officer related to the COVID-19 pandemic are followed.

The restrictions will take effect at 1 p.m. (Mountain time) on Wednesday, April 8, 2020, and will remain in place until further notice.

Although overnight camping will be prohibited in this area, people may still use designated roads and trails on a day-use basis as long as they adhere to physical distancing guidelines and other restrictions that may be in place.

The Koocanusa Recreation Strategy (see link below) contains a map of the Koocanusa Recreation Strategy area.

These restrictions are implemented by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development under Section 58 of the Forest and Range Practices Act, in partnership with the Conservation Officer Service, the RCMP, the Ktunaxa Nation and the Tobacco Plains Indian Band, as well as other local government stakeholders in the region.

There have been growing concerns in recent years about unauthorized mudbogging (i.e., operating or racing off-road vehicles in wet earth or mud) on Crown land around the Koocanusa reservoir — particularly in the Dorr Road and Umbrella Beach areas — and its associated impacts on the land and the environment.

Specific stewardship concerns due to mudbogging and related activities include:

water and soil contamination;
damage to forest and rangeland habitat;
lack of sanitation and garbage facilities;
public safety;
impacts on archeological and cultural resources;
damage to recreational infrastructure; and
displacement of wildlife.
The Section 58 restrictions are consistent with orders and guidance issued by the provincial health officer under the provincial state of emergency, regarding physical distancing and a prohibition on public gatherings of more than 50 people. In the midst of a global pandemic that has affected hundreds of people throughout this province and neighbouring jurisdictions, British Columbians and visitors from other provinces are urged to follow the advice of public health officials.

The restrictions will be enforced by the Province’s natural resource officers, conservation officers and the RCMP, who will conduct regular patrols and educate the public at access points into the area. People who do not comply with the restrictions may be issued a violation ticket for $115 and told to leave the area.

The restrictions for the Koocanusa Recreation Strategy area align with the decision by Recreation Sites and Trails BC to close its campgrounds and amenities to gatherings and overnight camping in response to COVID-19.

Quick Facts:

The B.C. government has been working collaboratively with the Ktunaxa Nation, stakeholders and local governments for several years on a Koocanusa Recreation Strategy.
The development of this strategy includes the management of camping and trail use in the area.
Mudbogging is not considered a legitimate activity and is neither supported nor included in the Koocanusa Recreation Strategy.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

If AHS is correct in predicting that 800,000 Albertans are going to have Covid19 by mid may then the last thing we need is a load of forest fires started in BC or anywhere else. I wouldn't think breathing smoke is going to do a lot of good for anyone let alone those who are sick.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Frig.
Really frig. That was my plan for this spring.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Really frig. That was my plan for this spring.
You and 30,000 others. Probably a good idea anyway. The fish will be that much bigger next year.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:10 PM

My fear with this closure is that it is going to mean larger crowds in other locales. People still need to get out for fresh air and exercise, but if there are fewer places to go, it may lead to larger concentrations in other places. This is turn could very well compromise the current physical distancing requirements.

Mr Conservation
Old 04-08-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
My fear with this closure is that it is going to mean larger crowds in other locales. People still need to get out for fresh air and exercise, but if there are fewer places to go, it may lead to larger concentrations in other places. This is turn could very well compromise the current physical distancing requirements.

Mr Conservation
Kind of like grocery stores reducing hours, causing lineups. Extending to 24 hr would reduce the densities.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Full closure will give the countryside a reprieve and it is only until May 31 at this stage. With Covid jumping species it might be a good thing to limit human interaction with wildlife.

I am just curious how the BC govt. is going to stop of all the existing squatters from moving around on BC crown land. There are still old US draft dodgers and international criminals hiding out in the back country of BC aside from the homeless people and guerilla growers of pot. BC couldn't even find the one guy who lived in a big tree for 4 years in Stanley Park so it might be a challenge to close everything.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Banned

BC. Is that the place that ****es and moans about pipelines? Oh well...
Old 04-08-2020, 02:49 PM

I was planning a spring turkey hunt in BC this year, was going to camp on crown, it wasn’t a park or anything but I’m guessing that that’s a no go now? Man that really puts a dampen on my spring plans...
Old 04-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Thank you for that scintillating and highly valuable contribution to the discussion. Whatever would we do without such fascinating pieces of timeless wisdom. Your post is truly a literary delight that is without equal.

