Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Default 2016 wolf

Finally got my wolf back from the taxidermist and couldn't be more happy with how it turned out. I was up north working with a good buddy of mine and on our off days we were out hunting every chance we got mostly trying for deer and elk but he knew there were wolves in the area. We went to one of his spots looking for elk and we ended up seeing a couple cows so scouted the area knew they were around so we heading back home after scouting with no success that day. A few days later we decided that I should go back to that spot and he would go check another spot he knew there were animals. He dropped me off at the end of the road I had a little walk to the spot where we seen the elk. It was just coming daylight as I was walking down the edge of the field headed to my spot and I spotted what I thought at the time was a couple coyotes about 300 yards at the edge of the tree line. So I took a seat and watched for a little bit kinda dissapointed figuring if there was a pack of coyotes there probably wasn't much else around. As it got a little lighter I noticed a black one come out of the trees at that moment I figured it out they weren't coyotes they were wolves. So down I layed and in went a shell. The other two were still sauntering around and I decided I would take the shot at the black one. She was about 200 yards away and trotting across the field. Pulled the gun and let a shot go. She did a 360 and went down just in a dip in the field were I couldn't see her. As the shot rang out, out of the tree line about 50 yards in front of me out came another flying across the field. My adrenaline at this point was so high I couldn't seem to rack another shell in I was so excited and nervous as I couldn't see the downed wolf that i shot at. They all ran off into the bush and the howling started. It was nothing like I have ever heard. Simply amazing being from the east coast we don't experience things like that. So on the phone I go texted my buddy and say get back here there are wolves all over the places. It took him about 20 mins to get back to me as I just sat where I had shot from not knowing if I had killed it or not. Longest 20 mins of my life, he showed up and down the field we go to check. 50 yards or so down the field I was walking beside the truck and I hear wolve!!! Another one came out of the treelike b lining it to where the others were and up comes the gun and let a shot go. MISS!! Oh well let's see if I got this black one. We get a little closer to where I had thought she was and I hear hooting and howlering coming from the truck wolve down!! We do all the pictures and checking her out admiring her. I was still in shock I had actually killed a wolf. First time I had ever seen them in the wild. As we are doing the pictures the rest of the pack were in the Bush going crazy so my buddy looks at me and says wanna go get them? Heck Ya lets go so off we go in the woods after them. Probably played cat and mouse with them for a good two hours then we figure they winded us and off they went. Was the most amazing hunting experience I had ever had will not fOrget that for a very long time. Hope you enjoyed my little hunting story and if someone wants to message me that can post pictures I can send them a couple but I cant seem to figure it out.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 PM

I'm trying to figure this out so hopefully it works.
http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/kr...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Looks great!

Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanks bub that's what I was trying to do appreciate it and yes I'm more than happy how it turned out.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned

There we go! Thanks Bub. Wasn't working for me. Congrats to OP. That is a beutifull Wolf and a great mount.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Looks great and a great story to go with it. 😀
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM

Super nice mount and a Black one too. Congrats.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 PM

Nice mount and great story , congrats . Had my own wolf excitement here a couple weeks ago with all the howling and barking you can imagine .The big difference is you have your wolf .. It truly is a sound you will never forget isnt it ..
Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Beauty!!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM

That turned out great!!! Very nice, thanks for sharin!!