Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I agree piker, what the heck does homeschooling have to do with anything?

Lets look at this from the LEO side of things in the moment.

Nice day, doing a checkstop to get drunk drivers off the road. Got a nice little line up things are going smoothly, have some nice chats with people, some less than nice but all in all a good day. All of a sudden you look up and a tractor has veered off the road in to the ditch and trying to bypass your checkstop. This is not normal behaviour. You and your co-workers get the tractor to stop, but the occupant is ignoring your commands or refusing. All you know at this point is someone tried to bypass the checkstop, is not responding to commands, refuses to blow, and won't come out of the tractor.

Seems like something is off, so you remove said person from the tractor, they fight it, the use of force is escalated based on the restitence. Next the brother comes up and starts arguing the point and gets in the tractor to drive away, he to is uncooperative and needs to be cuffed.

Seems like the only one's at fault are the family with the tractor. Now more information comes out that this family is secular, and possibly along the likes of the Freeman on the Land, and it makes all the sense in the world why things unrolled the way they did.

Sorry but from my seat, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
Agreed. Very well spoken.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Maybe he was smoking dope or drinking and didn't want to be stopped?

Pulling the I don't know "nutten" defense won't fly
Old 08-13-2020, 10:36 AM

There is no field there and you can see clearly in the video that the tractor is on a road not in the field.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
There is no field there and you can see clearly in the video that the tractor is on a road not in the field.
I agree. Tractor is back on the road when they pull him out. I could see if you drive through the ditch right into the field there but he came back on the road clearly driving around the check stop. So I have to assume his next field is further down the road and he clearly by-passed the check stop.

If the tractor would have been parked on the field, I would say yes, ok wasn't clear maybe or a bad judgement call. However, when cops approach you, you should clue in that maybe you didn't do something right. Stop, wait for instructions, discuss, get out or whatever they want. We don't have to fear police here so co-operation is really the way to go. I am sure if he had explained he misunderstood and his field was right there, he would have gotten sent back to work. No harm done.

If he drove around and back on the road, stopped, waited for the cops, explained that he was confused or whatever, did the breathalyzer test, negative result, they would have sent him on as well probably. Not sure if they would fine him or not, I probably would have given him a stern talking to and let him go.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
How is this scenario different than any of us being caught at a train crossing on the way to work?
I am amazed nobody used this very thing against the argument;

'well if there is a check stop and a train rolls through......'

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
https://youtu.be/nzdWp9tYOKI

This is the video of him being removed from the tractor. He’s isn’t in any hay field nor is there any hay field to be in where this took place. He simply chose to evade the checkstop and the police.

If you purposely evade the police there must be a reason. Why do you think most people avoid checkstops?

From a public safety factor I’m glad that the police went after him and stopped him because he very easily COULD have been a huge threat to others.

Yes a tractor most certainly is a vehicle and it has to obey the laws of the road and it’s operator must comply with and obey the police like anybody else.
Looks like it was written by CBC

'Sheriffs Attacking Farm Boy, For No Reason, See Description'

Old 08-13-2020, 11:59 AM

So most of you dont think the sheriff could have or should have deescalated things with this boy? Most of you think police should not use judgement and only enforce laws that they think will serve the best interest of the community?
I just can't help but wonder if this applied to sportsmen who might get ratted out by a friend,neighbor,etc for having a firearm or clip that the feds deem dangerous to the public? What if the sportsman going through a divorce gets a visit from the sheriffs and they punch him in the head for not immediately complying to the federal governments new or future newn gun laws?
Old 08-13-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
So most of you dont think the sheriff could have or should have deescalated things with this boy? Most of you think police should not use judgement and only enforce laws that they think will serve the best interest of the community?
I just can't help but wonder if this applied to sportsmen who might get ratted out by a friend,neighbor,etc for having a firearm or clip that the feds deem dangerous to the public? What if the sportsman going through a divorce gets a visit from the sheriffs and they punch him in the head for not immediately complying to the federal governments new or future newn gun laws?
Stupid sway and deflection.

Throwing in emotional plea for like-minded people to get on your side rarely works.

What if what if. Who cares?

Gun laws? Really?

You/we were not there. We have not seen bodycam footage. What did the idiot say to the Sheriffs to elicit such a response?

Old 08-13-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Your insurance agent will tell you that Alberta farm plated vehicles are way less of a risk to them than normal vehicles .
Your insurance agent will also tell you that is because farm plated vehicles spend far less time on the road than normal vehicles and therefore are less at risk. Has nothing to do with the quality of the operator, just the number of kilometers driven on the road over the life of the vehicle.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Can you turn right at the red light if you don’t have to go through it?

No. You sit there and wait for it to turn green, then floor it to get past traffic and pull into the lane directly to your left. As long as you signal it's cool.

