Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Standard vs Magnum Primers for Std Cartridges

Want to hear some veteran advise on when to use magnum vs standard primers.

My philosophy has always been; because we live in a cold climate and our hunting season is often cold, even for standard offerings (270, 06, 280, etc..), magnum primers are more reliable. However, benchrest shooters often use standard primers due to more uniform ignition. I actually have chronographed some hand loads using both in 270WSM with no noticeable difference in velocity. Some believe that any case with a charge greater than 45 grains should be fired with a magnum primer.

Want to hear what you all have to say.

Yours in good hunting,

Chukar Hunter
Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 PM

I've had magnums work better and standards work better. It totally depends on the gun. Just remember to start from scratch when changing primers. Bullet seating depth should prob be the only similarity when working up a new load with different primers.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM

The reason I use mag primers is when the powder volume gets bigger than 30-06 size cases, ball powder gets mag primers as well beccause they are supposed to be harder to light.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM

In some loads , I see a difference when switching primers, in other loads, there appears to be no difference at all. I personally only use magnum primers in my large capacity magnum cartridges, and I have yet to have any issues with proper ignition in any of my loads.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Tried it both ways in the 30-06 with 4350. No detachable change. And so far( knock on wood) I have yet to have a misfire cause by ammo.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Tried it both ways in the 30-06 with 4350. No detachable change. And so far( knock on wood) I have yet to have a misfire cause by ammo.
This might seem kind of moronic, but I use the primer advised in the loading manual for that specific cartridge and bullet / powder combo. Shooters with all the latest lab equipment and pressure guns with strain gauges calculate these charges. The trail has been blazed for everyone that can read, why not stay on it?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM

I've touched off my handloads in some very cold weather. You might call it ****ING COLD weather. They all work with standard primers, just fine.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
This might seem kind of moronic, but I use the primer advised in the loading manual for that specific cartridge and bullet / powder combo. Shooters with all the latest lab equipment and pressure guns with strain gauges calculate these charges. The trail has been blazed for everyone that can read, why not stay on it?
x2
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That's the way I do it
Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 AM

You can have a 5000 psi pressure difference with magnum primers. Cold is not such a big factor. Where you might want a magnum is in a heavy loaded pistol with a short bbl. or probably a cartridge that has a long powder column.

I mostly stick with what's recommended, especially taking into account pressure difference. As for brands, it's all CCI however (and that also has an effect). I may switch primer brands according to what's recommended for shotshells however.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sometimes we do as we are told and sometime we try something new. Neither one is moronic in my mind. I tried the magnums when i first started handload based on the advice of my mentor. Fwiw if you read enough manuals you will find a lot of contradicting information. I use standard match primers now. If the loads are worked up properly it is safe.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Primers, even magnum ones are not all created equal. CCI 250 mag primers will regularly fail to ignite or give click booms in very large cases like 375, 7 RUM or 460 Weatherby. I have checked a number of different batches to make sure that wasn't the cause. None of these were loaded with ball powder. For the Big boomers I use 215 Federals, which were developed specifically for Roy Weatherby and the 378/460 cartridge, or Winchester magnum to ensure consistent and instant ignition. (The CCIs are generally considered one of the softer primers, both in the mag and the large rifle ones.)

In the 7 Rem mag, 300 Win mag with 4831 and 4350 the CCI 250s have worked great for years. I also work up all my hunting loads in all calibers with CCI 250 primers. I tried switching to match and regular rifle primers of different makes and could see no real noticeable difference either in groups or velocities. Using one primer for all loads, and the 215s/Winchesters for the boomers really simplifies component stocking as well as load development.

I use Federal small pistol in Hornet loads and CCI large Rifle in my varmint loads.