Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default There is only one way to get this done !Shut down trophy hunting !

Sun news today ......

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/02/14...ned-in-alberta

Have to shut down APOS .....now mixed emotions .

Canada the largest Exporters of Trophy Animals in the world

Soon all hunters will come together in this country or die divided !
Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 PM

"Almost 10,000 black bears trophies are exported from Canada each year. Other animals hunted include polar bears, narwhals, mountain lions, cougars, lynx, otters, owls and bighorn sheep."

Those trophy hunters targeting otters are giving all of us a bad name! What a joke.

Also owls? Illegal to hunt. Another not so informed anti. The guy is a joke. He is just trying to make money off of this spin.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 PM

I find that animals with bigger horns also have more meat.

These bafoons are so far removed from reality it's actually starting to get funny.

The bear population is exploding down here. Somebody needs to start making human beings a part of the ecosystem.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM

"Ya man. Look at the horns on that Great Horned Owl." He's a shooter. These are the people that the government listens to. Really disheartening!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Default The End of Alberta Trophy Hunting?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-sport-hunting

Quote:
A new conservation group launched Tuesday is calling for the NDP government to stop trophy hunting in Alberta.
African eco-safari operators Mike and Maryanne Donovan created the non-profit group Ban Trophy Hunting Ltd. on the heels of a national poll showing four out of five Canadians support legislation banning it.
The Insights West poll commissioned by Ban Trophy Hunting shows 88 per cent of Canadians are opposed to hunting animals for sport, 79 per cent oppose killing animals for their fur, but 68 per cent are in favour of hunting animals for meat.
“A lot of true hunters don’t like trophy hunting,” said Mike Donovan, who says he has no issue with hunting to eat. “Everyone tries to paint you as a left-wing lunatic when you take these positions. But I’m a typical conservative person. I vote conservative. I’m not a vegan.”
Donovan said he was initially concerned about trophy hunting in Africa, where he runs eco-safaris, but soon learned that Canada is the largest exporter of trophy animals in the world.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare’s 2016 report found the biggest sources of trophy animals between 2004 and 2014 are Canada at 35 per cent, South Africa (23 per cent) and Namibia (11 per cent).
Almost 10,000 black bear trophies are exported from Canada each year. Other animals hunted include polar bears, narwhals, cougars, lynx, otters, owls and bighorn sheep.

A YouTube video posted on June 5,2016 shows American hunter Josh Bowmar spearing a black bear from about 12 to 15 yards away with a homemade spear. The hunt was near Swan Hills, about two hours north of Edmonton. Screen capture.
Donovan dismisses the idea that sport hunting provides income and employment.
“The point that irks me is the justification for killing these animals is that we’re creating employment in these remote areas. But Africa is ample proof you can make as much or more money with ecotourism.”
Ban Trophy Hunting is holding lectures in Calgary and Edmonton to raise awareness and pressure politicians. The Calgary event is May 25 at the John Dutton Theatre, 616 Macleod Trail S.E. People are asked to register at www.BanTrophyHuntingLtd.com
No one from the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society could be reached and Alberta Fish and Game Association officials declined to comment on the issue.
The Insights West online poll of 1,210 adults, including an oversample of 203 aboriginal Canadians, was conducted between Feb. 5 to Feb. 11. The data has been statistically weighted according to Canadian census figures for age, gender and region. The margin of error — which measures sample variability — is plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.
We can assume the NDP will take this seriously.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Well I have to say, if 4/5 want to ban trophy hunting, then we trophy hunters are a visible minority. Being a part of a visible minority, I think a few of us should just whine to the powers that be and hold a protest or two, claiming our ancestral right to hunt for trophies. Playing that way we should be able to shoot anything we want, anywhere we want. Public land, private land, day, night, from a vehicle...... Why do people always need a battle to fight?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-sport-hunting

We can assume the NDP will take this seriously.
I am not going to assume anything. I will wait to see what our beloved politicians from all parties will say.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM

I dunno about anyone else, but it would not surprise me if the NDP supported this. I can hear it now "science based decision" with an extra dose of "has the majority support from Albertan's". (Which they might?) It is not like they are worried about the jobs or economic activity that it creates and they certainly do not care about what a small percentage of Albertan's enjoy.

It will start with bears, cougar Ect. and then in a few years move onto horns and antlers Ect. IMO.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM

If the outfitters are not going to stand up against this, then we shouldn't either.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Donavan is a very poor liar using any excuse he can to promote his own agenda
Cat
Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 PM

I don't even hunt anymore and this makes me upset. What a sad state this province has become.

