Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 PM

Default School me on bino harness's

First off shout out to Bob at McBain camera. I knew he was a swaro dealer so I'd sent him a PM a month or so ago asking where to send my binos for a servicing. He suggested I take them to the Red Deer shop and he would look after it from there. He called me last Thursday, said he had them in his hands, and sent them back down to Red Deer for me. Thanks again Bob!

Service at Swaro of course top notch. After 15ish years of getting packed around, drug across barb wire fences, bouncing off a saddle horn, laying in the rocks on the side of a mountain in the snow, ect…. a tune-up was in order. I got them back with all new armouring, new objective lenses, new eye cups, new objective protective caps, aligned, cleaned inside and out, and a repair on the focus mechanism. Like a brand new set of binos aside from the coating wear and dings on the metal parts, strictly cosmetic. All that for $210. I was impressed, everything repaired was due to use/abuse.

Anyways thinking I might try to take a bit better care of them now...for now...
I have always used a swaro bino harness that I bought shortly after I bought the binos. They work great, far better than hanging them off your neck of course.
The regular harness doesn't off much protection unless you tuck them inside you jacket, so was thinking of maybe trying one with the protective case on it as well. Are they user friendly at all? Worth using or just send binos back every few years for a tune-up?

Link to one brand just for an example

https://www.kuiu.com/global/shop/mou...ar-binoharness
Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 PM

I have that exact bino harness.
I have the XL for a set of Vortex Razor UHD 12x50 binos.
I really like it. It holds the binos tight to your chest. Easy to adjust for layers of clothing.
I think the pro version will be better, but Kuiu is saying it wont be back in stock until May.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 PM

Alaska guide creations...
Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 PM

Another vote for alaska guide creations there great.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:33 PM

Check out FHF and Alaska Guide Creations harnesses as well. Try to find an example to see how they fit your glass. They are both premium products with maximum protection for your binos.

I personally like a storage pouch or two and a compartment for a rangefinder- you won’t need this if you have ranging binos.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:03 PM

Alaska Guide Creations again...………...had a Horn Hunter and wore it out...
Old 03-10-2020, 10:48 PM

Kuiu PRO bono harness. Incline the binos in 2 seconds if you have a partner/ kid that wants a look. Waterproof. Rear access as opposed to front (like vortex and other cheaper ones). I went from the badlands and haven’t looked back. Very lightweight too. One of my finest pieces of gear
Old 03-10-2020, 10:52 PM

Take a look at marsupial gear, I also had Alaska guide creations but found them a bit to bulky for me. They were good just personal preference.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 AM

FHF gear. Compact enough to shoot prone with and with great cover and protection.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-11-2020, 08:10 AM

I have two of the Kuiu and really like them. Lower profile for prone shooting, lid pulls forward, easy to pull binos out with one hand. My buddy has the badlands but the magnet in the lid makes a click sound which is not cool when elk are close. Had a look at the Alaska creation but just seems too bulky.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Kuiu

Kuiu for me. Been great the last 3 seasons.
Lightweight, fits great, ultra quiet.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:39 AM

Another vote for FHF here, super comfortable easy one handed use and keeps your binos protected and close to your chest.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:55 AM

I have the Alpz one, ordered on amazon, very happy with it. Cheaper than most too.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Just bought a T&K myself.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Kuiu PRO bono harness. Incline the binos in 2 seconds if you have a partner/ kid that wants a look. Waterproof. Rear access as opposed to front (like vortex and other cheaper ones). I went from the badlands and haven’t looked back. Very lightweight too. One of my finest pieces of gear
Oops realized the typo:

“Unclip” the binos in 2 seconds. That’s a feature not many harnesses have. It’s very nice to be able to remove quickly if need be. Further clarity: you don’t have to remove the harness off your back to unclip the binos. Basically a much quicker releasing system than most brands I’ve seen.

Can’t emphasize the convenience of the rear opening and folding/staying of the Kuiu harness. Check out the video on it. It’s sweet. Very compact and good quality.
Another great, subtle feature is they have reversed the male/female clips on each side. This helps quite a bit when putting it on. If you have 2 male ends, you know you reached and grabbed the wrong strap. Most harnesses I’ve had don’t do this and once in a while it twists and you buckle in with a twisted strap. Just a slight annoyance eliminated with this harness.

I’m not typically a high end brand Koolaid drinker unless they get it right. In this case, they’ve hit it out of the park.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I will research the suggestions
Old 03-11-2020, 04:46 PM

AGC.

