Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Random camping

Has anyone heard anything about this yet. I know it’s early but once it warms up will that be banned? I can’t see why as long as your with your family or on your own. But I have been out to the May long weekend gong shows before. I think that might ruin any chances for any random camping unless this social distancing is done by end of May.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 AM

By the sounds of it, after Kenny's speech last night, social distancing will be part of regular life well past May. It will be a very gradual return to 'normal'. It sucks that my May long group trip will not happen, my wifes motorcycle course (bought and paid for at the end of May) is also likely gonzo. Such is life.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Bush camping

With people not at work, children not in school, parks closed, campgrounds
closed. There is likely to be many people wanting to go random camping, that they will create more problems like wildfires. getting stuck, dogs running loose and several other types of problems. Every one says, well I do this or I don`t do that, other people may have problems but I
Don`t create issues for other people STAY HOME
Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

I see BC just put and end to a lot of things .
Old 04-08-2020, 11:17 AM

There's a popular random camping spot just North of my home town that's posted "No Camping" .
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Word is May 1 a full fire ban is likely...... the last thing we need with the virus and it’s protocols is wildfires on top of it all.(630 CHED a few days ago).

Also think about the whole social distancing thing, with random camping, extra trips for groceries and fuel etc.

Time for a Paradigm shift folks..... the new normal isn’t the old normal.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 AM

I would not be surprised to see a ban on all green area recreational activities like camping, quadding and hunting come May 1st due to Covid 19.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM

Default random camping

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of changes There's already a total fire ban on here. I suspect most don't realize impact of their decisions to go out, take the family and dog to the favorite camp spot to have good time, just a little break from being shut down. What happens is, dog runs off chasing after ??? kids in tow, ma notices kids didn't come back, assumes worst, husband goes looking for kids and dog has heart attack, wife totally loses it, races to nearest help, totaling SUV against front of fire truck responding to non compliant fire call. Seems extreme but when stuff can go wrong it will at the worst possible time. Why risk the exposure of yourself or forcing others to risk themselves to help you, when you just couldn't stay home. My spouse works front line healthcare at the local hospital she would love to meet you after this health issue passes, but if you don't care, she will meet you sooner because she does care even if you choose to make a bad decision.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of changes There's already a total fire ban on here. I suspect most don't realize impact of their decisions to go out, take the family and dog to the favorite camp spot to have good time, just a little break from being shut down. What happens is, dog runs off chasing after ??? kids in tow, ma notices kids didn't come back, assumes worst, husband goes looking for kids and dog has heart attack, wife totally loses it, races to nearest help, totaling SUV against front of fire truck responding to non compliant fire call. Seems extreme but when stuff can go wrong it will at the worst possible time. Why risk the exposure of yourself or forcing others to risk themselves to help you, when you just couldn't stay home. My spouse works front line healthcare at the local hospital she would love to meet you after this health issue passes, but if you don't care, she will meet you sooner because she does care even if you choose to make a bad decision.
^^^this^^^
That's what people don't get. I know it's enticing to get out of the house a bit, do the social distancing thing but if something goes wrong it's putting people at risk causing resources that are stretched thin to help you out because you got your truck stuck to the axles and can't get out without help.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:28 PM

Funny you mention that. Went for a drive Saturday and found a young guy hung up in the snow with his car on the access road to a small stocked lake. Not the most experienced driver I guess. Anyways I cut him a couple of spruce branches and went to the top of the road and waited for someone to drive by that had a tow strap or chains. He got lucky as someone with a power wagon came by and was able to help him out. I never got close to him . But I wasn’t going to leave him there . Even if I had to get him a tow truck. But ya , I was like ****, now this is awkward. He asked if I could push with my truck. I said not interested in damaging my truck.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:37 PM

Shouldn't be jumping to assumptions on how people conduct themselves outside. Plenty of guys and gals here that can head out right now, not in contact with others, not burn the woods down and bring themselves back safely.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 PM

