Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Black nugget

Looking for any information.

Thanks.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2018, 09:39 PM

It's a disgusting slough. Went there this summer, and it made me depressed...
Old 12-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Default black nugget

we camped there for 2 days in fall. fished on bottom and trolling in kayak. Bait,spinners etc. Not a bite and everyone else i talked to there had no luck as well. Not one bite from maybe 20 people
Too bad as nice little place
Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Took my daughter to BN on Wednesday and all we saw was dead fish all over the bottom. Very sad.......

BH

Old 03-27-2020, 02:38 PM

Don't waste your time there.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM

Ya I figured that out after seeing all the dead fish......LOL

BH

Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Took my daughter to BN on Wednesday and all we saw was dead fish all over the bottom. Very sad.......

BH
Oh thats not good news at all. Black nugget is my first ice spot and I usually catch good numbers of fish. Not big, but plenty.

Lots of dead trout on the bottom? Take any pictures?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Oh thats not good news at all. Black nugget is my first ice spot and I usually catch good numbers of fish. Not big, but plenty.

Lots of dead trout on the bottom? Take any pictures?
No, I didn't take any pictures. Had my Aquaview down and from just spinning the camera 360 we counted over a dozen fish laying on the bottom. We packed up and left.

BH

Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 PM

Gross water. Never knew how fish (or anything) survived in that. Not surprised fish have died. Would be a nice area if they figured a way make the water life-sustaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 08:52 AM

This is why an aerator is needed ! ACA are you listening ?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
This is why an aerator is needed ! ACA are you listening ?
Problem is they cost $ to buy and cost to maintain. Fully agree it would be good for trout but things are probably going to get tight in the up coming years

The other thing is to pick species that are more tolerant of poor water conditions and lower oxygen levels. But this may just slightly limit winter kill if oxygen levels are getting really low. Trout are not really a “tough” fish though and not the best option for poor conditions

Would be nice to see if trying to enhance habitat/water quality of lakes like this and stocking more tolerant species would be worthwhile long term. Likely just my overthinking and curiosity just running wild. Plus it is not going to be worth while in some cases
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Problem is they cost $ to buy and cost to maintain. Fully agree it would be good for trout but things are probably going to get tight in the up coming years

The other thing is to pick species that are more tolerant of poor water conditions and lower oxygen levels. But this may just slightly limit winter kill if oxygen levels are getting really low. Trout are not really a “tough” fish though and not the best option for poor conditions

Would be nice to see if trying to enhance habitat/water quality of lakes like this and stocking more tolerant species would be worthwhile long term. Likely just my overthinking and curiosity just running wild. Plus it is not going to be worth while in some cases
What in your opinion would be a good option?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
What in your opinion would be a good option?
It is something I would not throw out a random solution because testing the water quality and oxygen levels throughout the year would be just one step needed to make a realistic plan for starters. This is a first step in trying to judge what species would be best and the numbers the body of water can handle during low oxygen periods

Enhancing the body of water could vary from dredging combined with adding a different substrate to a portion of the lake to decrease weed growth in some bodies of water. To looking at improving flow rate if possible in some bodies of water

For the most part a lake would need to be studied and assessed to see what possible options would be worthwhile or it its best just to let it ride and go with aeration

Like I said mostly overthinking but would be interesting to see if some of the winter kill lakes could be improved. I definitely don’t think it’s possible with all or even easy but think it would be nice to see if a long term solution is possible in some cases.

Having a background in aquaculture where I was able to develop a ponds and small private closed system lakes makes me think of how to improve a body of water when I hear these problems. The difference is I was dealing with man made systems that were not under the same environmental laws. So my thoughts maybe a no go do to environmental legislation
Old 04-08-2020, 02:00 PM

In that regard Brooks would be about the last resort for trout
Old 04-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
In that regard Brooks would be about the last resort for trout
Browns are more tolerant then both rainbows and brooks. I am less familiar with the hybrids like tigers so not much of a response there. But if the water is too bad your better off creating a pike fishery
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM

It wasn't just Black Nugget either. I went to Cardiff the next day and same thing. Dropped the camera right behind and dead fish. We pulled up right away and left. Very discouraging because these are 2 fun spots that I loved to take my daughter too. We ended up going to La Nonne and caught a bunch of little perch. My daughter is 8 and doesn't care in the least that the perch she is catching are quite small, as long as their biting. We had a great time together self-isolating...LOL

BH