Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Default Calgary Winter Olympics 2026, bid survey

Here is a short 5-10 minute survey asking for your input on whether Calgary should continue exploring a bid opportunity.

The economic reach of a bid and subsequent approval of the Olympics, would go beyond just Calgary. So it is important that anyone who is interested, should take the opportunity to voice their input.

https://www.shouldcalgarybid.com/
Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 PM

Personally,

I would welcome a bid. As a city, province, nation we need something to look forward too. It has been two years of doom and gloom, this could bring something positive back Alberta.

Economically, it can be a risk, however with the new requirements of a bid to use pre-existing infrastructure, I think that this would be more positive than negative for Alberta.

It would mean new sport infrastructure, so we can continue to grow world class athletes in Alberta.

It would hopefully shine a new light on Alberta, bringing in more investment in the province.

The construction phase would be a headache, but I could live with it.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Put your city on the sports highlights for a couple weeks, and then spend the next 20 years paying for it?
Doesn't seem prudent.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Put your city on the sports highlights for a couple weeks, and then spend the next 20 years paying for it?
Doesn't seem prudent.
So be prudent in how it's designed.

Vancouver is not paying for it, they broke even. The economic stimulus to Vancouver and area is not included in that, which is enormous.

There would be tons of jobs available, an infusion to the local economy, upgraded infrastructure that would not likely be completed otherwise.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
Personally,

I would welcome a bid. As a city, province, nation we need something to look forward too. It has been two years of doom and gloom, this could bring something positive back Alberta.

Economically, it can be a risk, however with the new requirements of a bid to use pre-existing infrastructure, I think that this would be more positive than negative for Alberta.

It would mean new sport infrastructure, so we can continue to grow world class athletes in Alberta.

It would hopefully shine a new light on Alberta, bringing in more investment in the province.

The construction phase would be a headache, but I could live with it.
Just like it did for Whistler and BC in 2010, forecast cost was $400,000 million. Ended up costing over $4 BILLION. This didn't include the costs for decades after to maintain the infrastructure built for it. Within a couple weeks of the closing ceremonies it was just another event that was over and forgotten leaving little economic benefit for the province and decades worth of debt.

These events are simply a way for corporations and the wealthy to take money from the taxpayer and launder it into their own pockets through contracts to build infrastructure and contracts to maintain it after. Ordinary people get little benefit other then a couple weeks entertainment. Vast majority of people can't afford to go to the events even if they wanted, the vast majority of people don't watch it on TV either having no real interest in it, yet they are forced to pay taxes for it.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post

Vancouver is not paying for it, they broke even. The economic stimulus to Vancouver and area is not included in that, which is enormous.

There would be tons of jobs available, an infusion to the local economy, upgraded infrastructure that would not likely be completed otherwise.

Cheers
That's up for debate. http://www.straight.com/article-3649...ouver-olympics
Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Just like it did for Whistler and BC in 2010, forecast cost was $400,000 million. Ended up costing over $4 BILLION. This didn't include the costs for decades after to maintain the infrastructure built for it. Within a couple weeks of the closing ceremonies it was just another event that was over and forgotten leaving little economic benefit for the province and decades worth of debt.

These events are simply a way for corporations and the wealthy to take money from the taxpayer and launder it into their own pockets through contracts to build infrastructure and contracts to maintain it after. Ordinary people get little benefit other then a couple weeks entertainment. Vast majority of people can't afford to go to the events even if they wanted, the vast majority of people don't watch it on TV either having no real interest in it, yet they are forced to pay taxes for it.
Not as much up for debate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...asts_in_Canada

Seems the most watched events in Canada TV history is Olympic events.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Not as much up for debate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...asts_in_Canada

Cheers
no no no. don't bring facts into this discussion. He used strong words like "vast majority" a couple times so clearly he backed it up with facts. and what exactly is $400,000 million? wouldn't that make it $400 billion? lol.so they came in at 10% of their estimates. sweet deal.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:17 PM

