Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 01:01 PM

Default Food for thought

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...appealing.html

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 01:16 PM
Banned

The Star, a far left rag news.

I grew up in the East, we never held any ill will toward Alberta. At some point, Albertans need to give their head a shake and realize it's not the 'east' that is a problem. It's the politicians that rule this country that are the problem. One is as bad as the other, Liberal, Conservative, NDP, like it or not, they don't care about people. We're the idiots that vote them in. We're 35 million strong controlled and ruled by a couple of thousand politicians that bow to the queen?

I notice at the end of the article. thanks to the Russians and the Saudis flooding the market. How much oil is the world using right now? Oil drives the world, and is an ingredient in pretty much everything made today. Entire countries are locked down, industries are closed. Look at flight radar, how many planes are in the air? How many cars are on the road?

Who is to blame? The East?
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

There are great Canadian citizens all across the country just idiots for the most part at the helm....never looked at it as us against then but I am about country first....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro View Post

I grew up in the East, we never held any ill will toward Alberta. At some point, Albertans need to give their head a shake and realize it's not the 'east' that is a problem. It's the politicians that rule this country that are the problem. One is as bad as the other, Liberal, Conservative, NDP, like it or not, they don't care about people. We're the idiots that vote them in. We're 35 million strong controlled and ruled by a couple of thousand politicians that bow to the queen?

I notice at the end of the article. thanks to the Russians and the Saudis flooding the market. How much oil is the world using right now? Oil drives the world, and is an ingredient in pretty much everything made today. Entire countries are locked down, industries are closed. Look at flight radar, how many planes are in the air? How many cars are on the road?

In reality, the people from the east are the ones that vote in the politicians. The ones that are the problem. Take a look at the results from the last two federal elections. Southern Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and eastern B.C. didn't have much of a say in who formed the government. For myself and many other disgruntled Albertans, one of the biggest issues is the amount of money Alberta puts into confederation and how much qeeeebec takes out. After all that, they flat out put a stomp on a pipeline in their neighborhood. What was it Rodney Dangerfield said? "Can't get no respect!"They're willing to kill the goose, but still expect to receive golden eggs. Then we have lower mainland B.C. Pretty much the same story. Pretty much all of Vancouver and most of the Island are red. Lieberal. In the current situation we are all in the financial crapper! Alberta, Canada, the U.S. and likely a good part of entire planet. For sometime to come it won't make any difference if Alberta is in Canada or not.

Let the flaming begin!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...appealing.html

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
What a piece of garbage article.

How about if we had not been drained through equalization, Alberta would have a TRILLION dollar slush fund.

So now that we have been screwed and hamstrung for years by the Feds, our incomes drained away, that we have to rely on these federal programs rather than our own.....this is an argument against western separation????!!!!!

Or the programs like EI that we have PAID INTO for years at a greater level than we have taken from.....the fund that is used for garnering political votes......and distorted by the employment % adjustment that is done by some douche in Ottawa to again benefit the right ridings and punish the conservative ones????? That crap program that if we had kept the funds and set our own would be ACCESSABLE and probably pay twice as much as a max???

I have a $1000 bet that Quebec will see a much higher per/capita benefit from any of these COVID funds, than Alberta will.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
In reality, the people from the east are the ones that vote in the politicians. The ones that are the problem. Take a look at the results from the last two federal elections. Southern Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and eastern B.C. didn't have much of a say in who formed the government. For myself and many other disgruntled Albertans, one of the biggest issues is the amount of money Alberta puts into confederation and how much qeeeebec takes out. After all that, they flat out put a stomp on a pipeline in their neighborhood. What was it Rodney Dangerfield said? "Can't get no respect!"They're willing to kill the goose, but still expect to receive golden eggs. Then we have lower mainland B.C. Pretty much the same story. Pretty much all of Vancouver and most of the Island are red. Lieberal. In the current situation we are all in the financial crapper! Alberta, Canada, the U.S. and likely a good part of entire planet. For sometime to come it won't make any difference if Alberta is in Canada or not.