Nog
Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Lots of people in BC who want to see pipelines go through, lots who welcome Albertans during the summer and rest of the year for vacationing, I for one will continue to support BC every spring on a turkey hunt...
Old 04-08-2020, 03:06 PM
Banned

Everyone is compromising. Try being an oil fed Albertan.
I'm surprised the BC govt hasn't turned the entire province into a national park. Or an Indian reserve.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
You and 30,000 others. Probably a good idea anyway. The fish will be that much bigger next year.
Except my family are on the Island. Imagine what the neighbourhood would think of an Albertans plate showing up.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Kind of like grocery stores reducing hours, causing lineups. Extending to 24 hr would reduce the densities.
Maybe the staff need a break that have been working probably 12 hour days and while the store is closed, more staff are sanitizing 50,000 SQ Feet of space...

I worked grocery retail for 15 years in Management and I know for a fact I would be working 7 days a week and 12 hour days right now....
Old 04-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Breaking news .... BC still expects prompt property tax payment from all out of province land owners. Even if they are talking about closing the border to us.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basepc View Post
Breaking news .... BC still expects prompt property tax payment from all out of province land owners. Even if they are talking about closing the border to us.
So do you pay or go into arrears and let the property go to tax sale?

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 04-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Maybe the staff need a break that have been working probably 12 hour days and while the store is closed, more staff are sanitizing 50,000 SQ Feet of space...

I worked grocery retail for 15 years in Management and I know for a fact I would be working 7 days a week and 12 hour days right now....
Maybe Management could hire more people and split into 3 hour shifts.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-08-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
So do you pay or go into arrears and let the property go to tax sale?
You can pay on line. You don’t have to go there to pay your tax bill for your property. I have property which I just pay at the local city hall office online. But if I needed to go there to check on something I’m sure they would allow that. If not I would have my property manager take care of things. I would be ****ed about that if they close it
Old 04-08-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
I was planning a spring turkey hunt in BC this year, was going to camp on crown, it wasn’t a park or anything but I’m guessing that that’s a no go now? Man that really puts a dampen on my spring plans...
Not being stopped at this point, BUT with them considering isolating communities and blocking borders it would probably be wise to reconsider going too far from your home turf.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
BC Parks is immediately closing the entire BC Parks system, including all parks, protected areas, conservancies, recreation areas, and ecological reserves. All camping (front and backcountry) is now banned until May 31st, 2020. This action is being taken in response to the call for increased action to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/
Smart move if they are trying to get people to stay home and stop running around as they please then the more places they close down the less options people have, and some people still don't get it.
Same reason Alberta shut down all provincial parks, when you ask people to self isolate and stay home they think that means everyone else but them.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Maybe Management could hire more people and split into 3 hour shifts.
I know in at least some locations that Amazon has been hiring to handle the volumes.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

And there are literally one million people that would gladly take that job right now!!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Smart move if they are trying to get people to stay home and stop running around as they please then the more places they close down the less options people have, and some people still don't get it.
Same reason Alberta shut down all provincial parks, when you ask people to self isolate and stay home they think that means everyone else but them.
Exactly! The government is having to police people and this is the easiest way. At the end of the day, they want people to stay home. Go to work if you absolutely have to. Go to the grocery store once a week or less. That’s it. It’s going to be way harder to do as it gets nicer and this thing drags on. It sucks but that’s what needs to be done. A person just...needs...to...stay...home.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
And there are literally one million people that would gladly take that job right now!!

This cannot be......because Turdo is going to bring 75k TFWs in to help farms plant seeds....
Old 04-09-2020, 05:49 AM

What country is this, already?! Government control of travel, and land... Pretty dang ridiculous. I suppose that they think that we'll give covid to a tree, or pass it on to some wildlife.

I suspect it is some worry over wild fire, but those never start in the day, and the ones that are the culprits won't be out there at all. Will they?

We'll still have the fires. It's not the guys that always camp in the back country quietly, but it'll be some from some hot exhausts caked in mud, and cigarette butts flicked from windows.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-09-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
What country is this, already?! Government control of travel, and land... Pretty dang ridiculous. I suppose that they think that we'll give covid to a tree, or pass it on to some wildlife.

I suspect it is some worry over wild fire, but those never start in the day, and the ones that are the culprits won't be out there at all. Will they?

We'll still have the fires. It's not the guys that always camp in the back country quietly, but it'll be some from some hot exhausts caked in mud, and cigarette butts flicked from windows.
It seems a lot of people on here want to follow the supreme leader’s hide under your bed approach to the issue.