I am all for it. We have many facilities that are up to date and would require little renovation, we have facilities that are up to date that would require renovation to accommodate the Olympics (mostly crowds). But some money would have to be spent on a Ski jump and possible an arena and whatever else I am missing. Calgary could hold an Olympics very economically, and be a huge example on how to hold a world class event.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Cheers
TV ratings.....playing with figures over a two week period total viewers. That does not mean it was watched by the majority of people or even a minority of people, just means that more people watched it than the next most watched channel, or the third most watched or the 112th most watched at any given time, all the other channels combined together got far more viewers, they didn't get much more than the Stanley cup finals.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:

If i remember correctly the Sky train and the sea to sky high way, where included in the 4 billion which was a lot of that 4 billion, both of which was needed, and was happening regardless of the Vancouver Olympics.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
no no no. don't bring facts into this discussion. He used strong words like "vast majority" a couple times so clearly he backed it up with facts. and what exactly is $400,000 million? wouldn't that make it $400 billion? lol.so they came in at 10% of their estimates. sweet deal.
$4 billion = 4 Thousand million. Cost could actually be higher.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15036916/
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Cheers

That's sounds great.
But where did the money come from to pay back Vancouver? (Honest question). I don't imagine "The Olympics" cut them a cheque.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
$4 billion = 4 Thousand million. Cost could actually be higher.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15036916/
I am well aware of $4 billion =4000 million. you wrote $400,000 million which is a crazy way of writing 400 billion. look at me moving decimal points around...
Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
That's sounds great.
But where did the money come from to pay back Vancouver? (Honest question). I don't imagine "The Olympics" cut them a cheque.
ticket sales, advertising, TV rights deals are always lucrative. and I am sure there was a tax or two helping to pay.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
TV ratings.....playing with figures over a two week period total viewers. That does not mean it was watched by the majority of people or even a minority of people, just means that more people watched it than the next most watched channel, or the third most watched or the 112th most watched at any given time, all the other channels combined together got far more viewers, they didn't get much more than the Stanley cup finals.
flights across the country were delayed due to the mens hockey gold medal game. people refused to leave the airport lounges so they could watch the finale. yup, no one cared at all.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Cheers
KLEIN was mayor in 88= Sucessful Olympics

Nenshi Mayor or any Current councilor = uncontroled spending, they cant even run the city with the money they get now. How will they pay for it.
Its only 10 cups of Coffee a month. Suck it up so I can look good to the world.

I was on the fence, I filled out the survey this morning. With their explanation now I am opposed to it.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I am well aware of $4 billion =4000 million. you wrote $400,000 million which is a crazy way of writing 400 billion. look at me moving decimal points around...
LOL I'll see if I can edit it. Typing without looking, meant $400 million.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Banned

The olympics, like the UN, are an evil deviation from noble intentions. Giving any money or time to those bloodsuckers is an exercise in idiocy. Funding any of those criminals should be a crime in and of itself.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
flights across the country were delayed due to the mens hockey gold medal game. people refused to leave the airport lounges so they could watch the finale. yup, no one cared at all.
And that somehow means a majority of Canadians were watching..... hmmm
Old 02-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
That's sounds great.
The revenue generated from the Olympics - gates, merchandise, TV deals, etc.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:53 PM
AO Sponsor

I would love to see this happen! IMHO Calgary (and Alberta as a whole) really needs something positive feeling to rally behind and get everyone excited to get back onto the world stage for something other than oil and rodeo. The sad truth is it feels like we have fallen away in relevancy on the world stage which sucks because we do have a lot to offer. With the way oil and the Stampede is portrayed in the world media today, we are getting overwhelmed by the enviro police type attitudes and are constantly being made to look like we are the world enemy to outsiders, and this is a huge stage to help us show how much more we are as well as giving us a stage to show that we are actually leaders and not the dirty polluters they say we are...

