Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Gravel truck & Bobcat job pricing

Hello Everyone!

I need a Bobcat operater for a small job near Vulcan

Have a 30' x 12' space (trailer pad) that I need filled with

Wash rock Or Aggregate . approx. 3" deep (opinions please) it is just dirt now & we have a park model coming in soon.

I just wanted to get a ball park price as I have no idea whats fair?

Thanks in advance

Orv.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
Hello Everyone!

I need a Bobcat operater for a small job near Vulcan

Have a 30' x 12' space (trailer pad) that I need filled with

Wash rock Or Aggregate . approx. 3" deep (opinions please) it is just dirt now & we have a park model coming in soon.

I just wanted to get a ball park price as I have no idea whats fair?

Thanks in advance

Orv.

I hired a Bobcat near Cochrane for $120/hr for a track model on some landscaping work a few times. He has dropped to $100/hr a few times for me as well. I think he's cheaper than others but I haven't checked around.

I have quotes for rock but you're better off just calling your closest gravel pit and they can take care of everything for you. Washed rock is harder to get though.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Honestly, rent a bobcat from any rental company for the day.
Call the local gravel guys, get a truck and pup load of gravel, and spread and pack it yourself.
Way cheaper.
$400.00-600 for gravel
And 250-400 for the rental of the bobcat
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM

And a packer. Rent a walk behind vibratory packer
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM

If the site is already level and the truck can dump right on the pad, spread the gravel with shovels and a rake. It won’t take more than a couple hours and you can pay yourself $200/hour.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Call the local gravel guys, get a truck and pup load of gravel, and spread and pack it yourself.
Way cheaper.
$400.00-600 for gravel
It takes experience to do a decent job. We're talking about a high standard of level and compaction here. Penny wise, Pound foolish, as they say.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If the site is already level and the truck can dump right on the pad, spread the gravel with shovels and a rake. It won’t take more than a couple hours and you can pay yourself $200/hour.
I just did this on a project I couldn't get a machine into. At 35 y/o I figured it would be easy because I did it when I was 20.

Yeah, i'll be hiring some kids next time. Or crane a mini bob cat in. Shoveling rocks is for prisoners and teenagers.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
I just did this on a project I couldn't get a machine into. At 35 y/o I figured it would be easy because I did it when I was 20.

Yeah, i'll be hiring some kids next time. Or crane a mini bob cat in. Shoveling rocks is for prisoners and teenagers.
No kidding I did that once in my cabin and it just about killed me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post

I am just about double your age so I hear ya.

renting a bobcat not an option either.

Keep em coming .

Orv.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
I am just about double your age so I hear ya.

renting a bobcat not an option either.

Keep em coming .

Orv.
Times are tough. I bet you find an operator that will do it for $80 an hour. Probably take him half a day. Get the agreement down to a flat rate quote for the day.
As for gravel there are guys that have a conveyor belt slinger on their dump trucks. They will have a flat rate price for truck and gravel. He can spray the rock into place then very little skidder work to do. Then just packing.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Remove top soil to clay grade.

Do not use washed rock : it will never tighten up.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Is it all good native soil under the pad?

Personally I would dig out 4” and then add 6” of road crushed 3/4” and compact it.

Then it would be high and dry and not have to worry about it.
3” is too thin for gravel to compact and underneath soil can easily punch thru.

$90/hour is standard low rate for bobcat. Jbrow is right though cuz a lot of bobcat operators are idle right now.
$100/ hour for tandem truck.

I also would get a lump sum price.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

Personally I would dig out 4” and then add 6” of road crushed 3/4” and compact it.

$90/hour is standard low rate for bobcat. Jbrow is right though cuz a lot of bobcat operators are idle right now.

There wont be concrete or anything going on top of it.
Park model will be skirted after it is set up
I just thought that would keep it a little cleaner underneath
& maybe drain a bit better if need be?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Way cheaper.
$400.00-600 for gravel
I would not recommend this, even if you're an experienced operator, unless you have other things that need bobcat work, this will end up costing you more money.

Spreading 3" of gravel on a 30' X 12' area with a bobcat is about a 15 minute job, including time to pack it down with the bobcat wheels/tracks. It should take a good operator longer to load and unload the machine than it will to do the job.

You'll be looking at a minimum charge, likely $80-150, probably half of what it would cost you to rent one, and no hassle of picking it/dropping it off, or paying them to do that.

