Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Then the democrats are in better shape to win the election ……..lol

Biden seems confused, unsure of where he is, and will likely be wetting his pants and doing the frozen old man stare at people out his window in a year or two. If I was him, I would be buying green bananas.

Sanders is crazy. Although I do believe the US would benefit from a public healthcare option, HOWEVER the way he sets to get there, along with all his other crazy ideas, is too far, too fast for the American people.

By this time, most Americans know Trump is a compulsive liar, excruciatingly ignorant when it comes to international affairs, make impulsive decisions, refuses to believe the experts in any area are smarter than he is, will backstab anyone at any time at the drop of a hat, etc.. etc...

So, yeah, should be a very interesting election.
I agree with most of your assessment of Trump. For me as a conservative type voter, the thing I liked about him initially was that he systematically made liberal heads explode on a daily basis . He was so good at it ,that he caused the Democratic Party to focus so heavily on destroying him that they have very nearly destroyed themselves instead. In that sense he is the smartest guy in the room. That says more about the Democrats unfortunately than it says about Trump. They are in such disarray that the best they can come up with (at this point) is an obviously sick old man with dementia symptoms, it’s crazy when you think about it.

If the Democrats had accepted their loss and gone about their jobs of creating an alternative to Trump and working for the people instead of just focusing on derailing Trump at every corner They would likely be in a position to defeat him. At this point I don’t believe they are . That could change but they need to look at what’s good for America not how they can belittle Trump.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I agree with most of your assessment of Trump. For me as a conservative type voter, the thing I liked about him initially was that he systematically made liberal heads explode on a daily basis . He was so good at it ,that he caused the Democratic Party to focus so heavily on destroying him that they have very nearly destroyed themselves instead. In that sense he is the smartest guy in the room. That says more about the Democrats unfortunately than it says about Trump. They are in such disarray that the best they can come up with (at this point) is an obviously sick old man with dementia symptoms, it’s crazy when you think about it.

If the Democrats had accepted their loss and gone about their jobs of creating an alternative to Trump and working for the people instead of just focusing on derailing Trump at every corner They would likely be in a position to defeat him. At this point I don’t believe they are . That could change but they need to look at what’s good for America not how they can belittle Trump.
Its actually quite fascinating how far the dems have fallen. Really goes to show that entrenched power isnt as invincible as you might think. The old boys club got a little too old without grooming the next gen. Now loonie newcomers like AOC are sliding into place to grab the reigns and less and less Americans can relate to their ideology.

Its hard to imagine them pulling it together for this election or even the next one.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

The Democrats were a disaster before Trump came along, that is why he won. HC was the best they could come up with and now it’s JB. Here’s hoping Trump gets the markets turned around and business booming in his next four years. Maybe the momentum will drag us along as well.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
Its actually quite fascinating how far the dems have fallen. Really goes to show that entrenched power isnt as invincible as you might think. The old boys club got a little too old without grooming the next gen. Now loonie newcomers like AOC are sliding into place to grab the reigns and less and less Americans can relate to their ideology.

Its hard to imagine them pulling it together for this election or even the next one.
They lost their edge during the “hopey,changy”years. Now it looks like their future is radical left. Which will ensure Republican election wins.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:22 AM

Old 04-07-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
The Democrats were a disaster before Trump came along, that is why he won. HC was the best they could come up with and now it’s JB. Here’s hoping Trump gets the markets turned around and business booming in his next four years. Maybe the momentum will drag us along as well.
When Trump said draining the swamp he was right on, now things are starting to surface that no one ever thought was there . By the time he wins again there's a lot critters that were hiding in that swamp that will be exposed.

The dems are a disaster which is not a great thing for both sides.

Hatred is blinding to many people and it's very destructive, nobody in the long run wins.

JD
Old 04-07-2020, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like something you read/hear on Rebel, Breitbart or Fox maybe? ……. or maybe Trump said it?

You will come to find out these are trash rags, not to be trusted by any intelligent person, so full of as much BS as Trump himself.