It just needs to be done properly, which is always the rub.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
LOL I'll see if I can edit it. Typing without looking, meant $400 million.
Just out of curiosity, where did you find the budget for the Vancouver Olympics was only 400 million? That seems very small, since many venues would cost that or more.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Default Top 7 Olympic financial disasters (Vancouver 2010 made the list)

http://fortune.com/2016/08/10/olympi...ial-disasters/

Quote:
Vancouver ended up with $630 million in debt after hosting the 2010 Games, though it would be unfair to place all the blame on the planning committee’s shoulders because its financial troubles were partly the product of bad timing. In September 2008, as the global financial crisis was in full throttle, the hedge fund lending to the Olympic Village developer cut off funding. Vancouver paid off its debt in 2014 by selling the village’s luxury condos, but a recent report by Business in Vancouver shows that taxpayers got stuck covering hundreds of millions of dollars of debt.

“I think Vancouver, which is typical for the Olympic Games, overestimated the benefits from hosting and underestimated the costs,” Baade said.
Vancouver is a case study in how global trends or any other external economic pressure can play a major financial role in the games (though overspending was also to blame). Tokyo just has to hope it doesn’t have to scramble to deal with a global economic meltdown before 2020.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
And that somehow means a majority of Canadians were watching..... hmmm
Where did I say that a majority was watching? I was simply disputing your claims of "vast majority" didn't watch, clearly the factual numbers dispute your position.

edit, canadas population was right around 32 million in 2010, viewership was 16.67 million....... pretty darn close to a majority actually. didn't see exact numbers for populations but it sure looks like majority ruled there....

Last edited by mulecrazy; 02-23-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where did you find the budget for the Vancouver Olympics was only 400 million? That seems very small, since many venues would cost that or more.
In the late 90's and early 2000's before it even started promoters and Olympic comittee at first were promoting the cost forecast at approximately 400 million, then it went to 700 million and so forth. They were going to use existing infrastructure, make a few improvements and so forth. Kinda like they are now for the bid for Calgary. They used this figure in the early stages to sell the idea in order to get approved to apply a bid to host the 2010 olympics . Once the Olympics were awarded all sorts of additions to infrastructure were added on as it morphed into a 'World Class Spectacle and Showboat'. The costs skyrocketed.
http://www.policynote.ca/looking-bac...-winter-games/
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Where did I say that a majority was watching? I was simply disputing your claims of "vast majority" didn't watch, clearly the factual numbers dispute your position.

edit, canadas population was right around 32 million in 2010, viewership was 16.67 million....... pretty darn close to a majority actually. didn't see exact numbers for populations but it sure looks like majority ruled there....
Over a two week period about 16.67 million tuned in. I watched some of it for a few minutes here and there also, then tuned to something else, so even I got counted as I flipped through the channels. Technically I watched it but in reality not so much. A lot of people like me and we're paying just as much for the Olympics as you.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Over a two week period about 16.67 million tuned in. I watched some of it for a few minutes here and there also, then tuned to something else, so even I got counted as I flipped through the channels. Technically I watched it but in reality not so much. A lot of people like me and we're paying just as much for the Olympics as you.
Frick, that was a hell of a long game to take 2 weeks to play out. why do you keep going back to this bizarre 2 week thing? It really does absolutely nothing to prove your point. you and I spent actually very little to host those games. we definitely aren't still paying for it now.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 PM

I find it harder to give a crap about the Olympics each time it rolls around. So obviously I'm not the target demographic.
But, if you are a fan of the Olympics, wouldn't you rather that all that money was spent building bigger, faster athletes than hosting the games?
Also, I always figured it had to be a little disappointing for athletes who make the Olympics, and the games are in their hometown.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I was in Calgary during the 88's and in Vancouver during the 2010's.
They both suffered from the same negativity prior to the events and in each case it evaporated overnight once the games began. They both were fantastic events. It's hard to put exact dollar figures on the costs associated with the games since infrastructure such as the sky train to the airport was built as well as the improvements to highway 99 to Whistler are added in there. Yes they were built for the games but each has added massively to the livability of the lower mainland and most couldn't imagine the city without them.