Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Default Vw :)

Why you gotta slag the hot rodded V-Dub? My '02 TDI has oversized injector nozzles, Stage 1 ecu remap, hi perf suspension, oversize 235/45/17 tires, custom LED tail lights, .681 5th gear set etc etc.

My little pocket rocket that just happens to get me over 1100 kms per 55L tank and looks good while doing it.

Oh, and I also have a handful of customized 10-22's that are all tackdrivers using 555 Winchester or Remington Yellow Jackets. One I have converted to .17m2 and it shoots like a dream.

While I agree that the basic stock 10-22 is not the best .22 option, I happen to love them with a little customizing.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Chevy View Post
I have about 20 hours into customizing my 10/22.

The only money into it has been the cost for sandpaper, and some job weld. I have floated the barrel, removed the barrel band, glass bedded the action and barrel, lightened and polished the trigger. I also took a dremel to the bolt release latch plate to allow snapping a round into the chamber from the lock open position. The gun is nothing fancy and has seen 10's of thousands of rounds.

It will put 10 rounds into an inch all day at 50 yards which is all I really need it to do anyways. If I bought some match ammo or something better than bulk I'm sure it could do better but I can't be bothered.

Its also a huge advantage to have thousands of mods available and literature/YouTube videos for everything you could ever think to do to it.

removing the barrel band improves accuracy ? Just curious . Mine's not bad with yellow jacket ammo but I couldn't put 10 rounds into an inch with it
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
10/22 is a fun rifle and with customizing they can be accurate. I agree you should not have to modify a factory rifle to make it shoot but if you enjoy doing it why not.

I shoot gophers with a friend who has a 597 and we have some good debates about bolt hold open ability versus mag capacity.
That's funny because the 597 offers both bolt hold open and a 30 round factory mag. Yes, they can be troublesome. They work 100% with a tiny bit of tuning.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM

The big thing about Ruger is thay have always made attractive, reliable guns for a fraction (often 1/2 ) of the cost of the competitors. They have managed this by innovation in the manufacturing process that made them the leading force in inexpensive guns. Nobody ever said that they have anything more than acceptable accuracy.
I have a couple of 10-22s that I love. Both have been "accurized" and have after-market barrels and stocks on both. For the money I spent on them, I might have been able to pick up something a little more accurate, but I have always been scared off by the initial purchase price. Everyone knows what a 10-22 will do and everyone knows how to get it to do better. It is rare that you hear that kind of praise for Remington these days, or any other manufacturer for that matter.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Buy A CZ,if you want a good rimfire.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Ah yes, but good for what?

BTW not meant as a slam to CZ, but actual usage.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
removing the barrel band improves accuracy ? Just curious . Mine's not bad with yellow jacket ammo but I couldn't put 10 rounds into an inch with it
I'm not sure there is any concrete evidence of making it more accurate but for you it would be easy to determine. Shoot a few groups with and without it and make your decision from there.

I had to remove the barrel band to float the barrel though.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Buy A CZ,if you want a good rimfire.
Elaborate on your point, if you want to make a good one.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Threw a Hogue overmoulded stock on it, Green mountain target barrel and volquartsen trigger on it and it knocks the primers out of a spent 12 gauge shell at 50 yards.

Use rounded tip ammo to avoid jams. Fun reliable gun that can be easily modded if you are into that kind of thing. Customization is the hook for a lot of the owners I'm guessing. Had one 20 years ago before I bought this one. Used to do strafing runs on gophers with a 50 shot drum and bmf activator in the day.

I know the guy barely has teeth but check out the video none the less. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVcmoosAviM

PS. My friends CZ bolt action kept up to close to my 10/22 with target barrel out of the box for accuracy. Didn't mind it at all. CZ makes some nice stuff from what I've seen from his .22 and my Cz-858.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1015 (Medium).jpg (100.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Rdamours; 06-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.