Here's why …….

Unfortunately, unless he (Comeau) participates and wins delegates in the primary, he is ineligible to receive the democratic nomination ……..

and since he hasn't run in the primaries …..

This simply isn't possible.

Wrong again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp

Cheers
Old 04-07-2020, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
wrong thread..joking joking
Old 04-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Read the article, and here's the quote …..

At the Democratic National Convention, whether it happens conventionally or virtually, Vice President Biden could, and perhaps should, step aside, and ask his delegates to vote to nominate Governor Andrew Cuomo. This, despite the Governor’s declarations of non-candidacy.

So, in order for this to happen Biden would have relinquish his delegates? Is this even remotely plausible or is this just another opinion piece?

And most importantly, How does that work with the existing approved, ratified and accepted national DNC rules? Is that even an option? can someone "give another person" their delegates?

This makes absolutely no sense.

I will say, Cuomo is a far better candidate which would, in my opinion, be a tougher fight for Trump but I can't live in a fantasy world here can I?

I think this is quite far fetched, and as far as I know, isn't allowed according to the rules of the DNC itself?

At least not that I'm aware of …… and why would Biden do it in the first place? He is to disconnected to realize he's not at the circus and clapping his hands as he fills his diaper. Maybe if we give him a lollypop and juice box we can trick him into doing it ….lol.

On a serious note - if this is "legally possible" …….. can you post that info. It seriously wouldn't be the worst move by the dems.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

At the Democratic National Convention, whether it happens conventionally or virtually, Vice President Biden could, and perhaps should, step aside, and ask his delegates to vote to nominate Governor Andrew Cuomo. This, despite the Governor’s declarations of non-candidacy.

So, in order for this to happen Biden would have relinquish his delegates? Is this even remotely plausible or is this just another opinion piece?

And most importantly, How does that work with the existing approved, ratified and accepted national DNC rules? Is that even an option? can someone "give another person" their delegates?

I will say, Cuomo is a far better candidate which would, in my opinion, be a tougher fight for Trump but I can't live in a fantasy world here can I?

I think this is quite far fetched, and as far as I know, isn't allowed according to the rules of the DNC itself?

At least not that I'm aware of …… and why would Biden do it in the first place? He is to disconnected to realize he's not at the circus and clapping his hands as he fills his diaper. Maybe if we give him a lollypop and juice box we can trick him into doing it ….lol.

On a serious note - if this is "legally possible" …….. can you post that info. It seriously wouldn't be the worst move by the dems.
You stated "this simply isn't possible "
Instead of posting opinion go find the fact that it's not allowed according to the DNC rules

I'll wait

Cheers

Last edited by stringer; 04-07-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
And of course you could also look at Alabama and the abysmal failure of HB56, the harshest anti immigration laws in the U.S. Turns out American workers are too good for, and don't want the jobs the immigrants take. Who'da thunk it?

Let's us all know how that $15 head of lettuce from California and $45 chicken from Alabama tastes when all the illegal aliens are back home k?

HB56 was an unmitigated disaster economically. Alabama lost almost 10% of the state's GDP to boot 2.5% of it population, on top of $130 million in state taxes. Its comical how some folks think booting every immigrant will result in more jobs for the locals...probably the same people who don't have a problem buying China made Apple gear.

Don't have to go to Alabama either. Take a look around Alberta and tell me who the people are working those jobs you and your kids are too good for.
Nice deflection. You for some reason have confused open borders with legal immigration. Also ridiculously suggest that if one state enforces immigration laws it’s bad but conveniently ignore the fact that other neighbouring states have differing laws and what effects they may have on the situation.
To be clear there is a difference between legal and illegal immigration and I doubt you will find a credible study that disagrees with the fact that illegal immigration lowers wages.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You stated "this simply isn't possible "
Instead of posting opinion go find the fact that it's not allowed according to the DNC rules

I'll wait

Cheers
WHERE DO I SAY THAT?

