Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Conservation Tax Proposed

Well our professional local enviro never worked a day in his life guy( Steven LeGault--Y2Y) is up to no good in our little mountain town. It seems he had a poll done and 75% of the people polled are OK with a conservation tax of $50 to $80 a year to help fund Y2Y (his paycheque and expenses). I dang near swallowed my teeth when I read this garbage on the front page of the Rockey Mountain Outlook. I kinda needed something to do so I will fight this nonsense tooth and nail. Who do these people think they are and how can they be stopped? Blood pressure is almost back to normal.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Well our professional local enviro never worked a day in his life guy( Steven LeGault--Y2Y) is up to no good in our little mountain town. It seems he had a poll done and 75% of the people polled are OK with a conservation tax of $50 to $80 a year to help fund Y2Y (his paycheque and expenses). I dang near swallowed my teeth when I read this garbage on the front page of the Rockey Mountain Outlook. I kinda needed something to do so I will fight this nonsense tooth and nail. Who do these people think they are and how can they be stopped? Blood pressure is almost back to normal.
These ********s are pretty good at suckering in the uninformed. Get ready for your new tax.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 PM

I'm all for a smallconservation sales tax like the states does 1% of our spending on outdoor related products to go into habitat conservation would yield millions. I'm not in favour of shuttling it to y2y, I thinking more like DU, pheasants forever, trout unlimited etc. And for creating a fund that would pay farmers to keep some native cover on their land.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 PM

What are DU, trout unlimited and pheasants forever saying out loud about the castle park proposal?

I don't want any of my money being collected to be given to farmers either. Thanks.

And yes I am a farmer...
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Banned

Thieving bums are stealing too much of our money as it is. The only tax talk that makes sense is cutting them. (with a chainsaw...not a scalpel)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 AM

Just keep calling it " The Y2Y Tax" (which it actually is), and it'll be difficult for the town to pursue.

Next ask "If the Y2Y crowd is so concerned about wildlife connectivity, then why is their head office smack dab in the centre of Canmore, - a major wildlife corridor? They could run their business out of any major city, why contribute to Canmore's wildlife corridor impairment?

And "If Y2Y needs funding so badly, why is their head office smack dab in the centre of Canmore, - the most expensive real estate in Alberta? They could run their business from anywhere, and spend less on rent, & more on conservation.

If you don't think that ecozealot groups Including Y2Y) can direct our governments, then check out the endorsements in the Castle park government 'Press Release' https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...6E08357654B8F9
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Banned

Y2Y has a powerful agent in our government. Don't underestimate Shannon Phillips.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I'm all for a smallconservation sales tax like the states does 1% of our spending on outdoor related products to go into habitat conservation would yield millions. I'm not in favour of shuttling it to y2y, I thinking more like DU, pheasants forever, trout unlimited etc. And for creating a fund that would pay farmers to keep some native cover on their land.
I'm with you on this one.
Perhaps it's time that AFGA and other conservation/outdoors groups propose such a tax?
1% or 2% of sales won't make any of us any poorer.
And it could pay for more land that we could be hunting on.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 AM

**** off, we're taxed to death as it is.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
**** off, we're taxed to death as it is.
Best post on this thread
Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Best post on this thread
+1 Our governments would just throw it into general revenue and waste it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Would appreciate that when you use acronyms or initials, please write it out in full first. It makes us, not in the loop, understand what one is talking about.

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 AM

Y2Y - Yellowstone to Yukon. They want an uninterrupted wildlife corridor from Yellowstone to the Yukon. Basically extend Banff national park to Waterton and Jasper north to the Yukon.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM

I support local and provincial charities of my choice and I choose not to support Y2Y. If they need funding then go out and knock on doors and hustle some money but to try and impose a tax to further their agenda is just not right. Living in liberalville is becoming a bit of a chore.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Best post on this thread
X a billion
Old 02-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Wow, there really needs to be some opposition to this Y2Y group. They're in bed with politicians at both levels of Government. Attempting to create sustainable funding for an idealistic NGO through a Municipal tax base while you're in bed with the Mayor is pretty clever.

If I were a resident of Canmore I would strongly oppose this. Notice details of their conservation initiatives are left out. If they completed a poll that asked for support of a Municipal tax to limit or ban OHV access, random camping, non-FN hunting and fishing along the eastern slopes it would most assuredly create a different and negative response.

Be assured that none of the overriding initiatives will show on a plebiscite. Hopefully that community can see through the ploy of a group requesting public funding on basis of a single ambiguous word "conservation".
Old 02-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Problem is the entire towns a hotbed for them. They have nothing but support and praise from local media. Even the schools give them a fair bit of credit. Feom what i hear around town y2y focus way to much on saving the animals and ignore that opening certain species for hunting is good for the population. Next if we are being taxed money to be given to a charity group like this. Wouldnt that loose them the ngo tag as the goverment is forcing us to fund them? If they did make a conservation tax throw all of it into sallerys for new COs and FW then rules might get enforced
Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Any of you in favor of another tax are likely orange voters