Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Stove for wall tent

Looking for some help in finding a new stove for my wall tent.
Any makes to stay away from.
12x14
Thank you
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 PM

Bought mine from campers village. Standard thin walled stamped stove. I’m happy with it for the price. Kinda a throw away stove get 5 years and toss it. Did not like the flimsy legs it came with so made my own stand for it. On the upside it’s light to move around. As long as they are in good shape it is easy to control the heat but as soon as they are damaged gotta go. Found myself with bad bronchitis just after hunting one year and realized it was from the lid being damaged and to much smoke in the tent !!!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:22 AM

I had welder make me one, used a old compressor tank, metal, works great just a bit heavy, but in -30 plus temps, still hot in the morning, no flame needed to fire it up again.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 AM

Default stove

The old "Airtight" heaters were great when in tent, hold fire all night. However found not nice to pack in truck and quad trailer. I like nice square heavy walled heater that you can pack pipes inside and nice to pack in truck. Also flat top nice for cooking.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 AM

I have this stove and it’s great, I also ordered a gravity pellet feeder from Colorado stoves and it works pretty awesome.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/34900...rrel-stove-kit

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM

I bought a 20 inch air tight from Campers Village more that 20 yrs ago. I always put a pile of gravel in the bottom before every hunt. It is still solid after all these years.

I have a 12 x 14 old forestry tent. I only wish I bought the bigger model back then. Bigger chunks of wood, more room, less stoking during the night.

I have been wanting to build one but our moose hunting area went to crap so we have not been out to moose camp for a few years. This is the style I have and it is light and works great.

jpg.gif Wood stove.jpg (22.5 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wood stove.jpg (22.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I have this stove and it’s great, I also ordered a gravity pellet feeder from Colorado stoves and it works pretty awesome.

I have the same stove. I like the pellet feeder idea. Will look into it.

Happy with the stove.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Are you camping at the truck, using ATV's, or horses?

If camping at the truck or using quads, I would find a large sturdy stove with a good damper.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM

On our second air tight stove after 30 years of having a wall tent, or 2, or 3 actually!

Went from a 20" that worked great for years til it started to burn out, and have moved up to a 24" now.

You can build a smaller fire, you CAN'T build a larger stove in the bush.

We were in -20 C with the smaller stove, and even though we had amazing dry birch, the back of the tent was cold.

Space is a premium, as you will want some wood in the tent, so go with a vertical wood stove, not a horizontal.

Make sure your stove pipe is tall enough outside the tent (2 foot over peak at least), and put a damper in the first section from the stove. Get a spark screen on the cap to save the tent from embers. use stove wire in at least 2 directions from the cap to stabilize the chimney if the inevitable wind.

Put about 1 - 2 inches of sand in the bottom of the stove before starting to use it.

Finally, if you can get some lump coal, it will make life easier at night, as the coal will keep burning well after the firewood, and then its just a matter of throwing more wood on. If you use coal, you need a good sand layer to stop the burn through of the bottom.

Drewski
Old 04-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
On our second air tight stove after 30 years of having a wall tent, or 2, or 3 actually!

Went from a 20" that worked great for years til it started to burn out, and have moved up to a 24" now.

You can build a smaller fire, you CAN'T build a larger stove in the bush.

We were in -20 C with the smaller stove, and even though we had amazing dry birch, the back of the tent was cold.

Space is a premium, as you will want some wood in the tent, so go with a vertical wood stove, not a horizontal.

Make sure your stove pipe is tall enough outside the tent (2 foot over peak at least), and put a damper in the first section from the stove. Get a spark screen on the cap to save the tent from embers. use stove wire in at least 2 directions from the cap to stabilize the chimney if the inevitable wind.

Put about 1 - 2 inches of sand in the bottom of the stove before starting to use it.

Finally, if you can get some lump coal, it will make life easier at night, as the coal will keep burning well after the firewood, and then its just a matter of throwing more wood on. If you use coal, you need a good sand layer to stop the burn through of the bottom.

Drewski
All great points.

When I had my wall tent, I used all of your tips, and also brought a 2 foot square concrete sidewalk pad to place the stove on for obvious reasons.

BW
Old 04-08-2020, 03:27 PM

I have the wilderness 5 from cavastentshop.ca. It's pretty heavy duty and a bit of a bear to move around but worth it imho. It will burn all night if packed tight and damped down. Got the coal grate to go with it but haven't used it yet. One issue i've had with it is I noticed the door gasket is coming off after last trip. Shouldn't be to hard to put another one on though.

I've noticed four dog stoves get good reviews but never used one.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 PM

Have been using the same mid sized air tight every year since 1987. Trick is to put a layer of sand in the bottom while using.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Have had the same one as Sooner for years, I believe it’s the 2nd largest size. Works great, nice and light and can load it up good when needed.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Drewski, good guide on tent camp stove does and donts. Most guys learn the hard way when their b-ll's freezing or holes in tent.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Have had the same one as Sooner for years, I believe it’s the 2nd largest size. Works great, nice and light and can load it up good when needed.
Nothing like a roaring fire inside and glowing red steel in a dark tent
Old 04-09-2020, 03:42 PM

My brother in law works in a mill and brings me sawdust in 5 gallon pails. Add diesel to it and you have one heck of a fire starter. Throw a little in the stove on top of the wood, lite it and walk away.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
My brother in law works in a mill and brings me sawdust in 5 gallon pails. Add diesel to it and you have one heck of a fire starter. Throw a little in the stove on top of the wood, lite it and walk away.
Cool, never heard of this. Gonna have to try it out camping.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Cool, never heard of this. Gonna have to try it out camping.
When sledding or camping I take a mid size Tabacco tin with that mix, guaranteed to start better than paper or gas 👍
Old 04-10-2020, 10:00 AM

Fire starter. fill paper egg cartoon with dryer lint, pour wax over it. Break one egg section, place 2 large split blocks beside it. Touch match instant fire, also good for quick fire when hunting.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:16 AM

We used a 55gal barrel stove with the door kit in our 16x32 ww2 era green canvas tent for moose hunting mid october.

It also comes with with a damper and hardware for the chimney out the top.

For a smaller stove, id do the same with a 30gal drum if you can drive it in etc...

Put 1" of dirt in the bottom as an insulator to keep the fire off the bottom.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:10 PM

Default used stove

Not sure if you found yourself a stove or not but i do have a used one if you are interested, it is the same as the one i have listed below

Old 04-25-2020, 08:14 AM

Default air tight

If looking for the air tight. I just ordered from Home Hardware and they deliver free to your local store! Good luck in your search.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 AM

The side racks are excellent feature on tent stove. When weather real cold always tend to do supper and breakfast prep on stove/heater. PS hot stove top makes excellent toaster.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:37 AM

I've got the Camp Chef stove now from Cabela's and love it. It is the 3rd one for our tent, with the first being the oval top fed model from Camper's Village, and the second being one that breaks down flat and is designed for a pack horse to take in. Both of my previous stoves were light weight, and able to be lifted with a couple of fingers. Try that with the Camp Shelf, and all you'll get is sore fingers. It seems to hold the heat well, and lasts a decent length of time. We talked about getting the hot water tank for the side, but I'm a little concerned about adding humidity to the inside of the tent.

Add sand in the bottom to protect it from the heat. We keep an old plastic coffee can with some diesel in it in the tent with kindling in it. And with the aid of a propane torch, it helps get the fire going quickly. Breaks down nice and I built a wooden case for it in the off season, which doubles as a table in the tent.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Not sure if you found yourself a stove or not but i do have a used one if you are interested, it is the same as the one i have listed below

PM sent regarding your stove for sale Bighorn1
Old 04-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

4 dog stoves are top notch
Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM

I use a 24 inch airtight in my 12x14. If I fill it right to the top give it a good burn for 10 mins, then damp it right down it will go for 6-8 hours, or all night depending on the wood.

A couple of green pieces of poplar helps for the overnight burn.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:08 PM

I made one out of a propane tank. Heats the tent in -25 heavy but it works. Runs perfectly at 800 degrees
Old 04-28-2020, 08:59 PM

cylinderstoves.com
got my tent and stove from them 15 years ago, still in great condition. I prefer a heavier walled stove than the tinny ones. Also have the water tank and warming tray, would be hard to go without now.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:00 PM

cylinderstoves.com
got my tent and stove from them 15 years ago, still in great condition. I prefer a heavier walled stove than the tinny ones. Also have the water tank and warming tray, would be hard to go without now.