I can find 4 places where clearly I am indicating that what I'm saying doesn't sound correct, however, I'm not familiar with all the rules associated with the DNC. If you missed that, or are trying to misrepresent what or how I said it, have a look, I've bolded them for you.

And I also really appreciate your attempt at having me chase this wild goose ….. why would I do that if you posted this?

it doesn't seem plausible to me, but if you are so damn sure …… show me and I will be wrong. I'm cool with that. It doesn't sound right to me.

How about this ........... I'll wait - you said it - I challenged it - now prove it.

I have said things too and been wrong before too, maybe this is one of them -here is your golden opportunity.

Simply replying "wrong" or misrepresenting my words is going nowhere for you.

All we see in your article is a unlikely event that may not even be possible under the rules of the DNC …..this is more trash rag garbage news you would expect to read in Breitbart, the Rebel or Fox ……

Last edited by EZM; 04-07-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can find 4 places where clearly I am indicating that what I'm saying doesn't sound correct, however, I'm not familiar with all the rules associated with the DNC. If you missed that, I've bolded them for you.

Nice try though.

And I also really appreciate your attempt at having me chase this wild goose ….. why would I do that if you posted this? it doesn't seem plausible to me, but if so damn sure …… show me and I will be wrong.

Go for it …. if you say something …. you gotta know by now ….. you might get challenged.

I have said thing too and been wrong before too, maybe this is one of them - go for it - if you can't prove that's possible all I see in your article is a unlikely event that may not even be possible under the rules …..
Bottom of your post #60
I checked the Vegas odds today Cuomo is in third at 40/1 Biden 13/10 Trump 1/1
If Cuomo has no way of becoming the nominee why would Vegas be taking bets on him and all of the other candidates that have all ready dropped out.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2020, 05:19 PM

The DNC changed the rules several times to include and exclude certain people from debates. Maybe other rules can be changed also
Old 04-07-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
If Cuomo has no way of becoming the nominee why would Vegas be taking bets on him and all of the other candidates that have all ready dropped out.

Cheers
Now there's an indicator for you. LOL.

On a serious note - probably better than the article actually ….

If this is possible, then Trump is in serious trouble. I have serious reservations about our current choices right now. Cuomo doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:18 PM

Polls do not seem to mean much anymore, but Trump trails Biden in all of them. Even the latest Fox poll.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Nice deflection. You for some reason have confused open borders with legal immigration. Also ridiculously suggest that if one state enforces immigration laws it’s bad but conveniently ignore the fact that other neighbouring states have differing laws and what effects they may have on the situation.
To be clear there is a difference between legal and illegal immigration and I doubt you will find a credible study that disagrees with the fact that illegal immigration lowers wages.
I'd get your point if those "migrant" workers were displacing skilled American labour but they arent. All states in the area employ migrant workers at various times of the year. They have no other choice. Lowering wages when averaged in, because they work for less, at jobs regular Americans won't take? Hardly applicable. And when a states agricultural base suffers because of the stricter laws? Then you'd best measure both sides of the benefit/loss scale.

Anyways...I don't write the below. My original point was draconian, lack of forward thought laws, like HB56, hurt Alabama. Disagree all you like with the studies authors and history if you like.

""The law’s impact, has been swift and detrimental to the state, with a significant exodus of Latinos. But in a state already ravaged by tornadoes and lagging in economic recovery, the costs and social effects of the law have been particularly harsh.
Overall, as Professor Samuel Addy of the Center for Business and Economic
Research at the University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce and
Business Administration has illustrated, because of H.B. 56, Alabama could lose up
to $10.8 billion (or 6.2 percent of its gross domestic product), up to 140,000 jobs in
the state, $264.5 million in state tax revenue, and $93 million in local tax revenue.
These costs will all be incurred to drive out an undocumented population that is
estimated to be only 2.5 percent of the state—a population that paid $130 million into the state’s tax coffers in 2010.