I think the 999 button is gonna need to be greased hourly come draw time. It’s gonna be on fire!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Really? Come on. Maybe asteroid will strike a CoVid positive person and spread their lung contents over a large area and infect everyone. You are being alarmist. People can still leave their house and not interact with anyone outside their family group without much consequence to the spread of the disease.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I hope that isn't what you go through every time you go camping....yikes!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
We still have 2 feet of snow in the front yard, and they throw out a blanket fire ban. It's stupidity like that makes people wonder how many other stupid calls are they making?
Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
We still have 2 feet of snow in the front yard, and they throw out a blanket fire ban. It's stupidity like that makes people wonder how many other stupid calls are they making?
Same here and it's supposed to snow again.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Really? Come on. Maybe asteroid will strike a CoVid positive person and spread their lung contents over a large area and infect everyone. You are being alarmist. People can still leave their house and not interact with anyone outside their family group without much consequence to the spread of the disease.
It’s kind like what the government thinks about firearms owners. Not everyone is going to be irresponsible but unfortunately everyone gets painted with the same brush.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

This a pic from today where I go camping. It would be tough to convince people that the ban has anything to do with fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Shouldn't be jumping to assumptions on how people conduct themselves outside. Plenty of guys and gals here that can head out right now, not in contact with others, not burn the woods down and bring themselves back safely.
And plenty that can't but will anyway. Unfortunately rules for all are always created because of the lowest common denominator.

I see blanket bans on camping, OHV, boating and fishing all before May long weekend. If you aren't sitting at home staring at the walls, then you are doing something you're not supposed to be doing. It's coming.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
You are right on the money Tactical. Many, if not most can do what you say. Unfortunately, there are some, more than I would like to think that can't. More than once after a long weekend, I have come across fire fighters leap frogging down streams by heli. They had canvas buckets and were putting out fires left by so called responsible campers. One time that really comes to mind the fire was still blazing. Almost like they threw all the wood they had collected on the fire and then left. When I asked if this was usual they said sure, lots of smoldering fires. Worst part is, most times the stream was no more than 20 feet from the fire! Pretty much impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff, so all of us get to pay the price!
Old 04-09-2020, 06:34 AM

I am hoping we will be able to at least take the boat out fishing for day trips when the lakes open up.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
You are right on the money Tactical. Many, if not most can do what you say. Unfortunately, there are some, more than I would like to think that can't. More than once after a long weekend, I have come across fire fighters leap frogging down streams by heli. They had canvas buckets and were putting out fires left by so called responsible campers. One time that really comes to mind the fire was still blazing. Almost like they threw all the wood they had collected on the fire and then left. When I asked if this was usual they said sure, lots of smoldering fires. Worst part is, most times the stream was no more than 20 feet from the fire! Pretty much impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff, so all of us get to pay the price!
I get the impression that you are advocating for a shut down regardless of the current situation.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
And plenty that can't but will anyway. Unfortunately rules for all are always created because of the lowest common denominator.

I see blanket bans on camping, OHV, boating and fishing all before May long weekend. If you aren't sitting at home staring at the walls, then you are doing something you're not supposed to be doing. It's coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Just a hunch; but I don't believe that the worst ones pay any attention to the rules. They don't follow common sense, and the fire safety rules that have been drilled into them since elementary school to start with, this will be one more rule to break. These are some of the same people that sometimes have a meth lab explode on them.

The vast majority of rule followers aren't the problem children anyway. They'll be quietly sitting at home for the most part, not starting out of control fires there.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 AM

Water bodies are provincially regulated (fishing etc) but federally legislated. Only the feds can prohibit movement on water. The province can shut down all public boat ramps though.

Im pretty sure this is how this works. Any experts on the navigable waters act and how the emergencies act would impact it?
Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I get the impression that you are advocating for a shut down regardless of the current situation.
No, not at all Mike. Just saying the situation will have to be monitored constantly and adjusted as required. We have pretty much accepted that we will not be allowed into our regular seasonal campsite. It has already been paid for ( refundable under these conditions ) and designated to us. Prepping for the worst, hoping real hard for the best!

As previously mentioned, there are lots of whaco week end warriors out there! With that in mind, the rest of us will probably have to make concessions to protect them.