Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Default Instant CERB application and acceptance

call 1-800-959-2041

took less then 1 minute. Done

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Even better yet, do it online through your CRA account, just as fast.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM

I must be the luckiest SOB out there. I did my EI application a week ago knowing full well it would be switched over to CERB. I had ZERO issues doing the online application and it took 20 mins. My company had ROE already in so it was very simple.

I just checked my account and it looks like my CERB money was deposited today. I was fully expecting not to see money for months. Kudos to all those working on this unprecedented backlog on our social services it must be hard!!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM

I'm curious about this.

Is it based on the honor system, how do they check people are actually eligible? What if you're still working but your hours have been cut in half, no dice because you haven't "stopped working"?

Seems like it's going to be taken advantage of in a major way.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Total honor system now but I am sure they will be reviewing all applicants eventually. If you received monies you were not entitled to, you will have to repay.

For those who have had their hours reduced etc and do not qualify for the CERB they are setting up some sort of funding system which may be announced later this week. May mean they will change the eligibility requirements on CERB so more people qualify or a whole different system.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm curious about this.

Is it based on the honor system, how do they check people are actually eligible? What if you're still working but your hours have been cut in half, no dice because you haven't "stopped working"?

Seems like it's going to be taken advantage of in a major way.
Who know's how they'll audit all of that - it's going to be an administrative nightmare either way.

For me I rolled the dice. I billed out a few hundred dollars & received payments before they announced all of this - so by the rules, that disqualifies me from the CERB for the 1st month.

To me, that's nonsense. Given then choice between a few hundred dollars or $2000, I know which option i'm going with.

What I hope they do is pro-rate the CERB amounts so that any income made on top of the CERB is paid pack next tax season. I have no issue taking less of the CERB because of a little income, but to be completely disqualified from it is just not going to fly with me.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
call 1-800-959-2041

took less then 1 minute. Done
The wife did that yesterday!! Honestly I was suspicious as it was so quick and painless. lol. Time will tell, apparently she should see funds in 3 business days.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:20 AM

Girlfriend spent a few minutes on her CRA account a week and a half ago, CERB money deposited today.

REMEMBER THIS MONEY IS A TAXABLE BENEFIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REPORT IT AND PAY TAXES ON IT THIS TIME NEXT YEAR!