When immigrant workers began to disappear from the fields, Jerry Spencer of
Grow Alabama initiated a program to recruit unemployed citizens in Birmingham
to take their place. This was one of several efforts hastily developed to replace
the farm labor that disappeared, including a proposal by state Agriculture
Commissioner John McMillan for farmers to hire prisoners under the state’s
work-release program.31 These efforts did almost nothing to curb the losses felt by
farmers, who watched much of their fall harvest spoil in the fields.

Spencer said he isn’t giving up the effort, but in the first weeks of the program,
he found few people who wanted the agricultural jobs, and those who did were
inexperienced and in poor condition for the arduous work.
“It’s going to change the landscape of Alabama if something doesn’t happen. It
will end produce farming in Alabama, and I hate to see that. That’s not what I’m
working for,” Spencer said.

Other farm owners who tried to hire native Alabamans found similar disappoint-
ing results. Chad Smith stated that after putting out a radio ad in Birmingham, he
received about 15 to 20 workers, but “most of them quit. They couldn’t work fast
enough to make the money they thought they could make,” he said.
Vegetable farmer Jeremy Calvert put the issue succinctly: “For us it’s all about survival.
That’s just the bottom line, folks. Without a viable labor source, we cannot survive.""

Last edited by 270person; 04-07-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'd get your point if those "migrant" workers were displacing skilled American labour but they arent. All states in the area employ migrant workers at various times of the year. They have no other choice. Lowering wages when averaged in, because they work for less, at jobs regular Americans won't take? Hardly applicable. And when a states agricultural base suffers because of the stricter laws? Then you'd best measure both sides of the benefit/loss scale.

Anyways...I don't write the below. My original point was draconian, lack of forward thought laws, like HB56, hurt Alabama. Disagree all you like with the studies authors and history if you like.

""The law’s impact, has been swift and detrimental to the state, with a significant exodus of Latinos. But in a state already ravaged by tornadoes and lagging in economic recovery, the costs and social effects of the law have been particularly harsh.
Overall, as Professor Samuel Addy of the Center for Business and Economic
Research at the University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce and
Business Administration has illustrated, because of H.B. 56, Alabama could lose up
to $10.8 billion (or 6.2 percent of its gross domestic product), up to 140,000 jobs in
the state, $264.5 million in state tax revenue, and $93 million in local tax revenue.
These costs will all be incurred to drive out an undocumented population that is
estimated to be only 2.5 percent of the state—a population that paid $130 million into the state’s tax coffers in 2010.

When immigrant workers began to disappear from the fields, Jerry Spencer of
Grow Alabama initiated a program to recruit unemployed citizens in Birmingham
to take their place. This was one of several efforts hastily developed to replace
the farm labor that disappeared, including a proposal by state Agriculture
Commissioner John McMillan for farmers to hire prisoners under the state’s
work-release program.31 These efforts did almost nothing to curb the losses felt by
farmers, who watched much of their fall harvest spoil in the fields.

Spencer said he isn’t giving up the effort, but in the first weeks of the program,
he found few people who wanted the agricultural jobs, and those who did were
inexperienced and in poor condition for the arduous work.
“It’s going to change the landscape of Alabama if something doesn’t happen. It
will end produce farming in Alabama, and I hate to see that. That’s not what I’m
working for,” Spencer said.

Other farm owners who tried to hire native Alabamans found similar disappoint-
ing results. Chad Smith stated that after putting out a radio ad in Birmingham, he
received about 15 to 20 workers, but “most of them quit. They couldn’t work fast
enough to make the money they thought they could make,” he said.
Vegetable farmer Jeremy Calvert put the issue succinctly: “For us it’s all about survival.
That’s just the bottom line, folks. Without a viable labor source, we cannot survive.""
There is a huge industry protecting illegal workers and depressing wages. Also worth mentioning that we use migrant workers here in Canada. They come in on temporary visas to work. Ignoring this option suggests your study is political in nature.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Donald Trump is our saviour.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:24 AM

I have belonged to a lot of American hunting and shooting forums since the inception of the internet. Not once have i ever seen where they ever debated Canadian politics in their general discussion sections. Why? They don’t care? They know when to stay in their lane?? Seems Canada has a lot of “experts” on American politics while our neighbours south of the 49th could care less about our politics...
Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
There is a huge industry protecting illegal workers and depressing wages. Also worth mentioning that we use migrant workers here in Canada. They come in on temporary visas to work. Ignoring this option suggests your study is political in nature.