For that area, 3" thick, you're only looking at 3.5 yds. A standard 10-12 yd tandem load would give you enough to spread it about 10" thick. Back in the day when I was doing it, delivery was the same price whether it was 3 yds or 12 yds, but we waived the delivery charge on the truckload of gravel if you were getting the bobcat, so in that case, you'd only be paying the added cost of the gravel.

Removing the top few inches of soil and doubling the gravel thickness is good advice if you want it to last, and shouldn't add too much to the cost. If you don't want to go that route, three inches thick is an absolute minimum if you want it to last. If you want the gravel to pack, it can't be washed, you need the clay to bind it, BUT, that means it'll always be dirty/muddy. Crushed/washed rock will be much cleaner, but it won't pack, and you'll end up with it spread all over. Try to find a happy medium, or go with reclaim asphalt/concrete, crusher dust, or even slag.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM

Maybe some minus limestone would work. Compacts nicely and much cleaner than road crush when wet.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

As others have mentioned 20mm road crush (3/4") is what you need if you want a compactable and hard sub base. No limestone, washed rock or anything else will do a thing and you are wasting money - to won't compact, but yeah, it looks nicer. (unless you are thinking limestone crush, which is the same idea).

You can always compact the crush and top dress wiuth some pretty limestone or washed rock but it will eventually sink into the sub-base over a few years - but top dressing shouldn't be more than a couple inches.

The key is 6" of compacted sub-base. Anything less won't last and you cant drive on it too much or it will rut.

It's also 50% trucking cost when buying gravel, so get 8-10 yards and that will give you 6" of compacted subbase that will take truck/trailer traffic.

I bet you pay only $100 more for a full load versus half a load.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:05 PM

No underground services ? Might want to do them first.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Remove top soil to clay grade.

Do not use washed rock : it will never tighten up.

Listen to this...it’s the best advice given so far on this thread.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 PM

3/4" limestone packs in like concrete. We run loaded trucks over it year round on both the farm and our work site where it sees several loaded semi's per day during all seasons of rain and shine. We haven't done any maintenance to it for the past 3 years other than pulling an I-beam road drag over it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

^this is right on the mark.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
3/4" limestone packs in like concrete. We run loaded trucks over it year round on both the farm and our work site where it sees several loaded semi's per day during all seasons of rain and shine. We haven't done any maintenance to it for the past 3 years other than pulling an I-beam road drag over it.
Good to know but will be no traffic over it.
Thanks all for the replies & a couple of contacts via p.m.

Just got the call that i am laid off because of covid 19

the ironic part is i have worked at home for five years

gotta check out the e.i threads now.lol

Orv
Old 04-08-2020, 02:12 PM

If you have a good base that you will be putting the gravel/rock on it should be sufficient just packing with the skidsteer tires or tracks. Everyone is all worried about you packing it tight but they are forgetting that all you are doing is parking your park model trailer on it you will have pads or blocking to support the trailer itself. I’m assuming once the trailer in parked there it will stay there until you give up the lot or buy a different trailer. I understand that all you want is a nice clean look under where the trailer sits so pick something that gives you that and is nice and clean so not having dirt and mud come to the top when it gets wet.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:58 PM

If you want to do a good job you should get rid of the organics first(dirt).
Operator of bobcat will take 30 mins to remove if it's 6 inches deep.
Get one tandem load of 3/4 crush gravel(10 yds)or about 12 tonne.
Make your pad 1' larger all the way around than park model so pad size is 14 x 32'. Use a plate tamper to get good compaction and you should have some water to sprinkle the pad while tamping. Some tampers have water tanks. The size of tamper(weight) will decide thickness of lifts of gravel but i would do 2" lifts with a 200 lb plate tamper with water. If you don't bother with compaction then make sure you put cloth down to stop weeds etc. I think the compaction is the most important part of the job. The operator will be able to lay down the gravel within 30 more minutes at most. Rake it very smooth then compact.

You will have an extra 1.5 yds of crush to put somewhere else or if you end up going deeper than 6" you will use it. If there is dirt mixed with gravel you will never get any compaction.

Gravel will be about 125.00 for a tandem load and about 120 for trucking.

Bobcat will be about 300.00

tamper will be about 100.00

2 men for 2 hours, about 200.00

My estimate for a decent job would be 750. to 900.00
Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Trailer pad

Just my 2 cents for a ton of experience in all kinds of acerage and development work is if your trailer is 12x30 plan for your total footprint of the project as in parking and storage or walking areas in front if your going to have a cistern access for the h2o truck. And as others have stated dig the organics off and take it to competent in situ ground if possible