Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 10:34 PM

Default Making a change

I’ve been thinking for a while now that I need to do something different for work. I’m a jman plumber and I’ve owned my business for the last 5 years. The stress is absolutely killing me. The business itself has done pretty ok the stress isn’t money it’s dealing with people and employees and all those issues. It’s been affecting my family life.

So I started thinking a few weeks ago about what else I could do and decided at the age of 35 I’m going back to university to become a teacher. I’ve had a few friends do it later in life and they all say it was the best decision they ever made.

I’ve always enjoyed teaching and I think this would be a good fit. It’s not awesome money but it’s a decent living with good benefits and pension. My worry is if I don’t do it now I’ll be 40 or 45 and then it really is too late. If the economy is gonna go to crap it might not be a bad time to go to school and let it recover. Anyone else ever made a major career change later in life? Was it a good idea or do you regret doing it?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 PM

A teacher? In this reality? I’d pick another.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40 PM

My friend went to med school at 50

He's a darn good doctor!

You can do it, but start right now
Old 04-05-2020, 10:41 PM

Good for you.
I am an electrician, I've been on the tools for 20 years. In 2009 I took a hiatus from work and went to LA with a rock band hoping to make it big. We were there for seven months, played about 60 shows and made a lot of friends. We did not make it big. We came back to Canada and I still had my ticket to fall back on. That never expires.
All the best.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 PM

Default Nope

I was 36 with a pregnant wife, 2 yr old, and a mortgage when I decided to go back to university and become a teacher. That was almost two decades ago. I like my job most days, love the holidays, but do not like the wages. I will let you google what teachers' raises have been over the last 8 years. You are capped on your earnings no matter how hard you work.

Personally, I would love to have a do-over. I would have headed my arse straight to NAIT and gotten a trade.

Education is heading into really bad times.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:06 PM

Had 3 kids and started a welding apprenticeship at 35. Got through that and was at it for 5 or six yrs ,then switched to on the road welding consumables sales. Did that for 11 yrs and went back to welding. Try new things. It’s not always about the money it’s about enjoying what you’re doing.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:17 PM

KSTEED - Go for it...there is never a surplus of good teachers. And, being “mature” yet still at the bottom of the grid makes you an attractive prospect. If you are short on prerequisites, you may qualify as as a non-matriculated adult.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:44 AM

First step in becoming leader of our nation....

In all seriousness, I've got quite a few friends that are teachers (including a sister-in-law) and today, right now there is so many looking for work and will be for the next 2 years at least. I can't see it getting any better until the world shakes its head and comes back to some sense of normalcy.

I personally couldn't take the stress of being around someone who doesn't listen to me all day. These last 2 weeks with the wife has been hard enough.

But like stated, if you feel that's your role in life - do it! Like you said, waiting another 5 years to make a jump just makes the choice harder in 5 years.

J.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I was 36 with a pregnant wife, 2 yr old, and a mortgage when I decided to go back to university and become a teacher. That was almost two decades ago. I like my job most days, love the holidays, but do not like the wages. I will let you google what teachers' raises have been over the last 8 years. You are capped on your earnings no matter how hard you work.

Personally, I would love to have a do-over. I would have headed my arse straight to NAIT and gotten a trade.

Education is heading into really bad times.
Awww come on we still need teachers....or at least someone to turn the computer room lights on

Kinda like joining the military but it was an adventure....not rich by any means but the life experiences made up for it.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2020, 07:21 AM

I`d likely stay what your doing, have time off when you want, fish, hunt, what ever take a day here and there. Always an argument with teachers pay whether they get enough or not, can go on for years on that issue!!
Take a break if you can afford it like a month? or more. As being self employed YOU pick your jobs, got friends who are tradesmen and that's what they do now, all over 45 years. I know 100% I would stay doing your job vs doing teaching at your age. But go ahead if you wish.
I am sure there are past threads here on teaching, you see a lot of complaints and lots of compassion by them, those are the good ones, but each person choose there career.
Should be some info online for wages teachers make, years back a 10 year teacher was around $85,000.00 per year I think that's a very reasonable wage, not sure what it is now, but some don't think so.
Another thought with todays University cost.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Join the Reserves. See if you like it. If so, transfer to the Regular forces.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My friend went to med school at 50

He's a darn good doctor!

You can do it, but start right now
Thing being, we'll never get our money's worth out of him , or he his investment.

Grizz
Old 04-06-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
I’ve been thinking for a while now that I need to do something different for work. I’m a jman plumber and I’ve owned my business for the last 5 years. The stress is absolutely killing me. The business itself has done pretty ok the stress isn’t money it’s dealing with people and employees and all those issues. It’s been affecting my family life.

So I started thinking a few weeks ago about what else I could do and decided at the age of 35 I’m going back to university to become a teacher. I’ve had a few friends do it later in life and they all say it was the best decision they ever made.

