Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 PM

Default !!!Experienced shooters advice!!!

I've recently gotten into shooting at longer distances, I am now curious to know if there is a tool out there that can tell you, on the spot barometric pressure, temperature, windage, and elevation, or maybe any other tools for calculating your long distance shot! Any advise would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I've recently gotten into shooting at longer distances, I am now curious to know if there is a tool out there that can tell you, on the spot barometric pressure, temperature, windage, and elevation, or maybe any other tools for calculating your long distance shot! Any advise would be appreciated! Thank you!
newest
http://kestrelmeters.com/products/ke...ied-ballistics

previous
http://kestrelmeters.com/products/ke...llistics-meter

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/

original
http://kestrelmeters.com/products/ke...g-ballistics-1

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:06 PM

Yes, go with Kestrel.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Thanks guys that looks like exactly what I want. Thank you!!!, that 5700 elite looks like quite the unit, if you guys have any other advice I would also appreciate it!!!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:04 PM

The most difficult thing about shooting long range is reading the wind. Practice lots and keep good records.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys that looks like exactly what I want. Thank you!!!, that 5700 elite looks like quite the unit, if you guys have any other advice I would also appreciate it!!!
I have never used (or seen) the new 5700, but have a 4500NV with AB and a docking station to allow me to connect to my computer via USB and maintain a larger library of bullets & guns than can be stored on the 4500 itself. I am not sure if the new 5700 uses a docking station or if it can connect directly.

The Brian Litz book
http://store.appliedballisticsllc.co...oductCode=0006
and other work is widely respected and recommended.

Unless you will only be shooting on ranges with known distances, you will need a GOOD range finder.

A system to record individual shot impacts such as a video or interval camera is helpful when doing ladder tests and load development.

Top quality hand-loading tooling and proper procedures are very helpful for consistency, as are quality bullets and fully prepared brass.

Keep good records of all rounds loaded and fired and conditions and results.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Banned

Training yourself to read the mirage will help you with long range accuracy. You can determine what's going on around you well enough with today's technology but things maybe very different 1000 yards away. The heat mirage may not always present in which case I watch what's going on around my target such as leafs blowing etc. And right up to the type of clouds above or beyond me. I also scope the entire path of my bullet, weather is real tricky sometimes especially in the mountains vs the home 40

Here's a good read

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Mirage.htm
Old 02-15-2016, 05:34 AM

Smile My $.02

You need to be 100% sure the rifle and load is hitting exactly where you think it is for moving out. I've found that isn't as easy as I'd thought.

Next are those remarkable on line ballistic tables, I'm still amazed.

I didn't read any one else say it but they will, you need a lot of practice.

Doping the wind, practice again.

One tip we have found useful, re-zeroing at 300 M it makes it easier to shoot at 500 M. It allows for small corrections we didn't see at 200 M

Last tip, a square not a circle for a poa, with a high power scope I have found that with a 2" large dot it is hard to always have the same poa and at 500 M it makes a difference.

Have fun and let us know how you do, I'm open for more tips!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 AM

There are several electronic tools out there to help a person , but as was already said, an excellent spotting scope , and a log book with everything written down are the most important pieces of equipment to own, no matter what discipline or type of rifle one is using and pursuing THE MOST imporant!

They are more important than s good scope , the type of rifle , it cartridge being used .
These two things are the basis of precision shooting equipment and will help upu more with learning how to dope the shooting condition better than any electronic measuring device ever will, because electronics can only give you the conditions from your firing position - a scope and log book for reference can help you Ruth what I'd happening all the way out to the target as long ax you learn how to use them properly .

As far as electronic measuring devices go, there are several
On the market , I have been told that the Kestral is a very good one , but I have never used them , and do not consider them an important part of an equipment list - especially for someone who is not a master class shooter .
Cat
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 AM

Take an advanced Reloading clinic before you buy all the gadgets and trinkets.
Then put a pile of trigger time in.

All the gadgets and trinkets do, is give you a certain value of measure at your current position, 400, 600 or 1000 yds away, the conditions could be totally different than where you are.

By learning how to read mirage, and wind, as well as changing lighting, and documenting these observations, you'll figure out the equation to better shooting far better, than some device that may or may not give you a value you can use. There's no way to buy experience!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Banned

The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters by Canadian authors Linda K. Miller and Keith Cunningham in my opinion is as good as it gets. I got mine from Amazon.ca. I'd recommend this before purchasing electronic gadgetry which can come later.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Hey if you have an iphone try downloading the isnipe app ,its worth every penny!

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Some great advice guys, i looked into most of it, and my conclusion is that I will need to start reloading, grip one of these kestrels, some literature, and that i snipe app looks fantastic. This is gonna be a long journey and a expensive hobby. Lucky I don't smoke or drink. Guess A guy has to have his poison, mine will be shooting. If anyone can recommend a reloading kit that would be great! Any other advice on gadgets and literature is also welcome!!! Thanks a lot!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Some great advice guys, i looked into most of it, and my conclusion is that I will need to start reloading, grip one of these kestrels, some literature, and that i snipe app looks fantastic. This is gonna be a long journey and a expensive hobby. Lucky I don't smoke or drink. Guess A guy has to have his poison, mine will be shooting. If anyone can recommend a reloading kit that would be great! Any other advice on gadgets and literature is also welcome!!! Thanks a lot!!!
You'd be better off smoking and drinking. The smoking drunks are lucky they don't reload for long range accuracy.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:06 PM

Smile These guys are terrible!

You can meet most of us begging on street corners lol.

I'd add that you can shoot a cheap rifle and ammo, like a .223 at 500 M I know because I do it. I think what you will learn can be transferred to a full bore rifle if that is your long range plan. I do reload the .223 although most don't. My reason is that I want to make sure the ammo is all the same and the factory stuff is quite variable IME.