Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Jeeze, how things can change. Getting a little nervous. I would imagine that Halley's guests are at least 90% American. With the border shutdown, I'm wondering if they'll even operate this season. I don't see that border opening for months.
Yes, existing bookings or making bookings at this time is risky. I have another West coast trip in July as I'm sure other on here do. Fine for now...but you never know.

I hope it turns out for you.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
I sure hope you do Pine.... fun country to fish. I’ve got a summer ful of fishingstarting mid June in Athebasca country on up to Slave then across to northern Ontario. Even two jobs o we go Alaska it it’s all in trouble I fear.

Osky
That sounds like a great plan. I hope it happens for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Sadly, summer 2020 is going to be a total write off. We're nowhere near the worst of this virus outbreak yet. It's going to get scary in the next two months.
Scary is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yes, existing bookings or making bookings at this time is risky. I have another West coast trip in July as I'm sure other on here do. Fine for now...but you never know.

I hope it turns out for you.
Hope it works out for you as well! I've been as excited as a child on Christmas for this trip. We can always go next year, but with my dad turning 75 this fall, there aren't going to be limitless opportunities.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Pine...
So many years ago when I fished those same waters a 1/4 oz jig with a blue and white rapped fuzzy body was the best on walleyes. We put a piece of gullet from filleted fish on the hook and caught the heck out of them all day long.
I'm not sure using gullet can be done anymore but a sparkly rubber tail would probably work just as well?
Let's hope the best for all travel this summer.

Osky
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 AM

I was turned back at the Ontario boarder unless I had a cottage to isolate for 14 days, I have a large parcel of land with a cabin on it,but I was going to fish 100 miles further east. Plus I need to go by ice road or lake, I the ice is pretty mussy after this rain and wet snow for 3 days.

So if FW asked me for my license for fishing and it has only a few days showing the time I bought it,then I would not have isolated like I was suppose to so I will wait till it's opens.

Walleye season is closed here so another 6 weeks, there's plenty of guys who are in the same boat as me so whining about it doesn't do no good,were all kinda stuck.In 4 weeks I can go to camp and isolate,but I won't go anywhere till I know my whole family is safe from this virus,,there more important then any fish.

Your truck breaks down or someone dings you ,anything can happen and you need others help and your a danger in there eyes if your a stranger,99.9 chance all would be good,but why risk it.

Plus I got access tonight to a very nice cabin by Thompson ,so I might take the whole gang there.

It's hard to make plans during a time like this, family first and take it from there.

I got 6 trays full of older jigs to repair about 30 lbs worth,so I need to remove old paint and rust ,plus a pile of spoons that need to be touched up,so I will tinker away, repair a couple rods,i got one electric downrigger plus a manual one ,so I have another electric which only needs a new belt and few wires fixed.

ALL the best

JD

Last edited by JD848; 04-06-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM

We're going! Leave August 7th and fish from the 8th to the morning of the 13th.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Booked another 5 day trip for August, this time to a Halley’s outpost named Dowswell Lake. Time to learn how to catch lakers in late summer!
Old 02-27-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Booked another 5 day trip for August, this time to a Halley’s outpost named Dowswell Lake. Time to learn how to catch lakers in late summer!
Take the proper pole, a dipsy diver, some flashy spoons. You can make the trolling easier on yourself by getting a Down East S10 rod holder.
Hope for some hazy or Rainey mornings. A day of rain they’ll bite all the way thru. Run that dipsy with 85-90 feet of line off the reel, that’ll run the lure 45’ deep or so. When trolling be sure to zig zag, don’t just run straight.
Have the net ready.

Osky

You can jig them as well of course, I just prefer keep the boat wandering. Some evenings those trout will come up hi, trolling a rapala or similar will get it done.

Last edited by Osky; 02-27-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
How did the trip go last year?

We ended up out there as well I think probably about a week before you. Fished around Kenora for the most part, but did a day on the Winnipeg river around Rough Rock and fished a day on another small lake around Minaki for smallies. The bass fishing was on fire! Only found a couple small muskies on the river though and walleye bite was extremely tough!

We are going to head out there again this year, probably for Musky opener in June though.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Take the proper pole, a dipsy diver, some flashy spoons. You can make the trolling easier on yourself by getting a Down East S10 rod holder.
Hope for some hazy or Rainey mornings. A day of rain they’ll bite all the way thru. Run that dipsy with 85-90 feet of line off the reel, that’ll run the lure 45’ deep or so. When trolling be sure to zig zag, don’t just run straight.
Have the net ready.

Osky

You can jig them as well of course, I just prefer keep the boat wandering. Some evenings those trout will come up hi, trolling a rapala or similar will get it done.
I’ll definitely be reaching out to you closer to time, as I don’t have a damn clue what I’m doing when it comes to lakers. Only fished for them once while guided on Red Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
How did the trip go last year?