I’ve always enjoyed teaching and I think this would be a good fit. It’s not awesome money but it’s a decent living with good benefits and pension. My worry is if I don’t do it now I’ll be 40 or 45 and then it really is too late. If the economy is gonna go to crap it might not be a bad time to go to school and let it recover. Anyone else ever made a major career change later in life? Was it a good idea or do you regret doing it?
I got my first trade cert straight out of high school, and ever since then have used it’s security to explore alternative activity. I keep coming back because I’m a technical kind of guy, but the knowledge gained is immeasurable. I strongly believe that mobility is one of the strongest skills we can develop in modern times.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Could always teach plumbing at one of the colleges. Sounds like you have the background.

Grizz
Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 AM

I know a guy who has been a framer for probably 20 years, he’s now most of the way through law school.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:33 AM

Do what you have to do to be content waking up every day. You only live once, so if something motivates you go for it.

I am in same boat with different skills that are now unwanted, and at 48 have to try something new. Whatever, it is all part of the journey...go for it.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Default Teacher

I love teaching.... red seal chef here and I can always go cook anytime I want.
If I was you I’d get that degree, teach plumbing and do cash jobs on my time off.
Best of both worlds.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM

Default of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
I`d likely stay what your doing, have time off when you want, fish, hunt, what ever take a day here and there. Always an argument with teachers pay whether they get enough or not, can go on for years on that issue!!
Take a break if you can afford it like a month? or more. As being self employed YOU pick your jobs, got friends who are tradesmen and that's what they do now, all over 45 years. I know 100% I would stay doing your job vs doing teaching at your age. But go ahead if you wish.
I am sure there are past threads here on teaching, you see a lot of complaints and lots of compassion by them, those are the good ones, but each person choose there career.
Should be some info online for wages teachers make, years back a 10 year teacher was around $85,000.00 per year I think that's a very reasonable wage, not sure what it is now, but some don't think so.
Another thought with todays University cost.
why would you not want to work for 6 1/2 months and get paid for 12. Start at 9 finish at 3.15 with 2 breaks to get your marking done!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I will let you google what teachers' raises have been over the last 8 years. You are capped on your earnings no matter how hard you work.

What trade in Alberta pays 90k a year plus pension, sick time, holidays and great benefits for 7 months of full time work?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
What trade in Alberta pays 90k a year plus pension, sick time, holidays and great benefits for 7 months of full time work?
Not to mention job security
Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post

Its not easy owning your own business
And like you said, the job isnt the hard part. Its dealing with all the people
Good time right now to clean house. Lots of guys looking for work. I used to go out of my way for every guy that worked for me. Guys just took advantage of it. I stopped doing it last year and dumped more than half my guys. The drama was killing me. Best decision ever. Less guys working is usually more efficient. Make you more money. Their job is to make you money, your business isnt there to give them a job.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Drug trade possibly. If you are good at it.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
HD mechanic. 4 on 4 off. 4 weeks holidays, 2 sick days, good benefits, defined contribution plan.

The pension may not be as comparable but it’s something.

Edit- non union.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:02 AM

I got laid off from logging in BC 20 years ago. I got laid off from the oil patch in Alberta 5 years ago. Now at 54 years old I am a 2nd year apprentice heavyduty mechanic. Your never too old.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:46 AM

I can relate to the dealing with people aspect or herding cats and baby sitting grown men as I call it. I've made major carrier changes three times now and feel it's never too late. Last time was at 53. As others here have said, if it makes you happy go for it you'll always have your trade to go back to and you're still young.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Changed horses quite a few times in my life. Short attention span I suppose. Spent about 20 + summers paving roads when I was a younger fella. Winter I worked seismic crews. Somewhere early 30's went to SAIT and took electronics. Ended up working with computers, but got laid off in the early nineties oil crash. Ended up in a concrete pipe plant working as a labourer, did a bit of welding etc. Sometime around early 40's took an electrical apprenticeship. Probably the best thing I did. Tough couple years at first. The wages weren't what I was used to. Paid off in the end.

If I can do it you can. Best of luck whatever you choose!
Old 04-06-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
7 months?
Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 PM

My wife was (is) in the educational system for many years. Wages could be better, but the median wage, for Alberta Teachers of $78K isn't terrible. I'd say, for people who educate out next generation, probably too low - this is an important job for us and our kids.

Certainly the summers and vacation times off are a HUGE benefit to teachers. My wife, although "in management" still gets most of this time off and does say it's a huge perk and I'd agree.

The really good thing is the benefits and pension - that part is outstanding, and keep in mind that's probably worth $15,000 by itself / yr. Much better than any public sector job out there.

In my mind, it might actually be one of the best jobs out there as long as you can make the wages work.

Last edited by EZM; 04-06-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 PM

Go for it. I believe there are options for tradesmen making the leap for the workforce to university. I'm pretty sure you are given credit for one year of university if you can show relevant experience with your ticket, but I may be wrong. Someone I know had a trade and is just about finished his university to become a teacher. He is going to be a shop teacher from what I hear are more in demand than most teachers.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:40 PM

Wrong thread