Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Default Sighting a rifle with adjustable magnification

I have got some mixed signals on this one and need some clarity:
I have a bushel elite 4200 3x9 scope- at what magnification should I sight it in at? Or does it matter? Does the magnification adjustment change the sighting of the gun? Thoughts on this please
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imer View Post
I have got some mixed signals on this one and need some clarity:
I have a bushel elite 4200 3x9 scope- at what magnification should I sight it in at? Or does it matter? Does the magnification adjustment change the sighting of the gun? Thoughts on this please
Doesn't matter with that scope, only effects ranging reticles where the reticle is in the second focal plane, and that is just for ranging.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Default 9x

on 9x start from 25 yard and increase the distance keep adjust .
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Smile It doesn't matter

There can't be much parallax or there would be no point in having a variable power scope.

It doesn't seem to make any difference on mine, it sits on a .223
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM

With a quality scope, it doesn't matter what magnification you use. With higher magnification , parallax can be significant, which is why high magnification scopes usually have a way to adjust the parallax.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Default check it out!

Your thread does bring up another interesting topic on scope quality. Just for security sake, after sighting in your gun, try adjusting the power ring and shoot some more. The point of impact should not change. If it does, you probably just saved yourself from chasing a wounded critter!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Highest power. Parralex might be a factor, but also gives you the most accurate aiming point.

Grizz
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Highest power. Parralex might be a factor, but also gives you the most accurate aiming point.

Grizz
Bang on.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Grizz
+2
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

I sight in at the magnification that I expect to usually shoot at.
With a 3-9 thats 6 because that is where I pre-set my scope for hunting.

I also confirm at 3 and 9 but I sight in at 6.

Also... I hate shooting at max magnification and will more often dial a scope down than up to take a shot.
There is nothing more frustrating than the mind... hump... that results from chasing crosshairs because your scope is at max magnification and your cross hairs are bouncing all over.

That probably results in more missed shots than a lack of magnification does.

I hope that makes sense.... might have explained it poorly...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I sight in at the magnification that I expect to usually shoot at.
With a 3-9 thats 6 because that is where I pre-set my scope for hunting.

I also confirm at 3 and 9 but I sight in at 6.

Also... I hate shooting at max magnification and will more often dial a scope down than up to take a shot.
There is nothing more frustrating than the mind... hump... that results from chasing crosshairs because your scope is at max magnification and your cross hairs are bouncing all over.

That probably results in more missed shots than a lack of magnification does.

I hope that makes sense.... might have explained it poorly.
I always hunt with my scopes set at the lowest magnification. If an animal suddenly appears at close range, the lowest magnification makes it easier to get the crosshairs on the target quickly, before the opportunity is lost. If the animal is farther away, and I have time, I will increase the magnification to allow the most precise aiming possible. Lower magnification provides the largest field of view, but it doesn't make you more steady, it just makes it appear that you are more steady.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:

Grizz
This. Some scopes will have a slightly different point of impact (poor way of saying it) at different magnifications. Though if you sight in for longest range with the lowest margin of error (ie: highest power), you will be fine for the close stuff at low power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I always hunt with my scopes set at the lowest magnification. If an animal suddenly appears at close range, the lowest magnification makes it easier to get the crosshairs on the target quickly, before the opportunity is lost. If the animal is farther away, and I have time, I will increase the magnification to allow the most precise aiming possible. Lower magnification provides the largest field of view, but it doesn't make you more steady, it just makes it appear that you are more steady.
And that.^

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 AM

If your point of impact shifts because you've changed the power setting on the scope, it's time to go shopping for new optics.

Perceivable scope wobble is just that, at lower powers you don't notice the wobble, but it's still there.

I'm not sure what manufacturer had the ad in the late 80's(Leupold?) showing 3, 3shot groups all over layed, one group shot at 3x magnification, the next group at 6x, and the third group at 9x. No POI shift!

Time to hit the range boyz, summer is here, and with a Thermacell, and or some bug dope, it makes for some good times.

Tight Groups.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If your point of impact shifts because you've changed the power setting on the scope, it's time to go shopping for new optics.

Perceivable scope wobble is just that, at lower powers you don't notice the wobble, but it's still there.

I'm not sure what manufacturer had the ad in the late 80's(Leupold?) showing 3, 3shot groups all over layed, one group shot at 3x magnification, the next group at 6x, and the third group at 9x. No POI shift!

