Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Remington 783?

Hi there all,
I've searched the forum but come up empty, does anyone have any time in yet or heard anything about the new Remington 783?
I've been wanting to get my first 308, and the wrote ups I've read make it sound better than the dreaded 770, and a better first centerfire then a mossy atr or savage axis, but I am wondering if I should just save my pennies ( or nickels now I guess) and wait til I can afford the regular 700? I have been searching for used but only seem to find axis package guns priced for more then cabelas even sells them for so far...

Any imput would be great, it's a newer gun and I am having a hard time finding anyone local that stocks it yet but grouse river.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM

I'd prefer a used quality piece to a new entry level unit, be it a vehicle, tool or firearm. I have no knowledge of the 783, but if its replacing the 770 its got an image to shake for certain.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned

Remington will have to go a long way to shake off bad publicity. Let's see... the 710, the 770, the triggers, what they've done to Marlin, their garbage ammo, the 870 express that won't fire, and now this 783 venture into obscuredumb. Way to spoil a once highly respected name. Gimme a barrel nut any day
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM

your in luck git, the 783 uses a barrel nut. as well as a form of the accutrigger, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
your in luck git, the 783 uses a barrel nut. as well as a form of the accutrigger, lee
Gonna have to fondle her before I announce my intentions though.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one hesitant about it.. If anyone sees a review from anywhere they generally trust, I would appreciate a link!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 AM

The February issue of Outdor Life has a write up about the Rem. 783 by
Bryce M.Towsley.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks Jag!

His review makes it sound pretty decent for an entry level.
Free floating barrel, Uses a barrel nut, adjustable trigger, detachable magazine, all features I have been looking for.
The issue with the saftey makes me think for a minute, but this might just be my kind of rifle.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Thanks Jag!

His review makes it sound pretty decent for an entry level.
Free floating barrel, Uses a barrel nut, adjustable trigger, detachable magazine, all features I have been looking for.
The issue with the saftey makes me think for a minute, but this might just be my kind of rifle.
One thing for sure, the 783 will never be the likes of a 788. I say go with a proven performer such as the Stevens 200 or a Savage 11. As far as that person writing for Outdoor Life who gave the 783 a rave review...do you think for a minute that he would even DARE to call it a POS even if he thought it was. Heck, if he told it as it is, he'd be joining the ranks of Jim Zumbo.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Default 783

Maybe we should actually range-test at a least one of them before we throw the 783 under the bus!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
Maybe we should actually range-test at a least one of them before we throw the 783 under the bus!
I agree. But, I'm not holding my breath. Dont' get me wrong, Remington was once one of the most desirable firearm, be it a rimfire, centerfire or shotgun. As I've stated earlier, based upon some of the junk that's been put out lately, thanks to the Cerberus Group, I'm a bit leary. But hey, Cerberus Group dumped them after the Sandy Cook incident, at least that's what I've read. Perhaps, Remington will get back to making good products, even for the entry level shooter.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Gonna have to fondle her before I announce my intentions though.
Lol. Comments like these make me wish we had a like button on here.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 PM

shot my 783 for the first time today im quite impressed. its a little heavier in the receiver and barrel than my sps 30 06. both are 30 06 but my sps has open sights and my 783 i put a scope. this makes a further weight differance but still the 783 seems more comfortable to shoot. it has a soft recoil pad supercell. the detachable mag on the 783 is much better it holds the rounds under control till they are going into the chamber unlike my 2 700 mags which pop the last round out maybe it chambers maybe not. both guns have a horrible finish that looks like it grew on the metal. the stocks are similar but the 783 is uglier and it is free floated with a liberal amount of room and has moulded swivel attachments. it operates nicely i wouldnt say smooth if you think thats important but similar to the 700 both guns with rough finished black bolts. i can hear the trigger insert creak till it takes up it feels weird but once you have it ready to fire it is good i didnt adjust mine yet 3 and a quarter pounds. the gun has a winchester style bolt stop better than the 700.the bolt head is floating. if they went upscale with this gun i think it would be nice
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
Thats a good idea. I'll warm up the bus.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
i can hear the trigger insert creak till it takes up it feels weird
That pretty much describes the Savage Accutrigger, which I despise so much.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM

Default 783

took some pictures the magazine in comparison has feed lips that curl more than the 700 also they hold onto the last cartridge with the shape of the follower to keep it to the side till it clears the feed lip. the bolt has a smaller firing pin hole and a smaller ejector with a spring with less pressure. the bolt stop works like a model 70 but is mounted on the trigger. on looking at this photo it looks like the trigger housing takes the thrust of the bolt stop but i think where the stop swings against the receiver takes it but i didnt really look. both bolts handles are brazed on for about120 degrees around the bolt vs 180 for my cooper. the cocking piece i think it is is 90 degrees to the bolt so it doesnt move forward till the sear clears it like my tikka wby and cooper the 700 is on an angle win and abolt style dont know the significance of this. it was easy to adjust the trigger to three pounds. if you must hold your nose to operate this trigger it wont work well but it worked fine for me although i wish it were a conventional trigger. the scope base holes are kind of far apart i have a weaver front extension base i think the scope would have fit but i wanted it farther back.the stock is very stiff and pillar bedded and free floated. the barrel is 22 inches vs 24 inches for the 70 in the photo. it has a barrel nut . it has the same supercell recoil pad which is very good but seems like a simple piece of skinned foam. the magazine has a nifty and simple spring steel catch it goes in and out like an xbolt very nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (63.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (101.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (128.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (122.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (40.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (44.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Just what is the current price difference between the 783 and a 700 SPS?

If you can't pony up $500 for an SPS get a Salvage before you get a 783.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 PM

marxman, thanks for the useful review.
Kinda neat that Savage design ideas surface in a Rem.