Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Some good hunting publicity

From today's New York Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/s...ting.html?_r=0

There's been some discussion about the "stop trophy hunting" article recently.
Personally, I think we as hunters have to stop messing around with fighting these "antis" (who are a tiny tiny amount of people. I hang with serious leftist people, including tonnes of vegetarians and vegans, and I can only think of 1 person who would have been a serious anti-hunter.) and start dealing with what is important: keeping the non-hunting public on our side.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Knowledge is power!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM

The majority of people are against trophy hunting in Canada. Hardly a small minority.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Who told you the majority is against trophy hunting? Where do those stats come from exactly?

We DONT HAVE trophy hunting where just a trophy is taken except for bears and that's easily changed to stop the waste of meat.

Now on the side of trophy hunting (if it existed here) by taking only the horns the majority of the useable body parts are left for nature to use. One could make the argument that trophy hunting is the ultimate way of returning nutrients to nature. When we take the meat out we're "robbing" the ecosystem of useable nutrients.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Default I take exception to the term trophy hunter

Yes I have a collection on the wall and I hunt for prime specimens and may not shoot unless the one I want is found but I also utilize every bit of meat.
Just because I hunt heads doesn t mean the meat is wasted that is just the story the antis like to promote.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
The majority of people are against trophy hunting in Canada. Hardly a small minority.
So what is "trophy hunting"?

It's a term that's mostly meaningless - but it sure sounds bad to someone with no understanding of game laws, wildlife management or hunting culture.

As hunters we'd be best served by eliminating this term from the public discussion all together and focus on education of the non-hunters.

A strong majority support hunting for meat and an overwhelming majority support the consumption of meat by humans. Those are numbers we can work with. Hunters should stop treating themselves like their backs are against the wall and get in front of the issue.

Sorry to the poster I quoted - not intended to be personal at all - but it's a loaded term that's an automatic lose for us.

Some more good publicity from January in Calgary:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/vid...ylistPageNum=1

Last edited by Twobucks; 02-16-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Who told you the majority is against trophy hunting? Where do those stats come from exactly?

We DONT HAVE trophy hunting where just a trophy is taken except for bears and that's easily changed to stop the waste of meat.

Now on the side of trophy hunting (if it existed here) by taking only the horns the majority of the useable body parts are left for nature to use. One could make the argument that trophy hunting is the ultimate way of returning nutrients to nature. When we take the meat out we're "robbing" the ecosystem of useable nutrients.
There's been a few news stories lately about it.

Wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars etc are all allowed to have the meat wasted.

I support trophy hunting as I think it has its place. But many other see it as senseless killing to fill a "bloodlust"
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
There's been a few news stories lately about it.

Wolves, coyotes, bears, cougars etc are all allowed to have the meat wasted.

I support trophy hunting as I think it has its place. But many other see it as senseless killing to fill a "bloodlust"
If trophy hunting as most people describe it was legal, you could count me in as one of those opposed. But I firmly believe that the majority of people's opposition to hunting comes from not understanding that it is regulated.

What percent of the general population even knows that there are hunting seasons, let alone about tags, draws, and all the wildlife management that stands behind those things?