Dodger.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
The point that irks me is the justification for killing these animals is that we’re creating employment in these remote areas. But Africa is ample proof you can make as much or more money with ecotourism
Nobody wants to go on a safari in Swan Hills!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 PM

10000 black bears a year exported?!?! Am I reading that number right? I call BS.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
10000 black bears a year exported?!?! Am I reading that number right? I call BS.
Canada is big country. It would be a totally different stat if it was done by animals per square mile.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
Well I have to say, if 4/5 want to ban trophy hunting, then we trophy hunters are a visible minority. Being a part of a visible minority, I think a few of us should just whine to the powers that be and hold a protest or two, claiming our ancestral right to hunt for trophies. Playing that way we should be able to shoot anything we want, anywhere we want. Public land, private land, day, night, from a vehicle...... Why do people always need a battle to fight?
My guess is that we don't have time to protest because we have jobs and commitments. The antis however...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 PM

Shy of banning hunting, how can you control whether someone hunts for trophy or meat? Shy of legislating a maximum score on an animal and bringing in mandatory registration and scoring, its impossible to ban trophy hunting. Sure, i shot this 185" whitetail for meat officer, lol
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM

We don't have "trophy hunting" the meat of all game animals except bear must be used (not wasted), taking heads only is illegal.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
We don't have "trophy hunting" the meat of all game animals except bear must be used (not wasted), taking heads only is illegal.
ahem.
And cats. And Wolves. And Dogs.
aaaand i think.... skunks, badgers, foxes, rabbits,porcupine, squirrels and whatever else is on that list in the regs.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
ahem.
And cats. And Wolves. And Dogs.
aaaand i think.... skunks, badgers, foxes, rabbits,porcupine, squirrels and whatever else is on that list in the regs.
So i take it you are against shooting pests Chuck

The govt in all its wisdom says its fine
Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 PM

Repost..
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 PM

Another stupid poll that no body ever heard about . And then they tell us most of alberta is in favour . Make me sick .and then the people in power think this is crap is for real
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 AM

Default Protest the protestors

I'd pay the $40 just to heckle this comedy tour,but I don't want to support their warchest......maybe I'll just peacefully protest in my Sunday best camo and hand out FACTUAL literature?
Calgary May 25. http://www.bantrophyhuntingltd.com/calgary

Edmonton May 28. http://www.bantrophyhuntingltd.com/edmonton
Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 AM

is what it is but what can we do? surrounded by antis is making life tough
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 AM

Cuting apos tags would be enough for me
Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Cuting apos tags would be enough for me
And I am sure the Government will give these tags back to residents.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 AM

Mike Donovan is just sore because he lost a court case recently and now wants to punish Alberta hunters by spreading this crap, he is a real piece of work.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I don't even hunt anymore and this makes me upset. What a sad state this province has become.

Dodger.
What's really sad is that problems like this are sprouting up all over. Not just here in Alberta. The country is swinging big time to left, as a culture we are more and more accommodating and it's making us soft. Feel very bad for our kids.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM

This ^^^^
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 AM

+1

Btw, bb356 - don't go ruining a perfectly good argument with facts and reason - especially if they're not politically correct
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM

"trophy" is in the eye of the beholder as everyone knows. They make it seem like we kill an animal, cut the head off and leave the hide and meat to rot.

I find it funny that they consider themselves "conservationist" when we all know all they do is flap their gums at whoever will listen. We are the ones managing unstable populations by allocating more tags or more seasons, or the exact opposite by shutting down tags or seasons.

Im beyond frustrated that people that perhaps have never stepped foot in Canada try and attack not only our way of life but the foundation on what Canada was built. It states in our regulations that no meat can go spoiled and no fur bearing animal can be wasted... So if I shoot a 170" buck do I smash the skull to prove a point?

I am %100 a trophy hunter. I only go after and kill mature animals that I specifically target. That being said Ive always seen the meat as a bonus and never a negative thing. I love steak, roast just as much as the next guy, but I will not go out and kill the first doe I see because I want the meat. That being said theres nothing wrong with that either... Its the notion that trophy hunting gives off thats poor. In the antis eyes why do they support meat hunting, but not support letting an animal reach its maturity in age and growth and then killing it, just because it happens to also have a big rack?

I was born 100 years too late...