Kuiu falls down when you take the bino's out.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2020, 05:30 PM

S4 Lockdown`s work really well for me. Fast deployment and protective.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:53 PM

Interesting post, hunted for over fifty years, never used a bino harness.
I guess I concluded them to bring bulky, slow and in the way. Question, when wearing a backpack, how does the bino harness ride under and against your backpack? What are the main advantages of using one?
Maybe I need to reconsider not using one!
Old 03-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Alaska guide creations here aswell with a fhf bear spray holster attached to the bottom of it
Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 PM

I haven’t noticed my FHF harness at all under my pack, they do make a pack attachment kit for the FHF which uses the shoulder straps of the pack as your harness. Not sure what I think of that idea though. The old harness I had bounced when I walked and didn’t keep my glass out of the elements. I also like the convenience of having my diaphragms, tags, knife, rangefinder, binos and wind checker all in one grab and go system.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Interesting post, hunted for over fifty years, never used a bino harness.
I guess I concluded them to bring bulky, slow and in the way. Question, when wearing a backpack, how does the bino harness ride under and against your backpack? What are the main advantages of using one?
Maybe I need to reconsider not using one!
I've worn out one bino harness pack and onto my second. Could not see myself not using one now. They do not interfere with my pack(s) and I do not feel it riding under my pack.

Advantages:

When you bend over your binos stay with your chest as opposed to swinging freely (you can crawl);
Your binos are protected from dust, dirt, rain, snow; and
Depending on your harness case, there may be an assortment of pouches to accommodate a range finder, game calls, mobile phone, spare batteries, lens cloth, knife, compass, matches, para cord, licenses, tags...…. in fact you may not need a pack for short excursions.

Cons: Well I guess you have to buy one to know one
Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 PM

Ya I love my Alaska guide creations guide harness. Looking at it they are the same as the vortex ones. Um guessing they just licensed it and put a vortex patch on there. Buying that will be less then importing a Alaska guide.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've worn out one bino harness pack and onto my second. Could not see myself not using one now. They do not interfere with my pack(s) and I do not feel it riding under my pack.

Advantages:

When you bend over your binos stay with your chest as opposed to swinging freely (you can crawl);
Your binos are protected from dust, dirt, rain, snow; and
Depending on your harness case, there may be an assortment of pouches to accommodate a range finder, game calls, mobile phone, spare batteries, lens cloth, knife, compass, matches, para cord, licenses, tags...…. in fact you may not need a pack for short excursions.

Cons: Well I guess you have to buy one to know one
Thanks for you feedback. I will reconsider trying one.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious what Badlands system you went from?
I use a magnetic Badlands harness that is very weather tight and silent with the magnets. The tether length is long enough to let someone else look through the binos while you are wearing them but if you choose to unclip it is extremely fast and easy with the 2 snap rings. Side pouch on one side holds my GPS, other side is my knife. Bottom pouch holds the rangefinder in hunting season and in shed hunting season it holds a snack or some toilet paper...
Been happy with it but am wondering if the Kuiu is really that much better?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 AM

Mystery ranch the only thing I don’t like is the lid set up on it otherwise all good
Old 03-12-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Oops realized the typo:

“Unclip” the binos in 2 seconds. That’s a feature not many harnesses have. It’s very nice to be able to remove quickly if need be. Further clarity: you don’t have to remove the harness off your back to unclip the binos. Basically a much quicker releasing system than most brands I’ve seen.

Can’t emphasize the convenience of the rear opening and folding/staying of the Kuiu harness. Check out the video on it. It’s sweet. Very compact and good quality.

Another great, subtle feature is they have reversed the male/female clips on each side. This helps quite a bit when putting it on. If you have 2 male ends, you know you reached and grabbed the wrong strap. Most harnesses I’ve had don’t do this and once in a while it twists and you buckle in with a twisted strap. Just a slight annoyance eliminated with this harness.

I’m not typically a high end brand Koolaid drinker unless they get it right. In this case, they’ve hit it out of the park.

Are you able to fit a rangefinder in one of the side pockets? I carry a leupold 1200i (about 3x4”) and would love to be able to keep it in the side pocket.

Thanks

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 AM

My vote goes to t+k hunting gear, hade the kuiu and a couple of others and they were on but find the narrow straps start to dig into the shoulders as the day goes. T+k the straps are twice as wide makes it much comfier for me, made by a vet in the states with all american made materials 500d, also has quick disconnects like a couple of the others.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Ok, first lesson: the plural form of harness is harnesses.

Couldn’t resist.

Aside from that, I have two systems. I use a dedicated harness like FHF when i’m also carrying a pack. When I’m hunting lighter, on foot within a couple of clicks from truck or camp, I like to use only a Badlands bino chest pack, which is big enough to also hold knife, tags, and a few other essentials.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Are you able to fit a rangefinder in one of the side pockets? I carry a leupold 1200i (about 3x4”) and would love to be able to keep it in the side pocket.

Thanks
DR
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a separate attachment for a range finder. I use range finding binos so I haven't really looked into it. By bro in law uses the range finder pouch and likes it.