Let the flaming begin!
Alberta isn't that old as a province, but the history is rich and amazing. I'm not even from Alberta, but I love digging into its' history.

Quebec population 8.5 million. Alberta population is almost half that at 4.3 million. Equalization is financed entirely from government of Canada general revenues raised through federal taxes on all Canadians. Fair? Maybe not.

Like it or not, Quebec puts Quebec first and that is an enviable position. They aren't willing to give in to the federal government and this I agree with. They didn't even sign the constitution act of 1982, they have their own constitution. Alberta signed the joke of a constitution, did Lougheed do the right thing? He fought hard for the right things, trying to secure Alberta's economic future. But hindsight is always 20/20. He was dealing with Pierre Idiot Trudeau at the time - remember the NEP and what it did to Alberta? What do you think the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords were all about? Greasing the wheels, and still didn't pass. By the way, both brought forth by the Conservative Brian Mulroney.

Quebec has their own Charter of Rights and Freedoms, maybe people should give it a read and compare it to what Canada's says.
http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/c-12

Alot of people in Newfoundland hold Joey Smallwood in high regard. Brought Newfoundland into confederation but screwed up in so many ways. Lined his pockets pretty good when he left. One of the big things he did was screw Newfoundland over the Churchill Falls hydro deal, and it still exists today. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Canada hasn't even heard about it. Newfoundlanders have reasons to be upset with Quebec, why is Alberta? Quebec pays federal taxes, double the population of Alberta means they pay more into the fed coffers. They get more back, but yet, Albertans seem to believe that they write a check to Quebec every year, sadly misinformed. It's anger based on misinformation and that's dangerous. Alberta gets nothing? Another fallacy. You're angry at the wrong people, but don't know why.

It may not be what you want, but instead of complaining about it like the good little Canadian, do something about it.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Alberta isn't that old as a province, but the history is rich and amazing. I'm not even from Alberta, but I love digging into its' history.

Quebec population 8.5 million. Alberta population is almost half that at 4.3 million. Equalization is financed entirely from government of Canada general revenues raised through federal taxes on all Canadians. Fair? Maybe not.

Like it or not, Quebec puts Quebec first and that is an enviable position. They aren't willing to give in to the federal government and this I agree with. They didn't even sign the constitution act of 1982, they have their own constitution. Alberta signed the joke of a constitution, did Lougheed do the right thing? He fought hard for the right things, trying to secure Alberta's economic future. But hindsight is always 20/20. He was dealing with Pierre Idiot Trudeau at the time - remember the NEP and what it did to Alberta? What do you think the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords were all about? Greasing the wheels, and still didn't pass. By the way, both brought forth by the Conservative Brian Mulroney.

Quebec has their own Charter of Rights and Freedoms, maybe people should give it a read and compare it to what Canada's says.

Alot of people in Newfoundland hold Joey Smallwood in high regard. Brought Newfoundland into confederation but screwed up in so many ways. Lined his pockets pretty good when he left. One of the big things he did was screw Newfoundland over the Churchill Falls hydro deal, and it still exists today. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Canada hasn't even heard about it. Newfoundlanders have reasons to be upset with Quebec, why is Alberta? Quebec pays federal taxes, double the population of Alberta means they pay more into the fed coffers. They get more back, but yet, Albertans seem to believe that they write a check to Quebec every year, sadly misinformed. It's anger based on misinformation and that's dangerous. Alberta gets nothing? Another fallacy. You're angry at the wrong people, but don't know why.