Time to hit the range boyz, summer is here, and with a Thermacell, and or some bug dope, it makes for some good times.

Tight Groups.
I agree with everything but the 1st part. In a perfect world yes. However, not every rifle deserves or needs a $600 scope. If I did that for every rifle, I would hardly have any.

Besides which, I'm not going to shoot long distance or try for small groups with the scope on the lowest power. That's just nutty.

Optical perfection is nice, but hardly needed.

Pureblood!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Same idea... basically.

Its a lot easier to snap shoot on a lower magnification.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Same idea... basically.
Not really, I hunt with my scope set on the minimum magnification, so I have the widest possible field of view for an unexpected close shot, but I may increase the magnification if desired, and if time allows. On the other hand, you hunt with the scope on a medium magnification, so you have to waste time to adjust the magnification, in order to increase the field of view to the maximum, for a close shot.

Quote:
I agree with everything but the 1st part. In a perfect world yes. However, not every rifle deserves or needs a $600 scope. If I did that for every rifle, I would hardly have any.
It doesn't take $600, to purchase a scope that holds zero, as you change the magnification.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Well I've got a heck of a lot of rifles, and only 3 have optics that retail over $600.00!

But I do not own one single scope that has any appreciable POI shift while changing powers.

Whodathunkit?

There are no absolutes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Turn the power ring while looking through the scope with a collimator(bore sighter) in the bore.
If there is a change in POI between powers you will see the crosshairs move.
I've seen this quite often with Tasco scopes and some Bushnell.
Not as commen today as it once was.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take $600, to purchase a scope that holds zero, as you change the magnification.
I hope not! Or I would be in trouble! There is no other way to describe my scopes other than A: cheap, B: old, or C: cheap and old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Well I've got a heck of a lot of rifles, and only 3 have optics that retail over $600.00!

But I do not own one single scope that has any appreciable POI shift while changing powers.

Whodathunkit?
I kind of had you pegged as an optics snob, but to be honest with you both, I can't say whether any of my scopes change poi as the power is changed.

I just don't sight in at low power, and if it's that close that I stay on low it doesn't matter. Or I should hope not at least, because it would have to be a very significant change.

Pureblood!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Turn the power ring while looking through the scope with a collimator(bore sighter) in the bore.
If there is a change in POI between powers you will see the crosshairs move.
I've seen this quite often with Tasco scopes and some Bushnell.
Not as commen today as it once was.
Not surprising, the tolerances on equipment are tighter today than years ago. This is something I've heard of, but never looked for, as I assumed that all scopes would to a small degree, so I just made it habit to treat them as if they did. More accuracy possible on highest power on my end as well.

I think the mid priced scopes today are easily a match for the highest priced optics of 30 years ago.

Pureblood!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Not surprising, the tolerances on equipment are tighter today than years ago. This is something I've heard of, but never looked for, as I assumed that all scopes would to a small degree, so I just made it habit to treat them as if they did. More accuracy possible on highest power on my end as well.

I think the mid priced scopes today are easily a match for the highest priced optics of 30 years ago.
I recall a few years back reading something about Simons scopes having a different way of holding the adjustment so that there is no movement even under heavy recoil. Should try one on my 338 t3 lite for chits and giggles.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I recall a few years back reading something about Simons scopes having a different way of holding the adjustment so that there is no movement even under heavy recoil. Should try one on my 338 t3 lite for chits and giggles.
Inexpensive scopes, some guys love them and some hate them. From what I gather, Simmons sources them from China and the Philippines. The ones from the Philippines are supposed to be the better scopes, and I think they are all the 44 mm objective ones. I picked up a Predator something or other with the 44 mm objective and in 4.5-14 power to look at. The glass appeared very crisp and bright, even turned up to full power. I was surprised.

Pureblood!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not really, I hunt with my scope set on the minimum magnification, so I have the widest possible field of view for an unexpected close shot, but I may increase the magnification if desired, and if time allows. On the other hand, you hunt with the scope on a medium magnification, so you have to waste time to adjust the magnification, in order to increase the field of view to the maximum, for a close shot.

Misunderstood.

I see what you are driving at.

I'm at 6 and up or down 3 depending most of the time.

Works for me where I hunt usually.

I could see that changing under different circumstances though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine bought a Ruger10/22 with a Simmons scope, after shooting it for a week the crosshairs broke loose and turned a quarter turn. I certainly would not be buying their entry level scopes.

Tags
rifle, scope, sighting