Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM

Another vote for using Grandpas 270. Hunting out of a blind it is pretty easy to make sure you don't mark up the gun. Outside of nostalgia, any of the three will be fine. Don't let anyone tell you that shooting a good bear over bait is an easy hunt. Baiting good bears is a real talent and it is going to take you some time to learn to do it real well. What Osky posted is spot on. Start with some Barley, old donuts, grease and a Beaver Carcass hung between two trees. Try to set your bait near a beaver damn, running water and close to somewhere that the grass and dandelions green up first in the spring. You will learn to adjust from there.

Take LOTS of pictures of the whole hunt from bait setup to skinning out your prize. It will make great memories. Best of luck.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Oh you are probably right and honestly my opinion is only I would personally feel comfortable with a little more punch when bones involved. I don’t doubt that a 243 with a good bullet could also get the job done

The opinion is based on the little warm and fuzzy feeling I get with the little extra punch not facts
Agree with comfortable as the OP was told take what is comfortable, reliable and you feel you can accurately take a bear with one shot type deal...all those calibres are very capeable...

Sometimes little is more....just talk to outfitters who have clients over gunned and actually recoil shy....makes for a crappy hunt tracking a critter...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Agree with comfortable as the OP was told take what is comfortable, reliable and you feel you can accurately take a bear with one shot type deal...all those calibres are very capeable...

Sometimes little is more....just talk to outfitters who have clients over gunned and actually recoil shy....makes for a crappy hunt tracking a critter...
Not talking magnums here still moderate recoil.

We are on the same page don’t worry. I have been the guy heading in to finish off another’s mistake more than a few times.

I am a firm believer in accuracy over power. I don’t even own a magnum lol
Old 04-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Will be a Ross up between the 243 and the 270 but I have some time to make up my mind!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchip View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Will be a Ross up between the 243 and the 270 but I have some time to make up my mind!
Enjoy your hunt and good luck
Old 04-05-2020, 12:41 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but if one of your rifles is shorter/lighter/more compact that’s what I’d go with. Over bait you won’t need a long-barreled tack-driver, I’d go with what’s easiest to maneuver. Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:39 AM

I killed my 13th bear last spring. I’ve taken them from 18 to 325 yards. I’ve used a 7mm mag, 7 STW, 300 win mag, 375-338 mag, and a 35 Remington, and a couple I’ve forgotten about now.

The 35 Remington was a spot and stock to 15 yards in thick alders. Shot was at 18 yards with my grandfathers 35 Remington. Of all those bears, this one stood out from the rest, it really was special, use your grandfathers rifle, you will be happy you did.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Have been hunting bears for almost 20yrs and guided bear hunters in BC for 5+. Say 60ish bears hunted/guided/helped kill.

The biggest mistake most people make when hunting Black Bear is being over gunned. Recoil is no one's friend, especially if you're unfamiliar with the rifle. I'd much rather see someone show up with a 243 they can shoot, then a 375HH they can't. Guided that exact scenario before, didn't end well.

Black bear die very easy with a good heart/lung shot. 270 would probably be my pick out of your collection. I have seen plenty killed with a 300 and a few with a 243. My favorite black bear bullet when I owned a 270 was a 150gr Sierra Gameking. bears went down like they were hit by lightening when you slipped one behind the shoulder or frontally through the chest. Don't try and break a shoulder with it though.

Last edited by Samik; 04-07-2020 at 10:41 AM.