It may not be what you want, but instead of complaining about it like the good little Canadian, do something about it.
Alberta has been in confederation since 1905. That is only 38 years younger than Canada. Or conversely it is 115 years a member of confederation. Don't see hat makes much difference one way or the other. qeeeebec has it's own charter. Well blow me down I thought they were part of Canada. They sure are when it comes time to collect! It seems not so much any other time though. Take a gander at the charts below and tell me again Alberta isn't getting royally ripped. Yves Blanchet makes it very clear, the block will vote for anything that is good for qeeebec and after that he D.G.A.S. Why would it be so wrong for Alberta to do the same thing? If you think it's fine that qeeeebec doesn't give in to the federal government then you must also think it's fine Alberta doesn't ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg equal.jpg (17.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg nonequal.jpg (26.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Covid19 does not make the issues with confederation go away neither does low oil prices
Old 04-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Too funny. After posting in defence of easterners a couple of posts back you write 5-6 paragraphs outlining some major issues and the people that caused them. All eastern.

Welcome to Alberta.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Four more charts describing NOT so equal payments in today's canada! These came from the National Post and were sourced from stats canada. This is how qeeeebc has the cheapest post secondary tuition in canada.....by far! They also have $7 per day daycare. Lots of other programs also financed through equalization????

Wexit is trying to do something about it. Some of their talk is pretty radical I must admit, but they are following your advice. Many, many Albertan's may not agree with everything Wexit stands for, but they have had enough of the current system!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contrib1.jpg (27.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg contrib2.jpg (24.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg contrib3.jpg (32.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg contrib4.jpg (21.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by zabbo; 04-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Exactly

There is this east vs west idiotic thought that has to end.

We are to blame for the stupid politicians we vote in.

Once ALL Canadians are equal, we will see progress. But some still believe they are special. And our idiot politicians cater to it

Every political party is guilty of pandering to special interests. And really, how is it that an election is basically over before the polls are reported from Manitoba west? That has to be fixed.

Selfishness. That alone is a big issue.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 04-09-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Exactly

There is this east vs west idiotic thought that has to end.

We are to blame for the stupid politicians we vote in.

Once ALL Canadians are equal, we will see progress. But some still believe they are special. And our idiot politicians cater to it

Selfishness. That alone is a big issue.
I am genuinely interested in hearing what you suggest voters or candidates can do to end the selfishness. I think people are more likely than ever to vote for their own personal benefit than ever. So many people are single issue voters and ignore the big picture. And most will never agree what the big picture actually is.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hey on a positive note gas prices are low.....too much complaining on this forum that people just can't find anything good out there....man what a crappy life some people live.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I am genuinely interested in hearing what you suggest voters or candidates can do to end the selfishness. I think people are more likely than ever to vote for their own personal benefit than ever. So many people are single issue voters and ignore the big picture. And most will never agree what the big picture actually is.
Selfishness goes beyond politics. I believe it comes from a belief that "you can be anything, you can do anything" That starts with parenting and is supported by education systems religions, and media.

Are there examples of people that have overcome incredible odds to succeed in something? Absolutely. Is it the norm? Absolutely not. Are we giving people realistic or false hopes? Yes.

Social media and exposure has set people up for failure. People are encouraged to put themselves out there and this opens them up to critique. Few are able to handle that. Consider the number of stories you hear about "bullying" It usually stems from social media. Instead of one bully waiting for you at the bus stop, people have invited 10,000 bullies into their lives via social media. Not smart

This isnt new. 40 years ago, in every hockey arena, there were parents who literally destroyed the enjoyment of the game due to their belief that their kid was "the best".

Selfishness. It is pandemic.

I used to say the world would be better once the older generation was gone. Gone would be the days of men treating their wives as servants, racism, sexual harassment, and the constant talk of "the war".....

Now I see my generation has created a much worse environment by over compensating. We focused so much on swinging the pendulum away from those negative things that we created an "im special" society. One that takes offense to everything. We sue everyone for anything, we insist on giving everyone a participation ribbon for just breathing......

Selfishness breeds entitlement. We are at the entitlement stage. Im not sure what comes after, but it probably isnt good.

Covid will be a catalyst for change. Covid 2.0 will do more.

People will either be more aware of the needs of others, or it will turn into a gong show and a real hard crackdown

I just hope my errors havent affected too many people. I do not make them any longer but im as guilty as the next.