We ended up out there as well I think probably about a week before you. Fished around Kenora for the most part, but did a day on the Winnipeg river around Rough Rock and fished a day on another small lake around Minaki for smallies. The bass fishing was on fire! Only found a couple small muskies on the river though and walleye bite was extremely tough!

We are going to head out there again this year, probably for Musky opener in June though.
The trip was great! We had some surprisingly windy days, but the fishing was great. Non-stop bass, and I got into a few really nice walleye.

That’s awesome about the musky. I’ve never fished for them; mind you I’ve never fished water that have them either.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Osky is giving good advice. Another method is long lining with trolling weights 3-6oz will get you down up to 60feet give or take depending on the amount of line you have out. Spoons are a go to for Lakers but myself I like J plugs, flatfish, believers, and large crankbaits with a wide action. Zigzag trolling is also good advice but when trolling lures that float I like to bump the throttle or pause as well. They have a bad habit of following so breaks in lure action help trigger strikes

Trying to convince the wife we should do a trip for musky in Ontario this year but she is worried Covid restrictions might screw things up. Never fished Ontario but it’s on the list
Old 02-28-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Osky is giving good advice. Another method is long lining with trolling weights 3-6oz will get you down up to 60feet give or take depending on the amount of line you have out. Spoons are a go to for Lakers but myself I like J plugs, flatfish, believers, and large crankbaits with a wide action. Zigzag trolling is also good advice but when trolling lures that float I like to bump the throttle or pause as well. They have a bad habit of following so breaks in lure action help trigger strikes

Trying to convince the wife we should do a trip for musky in Ontario this year but she is worried Covid restrictions might screw things up. Never fished Ontario but it’s on the list
Great points Smokey. I’m a blade/spoon guy so that’s where my head was at. That lake is on the south edge of the park, I’ve been over it often but never down on it to know the water clarity. That will dictate things a bit.
Deep humps are a bonanza, and in lakes like that pulling a lipped bait 30-35’ deep around sharp points will usually give up some really big pike.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 02-28-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Great points Smokey. I’m a blade/spoon guy so that’s where my head was at. That lake is on the south edge of the park, I’ve been over it often but never down on it to know the water clarity. That will dictate things a bit.
Deep humps are a bonanza, and in lakes like that pulling a lipped bait 30-35’ deep around sharp points will usually give up some really big pike.

Osky
Have you fished Dowswell or any of it’s close portages (Bilko, Sylvia, Veronica)?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Sadly, summer 2020 is going to be a total write off. We're nowhere near the worst of this virus outbreak yet. It's going to get scary in the next two months.
Quote:
Have you fished Dowswell or any of it’s close portages (Bilko, Sylvia, Veronica)?
No I am sorry I have not. Flown over them often to a variety of lakes in the Park just north of there and points farther up.
JD... may have gotten in there you might try asking him?

Osky
Old 02-28-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No I am sorry I have not. Flown over them often to a variety of lakes in the Park just north of there and points farther up.

Osky
I never fished that one, 8 miles east and i fished lakes all over in there, cut portages into Vanance lake plus another to the west in the 70's. I spent months with only myself and sometimes guests and never seen a boat,the odd plane.

I did know a guy who helped build that cabin on Dowswell ,but he is history.George Land was a FN trapper up in there 50 years ago also history.

If i remember correctly there's a creek at the south end takes you into Homer, the guy told me of nice pike and walleye. I flew into that lake in the spring before ice out,but we fished 4 lakes in that area in those 2 days.

Either way there's good fishing in dowswell, dipsy divers,bottom bouncers of all sizes up to two ounce running some type of spinner or spoon and you will do well. Cabela's sell all types of spinners with swivels that you just replace a different spinner blade .So buy 6 packs of different colors and troll it at different speeds doing zig zags and they will hit. Jigs drifting into the structures will do well also.

I flew over and around it many times looking at the structure so get the pilot to do a twist around the lake and memorize the structures if it's not to windy,there will be maps in the cabin or Jean or his son will point you in the best spots.

Enjoy your trip ,nothing beats being the only people on a lake.

I might book a trip this summer if i can get my grandson in a bush plane, thinking maybe Sydney about 8 miles east of Dowswell.That lake has little pressure and it has everything a guy could want if you don't catch a hundred walleye a day it's a bad day, nice lakers ,no musky??,but big darn pike. Sydney is at the top of my list for fishing,it's as good as needs to be.

ALL the best on your trip and try the portages out if you get a chance, there full of fish.

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 02-28-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Osky
You're a lucky man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I never fished that one, 8 miles east and i fished lakes all over in there, cut portages into Vanance lake plus another to the west in the 70's. I spent months with only myself and sometimes guests and never seen a boat,the odd plane.

I did know a guy who helped build that cabin on Dowswell ,but he is history.George Land was a FN trapper up in there 50 years ago also history.

If i remember correctly there's a creek at the south end takes you into Homer, the guy told me of nice pike and walleye. I flew into that lake in the spring before ice out,but we fished 4 lakes in that area in those 2 days.