No sane person goes right anymore. It's all about the left.

Last edited by 270person; 08-13-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Or perhaps it’s simpler than that. Perhaps you simply have a much higher tolerance for people with a strong sense of entitlement than the rest of us.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Should people so physically frail that they can’t exhale properly be allowed to drive though?
That could be good point but I have never actually blew in a breathalyzer so can't comment on if they should be driving or not.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Driving around one is stupid yes. If your field is on the other side of the ditch then not so much.

In that case it's only allowed where the 90 degree comes into play and you have to drive through a fence to get into your field. Then the cops get to rough you up just for being an idiot.

You're saying there was an approach right at the end of the checkstop lineup and the kid simply pulled an extremely convenient 90 into his own field? Didnt have to travel any distance parallel to the lineup. Gotcha.

Maybe the kid had one of those rare Get Out of Lineups Free cards or hey, maybe his Covid mask rode up on his face and he never even saw the checkstop lineup? Caused him to veer down into the ditch, then straighten out long enough to get past the checkstop and THEN pull into his field.

You may be onto something here. These damn masks cause civil disobedience and can be a hazard while driving. I'm totally using this. "Sorry officer. Didn't see you there. My mask was riding up. Same reason I didn't get out of my vehicle when you pounded on the door. I thought it was a bad man looking to harm my fragility and my vision was obscured. Please stop punching me officer."

The only real question here is, "was there curious cattle watching things play out?" If any of them saw the incident in its entirety could they be asked to testify in court? If so I'm going to be there. I like cows and think it's about damn time they get a chance to speak up about things.

Last edited by 270person; 08-13-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Or perhaps it’s simpler than that. Perhaps you simply have a much higher tolerance for people with a strong sense of entitlement than the rest of us.
I think I understand now what this is really about.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
In that case it's only allowed where the 90 degree comes into play and you have to drive through a fence to get into your field. Then the cops get to rough you up just for being an idiot.

You're saying there was an approach right at the end of the checkstop lineup and the kid simply pulled an extremely convenient 90 into his own field? Didnt have to travel any distance parallel to the lineup. Gotcha.

Maybe the kid had one of those rare Get Out of Lineups Free cards or hey, maybe his Covid mask rode up on his face and he never even saw the checkstop lineup? Caused him to veer down into the ditch, then straighten out long enough to get past the checkstop and THEN pull into his field.

You may be onto something here. These damn masks cause civil disobedience and can be a hazard while driving. I'm totally using this. "Sorry officer. Didn't see you there. My mask was riding up. Same reason I didn't get out of my vehicle when you pounded on the door. I thought it was a bad man looking to harm my fragility and my vision was obscured. Please stop punching me officer."

The only real question here is, "was there curious cattle watching things play out?" If any of them saw the incident in its entirety could they be asked to testify in court? If so I'm going to be there. I like cows and think it's about damn time they get a chance to speak up about things.
Lol. You were there! Not me!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I am not saying police couldn't have handled it differently but I am seeing a massive tractor and a resisting driver. While tractors aren't fast they are quite powerful and can run over officers on foot quiet easily. I would have been quick here too before he takes off. Also a pursuit is always great danger for by standers. I wouldn't risk it. Split second decision too. I would have gone after him quickly too I think and I am a woman. Also, again... why is he refusing???

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 PM

Officer's had no choice if he wouldn't get out of the tractor and talk to them. Most normal farmers would have got out, explained the situation, and been on their way.

With the threat of the guy driving off with the tractor and potentially running the cops over, they needed to act swiftly. Moral of the story don't get lippy with the police, and cooperate. If they do something wrong you'll get your day in court.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Read the comments in this article and it is amazing how police are guilty immediately yet the people that do not obey them have zero responsibility. That or the family is really busy commenting...

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-441cc95000f7/
Old 08-13-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Stupid sway and deflection.

Throwing in emotional plea for like-minded people to get on your side rarely works.

What if what if. Who cares?

Gun laws? Really?