Well aware of migrant workers in Canada thanks. Would you by chance be including the custom combining crews that come up from the stars every fall and do their loops? The Mexicans that come up annually to pick the Dunvegan area vegetables every year?

Farms get larger every year. The owners, unless they're Hutterite colonies, often don't have access to the manpower required to run all facets of them. Temporary foreign workers here and in the U.S. do much of the work permanent residents won't. That has minimal to zero effect on average wages when they're replacing...nobody.

The discussion only becomes political when someone suggests removing ALL unregistered foreign labor from the picture helps the economy, and as I suggested earlier, if you prefer to pay the kinds of wages where the regular workforce flocks to those opportunities, you won't be able to afford the end results.

You biggestt issue is when those foreign grunt workers have the audacity to stay yes?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I have belonged to a lot of American hunting and shooting forums since the inception of the internet. Not once have i ever seen where they ever debated Canadian politics in their general discussion sections. Why? They don’t care? They know when to stay in their lane?? Seems Canada has a lot of “experts” on American politics while our neighbours south of the 49th could care less about our politics...
They are the dog and we are the tail. They move, we follow.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Makes sense. To be worthy of a discussion or debate one must be a mover and a shaker I guess..
Old 04-08-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
A skinny tail at that. American politics and policy have a huge impact on Canada.

I agree that they do not think about us in the US, we could take a lesson from them on that.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
American politics affects Canadians a lot more than Canadian politics affects Americans.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Saunders has removed himself from the race; it's Biden and Trump headed for the wire.

I'm no fan of Trump, but I would vote for the Republican representative regardless of who's leading the party.

All of the great leaders in the US must have decided that they would rather make 100's of millions of dollars in the private sector than subject themselves to the public scrutiny of life in politics.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

If Biden stays healthy, he'll win the Presidency, the majority of Americans have had enough of Trumps lies and BS.

Trump mishandled the US response to the virus and it will come back to take him out, if he doesn't get sick from it, he'll drop out before the election is over because he's afraid to be a looser!

Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Bottom of your post #60

Cheers
Yes, you are right, but I was still talking about Cuomo as the DNC elected democratic presidential candidate BEFORE we discussed Biden relinquishing his position, and the delegates either voting for him or whatever would have to happen OUTSIDE of the current ratified process.

My point was, they can't just "make him the candidate" unless the other stuff we spoke about is even possible.

I don't really know if he is, or isn't a viable candidate or even if it is possible.

But, you are right, if Vegas is taking odds on it, one would figure there is some sort of mechanism and chain of events that would make it possible for that to happen. So there must be more to this maybe.

Problem is Cuomo said he has no intention of running, Biden has not said he has any intention of relinquishing his position, and it's not clear if there is a way to make this happen.

Either way - it's an interesting thought. If the dems were serious about trying to win, I would say Cuomo is far more electable and palatable to the people "on the fence" in my mind.

Biden is a train wreck. Although fare better than Hillary - my fear is we the election with 2 poor choices once again.

Cuomo, I'd say, is a far better choice He seems to me more like a "conservative democrat" versus a far left crazy.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
If Biden stays healthy, he'll win the Presidency, the majority of Americans have had enough of Trumps lies and BS.

Trump mishandled the US response to the virus and it will come back to take him out, if he doesn't get sick from it, he'll drop out before the election is over because he's afraid to be a looser!
Want to publically put money where mouth is on AO for $100? I will take such a bet.

*The loser snail mails winner on Nov4th/2020*
Old 04-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

Laugh of the day. Thanks.