Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Input on taxidermy work required!

Hello All: I buddy of mine was lucky enough to find a baby great horned owl that had been recently hit by a car. All the paperwork has been done to allow him to keep it and now he is looking for a place that does good work on birds of prey. So if anyone has any personal experience with a good taxidermist please let me know.

The owl is located in Redwater.

Thx Chewy

Last edited by chewydog; 02-22-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:56 PM

No better than Ben at Art of Taxidermy but it a VERY expensive taxidermist. I just got a permit for an Eagle and was thinking of taking it in there but not sure after the quote I got. Got quoted 1800 for a standing mount and $2300 for a flying and that is all before the base work as well which I would think would be at least another couple hundred. Guess it depends on what kind of a job you want done and how much you got in your pocket but he does do awesome work.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Dave Booth taxidermy does good work on birds from what I seen and is reasonably priced...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Had a great horned at sugar creek by marco, I was very pleased with the work he mounted it on a fence post...

http://www.sugarcreektaxidermy.ca/
Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM

well... check this out and decide for yourself... he does birds like no other,
if you are a price shopper, he is not for you.. but it sounds like you are looking some good quality work.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=taxidermy
Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Hello All: I buddy of mine was lucky enough to find a baby great horned owl that had been recently hit by a car. All the paperwork has been done to allow him to keep it and now he is looking for a place that does good work on birds of prey. So if anyone has any personal experience with a good taxidermist please let me know.
How the heck did a baby Great Horned Owl get hit by a car!?

I second nube's recommendation of Art of Taxidermy. I just picked up my GH Owl on the weekend, and it is incredible.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 PM

wouldn't think it would be a baby owl this time of year. Juvenile maybe. lots of good bird guys around. Juvenile birds are hard to do because the feathers aren't fully developed (especially on the head). Ask your taxidermist to tell you if its a juvenile and then ask to see some juvenile birds they have done compared to a mature adult bird. You will see a difference. That for me plays a role in what I would pay for a mount.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM

I agree with dshaw. If it is a juvenile, be sure your friend knows that some of feathers will not be developed and will be very noticeable in a finished product.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 PM

Art of taxidermy is on another level ,definetly worth the money if u can afford it
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
wouldn't think it would be a baby owl this time of year. Juvenile maybe.
GHOWs are still courting...maybe sitting on eggs. Certainly no juvies at this time of year. Presumably the bird is from last year.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 AM

Hello All: When I used the word "baby" I meant it was not an adult. To me being a non owl guy, I used the word baby for lack of a better word.

Sorry for any confusion, it was an honest mistake!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:02 AM

I have a large juvenile baldy im needing done. I might give cripple creek taxidermy a try as I have heard great things about Russ.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
GHOWs are still courting...maybe sitting on eggs. Certainly no juvies at this time of year. Presumably the bird is from last year.
Maybe not juvies but not full adults. Last years hatch will be slimmer in body and still not have fully devolved feathers unlike their parents. They probably are sitting on eggs right now.