You/we were not there. We have not seen bodycam footage. What did the idiot say to the Sheriffs to elicit such a response?
I was talking about our laws and how they are applied. I thought we ( citizens)were all on the same side?
Sway and deflection? They were being compared to incest in earlier comments.
You are right about none of us being there but there has been a lot of cases like this . plus cases of kicking down doors and taking firearms during fire or flooding emergencies when communities have been evacuated.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I am not saying police couldn't have handled it differently but I am seeing a massive tractor and a resisting driver. While tractors aren't fast they are quite powerful and can run over officers on foot quiet easily. I would have been quick here too before he takes off. Also a pursuit is always great danger for by standers. I wouldn't risk it. Split second decision too. I would have gone after him quickly too I think and I am a woman. Also, again... why is he refusing???
Yeah all I'm saying is tractors are slow. I dont think there was any risk of him out running anyone. Some on here seem to to be making the accusation that farmers are some type of hazard on the road but I think it has more to do with a perceived advantage.
My thoughts are more like I just dont see farmers as causing or being a part of rural crime.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:03 PM

^ I don’t get what you are talking about. It’s as simple as a guy running through a checkstop. That’s all there is. Rural/native/white/Christian/whatever has nothing to do with anything.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I was talking about our laws and how they are applied. I thought we ( citizens)were all on the same side?
Sway and deflection? They were being compared to incest in earlier comments.
You are right about none of us being there but there has been a lot of cases like this . plus cases of kicking down doors and taking firearms during fire or flooding emergencies when communities have been evacuated.
LOL and there it is!!!

I was waiting for that, every opportunity possible all the cop bashers jump right on that bandwagon.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Lol. You were there! Not me!

Sure but I was watching the cows for their reaction. Pretty sure i "herd" " smooooth moooove farmer boy."
Old 08-13-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Dont you think this gives the police to much power?
Example ex of a cop gets tested in front of her neighbours by the ex husbands friend.
People getting tested in front of workplace because they dont like his skin color or politics?
If someone is acting drunk and they have a reason its different,but god your giving them a lot of power here.
In rural places where everybody knows everybody it doesn't take anything to get a rumour started.
I would not want to be tested and I dont really drink either it just because of the way it would look to people.
In both of those scenarios there is recourse for harassment if there isn't any probable cause.

You can't go and target or single someone out without that.

In the event of a non discriminating blanket check stop, they can test everyone, so if the ex-cops neighbor's wife or whatever is in the lineup that wouldn't count as harassment - but in your example it would be.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:58 PM

cops,should have used a

CATTLE PROD. on him

The only 2 things people really understand in this world are

wait for it

PAIN. AND. MONEY
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
LOL and there it is!!!

I was waiting for that, every opportunity possible all the cop bashers jump right on that bandwagon.

I'm not sure why your trying to make it about me.
My father who I loved and respected very much was Chief of Police and in law enforcement for 25 years. What I'm saying is what he used to tell me. But this shouldn't be about me personally.
If some law enforcement people are being way more aggressive than they need to be with people who are not criminals, example that little girl in the storm trooper costume in Lethbridge, how can you be upset with me for talking about it?
I have said multiple times that the farm kid was probably in the wrong. I just dont understand why some on here seem happy about how it ended.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:08 PM

Holy this doesn't get any better. Apparently the kid couldn't speak for a week after the incident because he was so shaken up. And they lost $100,000 because he couldn't drive his tractor into the field, that didn't have any hay in it.

I wish the news and papers would publish a story about what really happened. And how much money this family has. And how all these gullible morons are donating money to them.

Now I've had my fare share of run ins with the law, but I know they're doing their job. If you talk crap about them and what they're doing, you should be registered on a list. And then when you need help, they don't have to help you because you lost your privileges for being an idiot.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM

I wonder if the doctor killer in red deer got treated like this. I hope so or even worse
Old 08-13-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I agree piker, what the heck does homeschooling have to do with anything?

Lets look at this from the LEO side of things in the moment.

Nice day, doing a checkstop to get drunk drivers off the road. Got a nice little line up things are going smoothly, have some nice chats with people, some less than nice but all in all a good day. All of a sudden you look up and a tractor has veered off the road in to the ditch and trying to bypass your checkstop. This is not normal behaviour. You and your co-workers get the tractor to stop, but the occupant is ignoring your commands or refusing. All you know at this point is someone tried to bypass the checkstop, is not responding to commands, refuses to blow, and won't come out of the tractor.

Seems like something is off, so you remove said person from the tractor, they fight it, the use of force is escalated based on the restitence. Next the brother comes up and starts arguing the point and gets in the tractor to drive away, he to is uncooperative and needs to be cuffed.

Seems like the only one's at fault are the family with the tractor. Now more information comes out that this family is secular, and possibly along the likes of the Freeman on the Land, and it makes all the sense in the world why things unrolled the way they did.

Sorry but from my seat, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
This ^^^.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Goodness. You are trying way too hard. Did you want the negotiator and a social worker to show up and ask the man to get out of the tractor? See where society failed him? Maybe talk about his perceived traumas and socio economic status? Ask if he would like a rally to honor his abuses?

And...

The divorcing sportsmen dont get visits from sheriffs, and this idiot didnt get punched in the head.

And complying is for peoples safety sake and goes two ways. Ask yourdaddy the Chief. If he was any good at his job he will have the patience to explain it to you.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine