Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Flat primer?

I'm just assembling gear for reloading and am pretty close to getting started. I've started paying attention to primers and things on my factory round in preparation. Are these flattened primers? Looking straight on they look to be, but from the side you can still see the rounded ended. I've looked at hundreds of web photos but wanted to see what everyone thought. They are Winchester Supreme 270 140gr accubonds. Hopefully the pics worked out!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Seeing as these are factory loads, and started out at minimum dimension, and your chamber headspace could very well be a bit on the excessive side.
So when you touch off minimum dimension ammo in a slightly excessive chamber the brass will grow at high speed slamming the case head into the bolt face, resulting in what looks like a severely flattened primer.
Try micrometer measuring your cases just ahead of the web. Record that number and compare some properly sized( to your chamber, by partial full length resizing) reloads, and stay at or below that measurement. You'll be fine!

There are no absolutes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM

They look fine to me..going off the pictures only...taking measurements like Dick suggested is the best way to know..Winchester primers are known to be a bit softer than other brands, they lack an extra layer of coating on them that "hardens" them somewhat.

LV
Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Thanks guys. Being factory ammo I'm not overly concerned about them and I haven't had any issues with them. Just trying to get used to paying more attention to these kinds of things and noticed that they looked a little flatter on the edges.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM

FWIW: primers are pretty last ditch for indicating high pressure.
I remember having brutal bolt lift and extractor marks, with well rounded primers, one more than one occasion.
That's in my earlier days, when speed mattered, and well, accuracy could have been better.

There are no absolutes