Either way there's good fishing in dowswell, dipsy divers,bottom bouncers of all sizes up to two ounce running some type of spinner or spoon and you will do well. Cabela's sell all types of spinners with swivels that you just replace a different spinner blade .So buy 6 packs of different colors and troll it at different speeds doing zig zags and they will hit. Jigs drifting into the structures will do well also.

I flew over and around it many times looking at the structure so get the pilot to do a twist around the lake and memorize the structures if it's not to windy,there will be maps in the cabin or Jean or his son will point you in the best spots.

Enjoy your trip ,nothing beats being the only people on a lake.

I might book a trip this summer if i can get my grandson in a bush plane, thinking maybe Sydney about 8 miles east of Dowswell.That lake has little pressure and it has everything a guy could want if you don't catch a hundred walleye a day it's a bad day, nice lakers ,no musky??,but big darn pike. Sydney is at the top of my list for fishing,it's as good as needs to be.

ALL the best on your trip and try the portages out if you get a chance, there full of fish.

Cheers
JD
Fishing Vanance is one of my favourite memories. We were at the main lake (don't remember the name - they don't have it anymore) and portaged to Vanance. Trolled around some bays and eventually found one where we hit nice walleye consistently during a few passes. After deciding to jig and drift that bay, we hit 20in walleye non-stop for over an hour. One of the pilots from Halley's came in for a routine check-up and tied his lane to a tree onshore and hopped on our boat to try to bring home a few eaters. After putting back a pile that were too big, he finally managed a few. Said his goodbyes, hopped back into the plane, and flew away. What an afternoon. We returned to that main lake and portaged to Vanance on several more occasions, but weren't able to relive the magic.

I'll be sure to follow your trout recommendations. I'm mostly excited for the bass in Dowswell, as well as the walleye in the portages, but I wouldn't be opposed to catching a few lakers as well. I'm hoping you get out there this summer!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You're a lucky man!

Fishing Vanance is one of my favourite memories. We were at the main lake (don't remember the name - they don't have it anymore) and portaged to Vanance. Trolled around some bays and eventually found one where we hit nice walleye consistently during a few passes. After deciding to jig and drift that bay, we hit 20in walleye non-stop for over an hour. One of the pilots from Halley's came in for a routine check-up and tied his lane to a tree onshore and hopped on our boat to try to bring home a few eaters. After putting back a pile that were too big, he finally managed a few. Said his goodbyes, hopped back into the plane, and flew away. What an afternoon. We returned to that main lake and portaged to Vanance on several more occasions, but weren't able to relive the magic.

I'll be sure to follow your trout recommendations. I'm mostly excited for the bass in Dowswell, as well as the walleye in the portages, but I wouldn't be opposed to catching a few lakers as well. I'm hoping you get out there this summer!
Pine.
Pick up some barrel swivels, some plain snap clips, and a length of Stealth fishing line. 80 or 100lb strength. Tie a swivel on, measure out about 14 inches of Stealth, cut and tie off the clip on that end. This will give you a very flexible leader and the heavy poundage will keep most, not all, pike from biting thru it. Use these home made leaders when bass and walleye fishing there and you have a very good chance of landing some trophy pike.

I put these on for all my clients wether jigging, trolling, casting, doesn’t matter. Big pike/musky just can’t seem to layoff those bass and walleye baits.

Note above where I mentioned trolling in 30 feet or so off points. Big pike and big small mouth Will hang at that depth waiting for the Cisco or whitefish schools to move in towards shore to feed. Good times.

Osky
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You're a lucky man!

Rolston or Giving lake might be where you stayed to portaged into Vanance, i came in from Rowdy then up the falls onto Chaval then into Rolston then into vanance, made for a long day of fishing and site seeing.

The main Walleye whole in Rolston was right out front of where the cabin is now built, nothing was there when i went into those lakes.

No one had any boats up that way so a it was hot fishing, plus back then it was just great to go explore the area.

JD
Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Rolston or Giving lake might be where you stayed to portaged into Vanance, i came in from Rowdy then up the falls onto Chaval then into Rolston then into vanance, made for a long day of fishing and site seeing.

The main Walleye whole in Rolston was right out front of where the cabin is now built, nothing was there when i went into those lakes.

No one had any boats up that way so a it was hot fishing, plus back then it was just great to go explore the area.

JD
Shining times back 50 years ago in that country JD... the fish were big and plenty. Spinning gear, green box depth finders and rapalas were changing things forever.
People hit those lakes hard. 20-25 years ago the smart outfitters went to catch and release, eat what you can and let the rest go. It is really paying off. There are some lakes again up there and in the Park where you can find walleyes at a 21-22 inch average catchem all day long. I know a few with 22-23 inch average size again.
I enjoy reading of the folks here heading up that way. Flying in, personal gear, basic fishing boats, cribbage boards, alone on the lakes but for loons by day and the dancing lights at night. I hope everyone here gets to experience what we lived.

Osky
Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 AM

2.5 months until Dowswell

Thanks for the laker tips, I'll be making a trip to Cabela's shortly.