Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM

Default Three dogs down

As of over a week ago, I began seeing coyotes every day near the city limits. They are running in packs of three to five , and are very brave, and were trying to lure my dog to chase them. Finally yesterday, I visited one of the larger farmers close to the city, and obtained permission to hunt coyotes on their land. The landowner took me for a tour yesterday, and we discussed the safest places to hunt, so today, I went for a hunt after lunch today. I parked the truck in the landowner's yard and walked 1/2 mile across the field to a small group of willows downwind from a large willow slough, and a fence line of brush. I set up my Foxpro, and my foxtail. I started the foxtail on a slower speed, and the caller at a lower volume. In less than five minutes, a coyote came running through the slough and ran right over my caller before I realized that he wasn't going to stop, and took a running shot at about 50 feet. The coyote rolled to a stop, and I reloaded, and kept still. About five minutes later, I saw two more coyotes working down the fence line towards me. At about 270 yards they stopped and sat down to watch. They sat for about fifteen minutes, not coming any closer , so I decided to shoot one where they were. I ranged it at 267 yards and took the shot. It rolled over, so I tried to get on the third coyote, but it never stopped until it was in a location where a safe shot was not possible due to a house a half mile away. I watched it run off, then I walked over to retrieve the two coyotes. I packed everything up, and took it all back to the truck in two trips. I met the land owner in his yard, who was pleased to see that I had taken two coyotes. IO drove onto the road, and never made it a mile before seeing another coyote in the field, possibly the coyote that I didn't get a shot at earlier. I drove onto the approach, and walked into the field to see if I could get a shot. I sat down and ranged the coyote at 370 yards, and took a shot. At the shot, the coyote dropped, and I had three coyotes in less than 1-1/2 hours. The 20 tactical worked well, but the 39gr Blitzkings are not easy on the pelts.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-14-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Looks like an enjoyable outing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Great day indeed as well as nice story to go with it.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:26 PM

That third dog is a real nice pale color!
Congrats.
Cat
Old 02-14-2017, 04:28 PM

That's some good shooting.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM

Sounds like you had a good hunt. Nice shooten.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Fun, fun, fun!!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 PM

that third dog is amazing! next outing with the 20 tac try shooting just behind the shoulder not on it and see how that does on fur. i find it helps me a ton but havent had many people confirm whether im just lucky or not shooting the hard muscle in the shoulder helps.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Banned

Good shooting!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
that third dog is amazing! next outing with the 20 tac try shooting just behind the shoulder not on it and see how that does on fur. i find it helps me a ton but havent had many people confirm whether im just lucky or not shooting the hard muscle in the shoulder helps.
It was the exit on a quartering shot,and I was just trying to eliminate the coyote, the hide was secondary. I want to eliminate as many as I can as quickly as I can.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It was the exit on a quartering shot,and I was just trying to eliminate the coyote, the hide was secondary. I want to eliminate as many as I can as quickly as I can.
Fair enough. Im always trying to get a grasp on what works and what dosnt for coyote bullets so i figured id mention it. Great shooting btw!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Beauty, dirt naps for three!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Great job on those dogs.It must have been exciting watching that first one come running up to the call.Thats why i love carrying the shotgun.It is also is a good thing getting permission and having the landowner point out the areas to go.I have been finding it harder to get permission these days.Best of luck to you on all future hunts and I hope you are able to get a hundred more.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great job on those dogs.It must have been exciting watching that first one come running up to the call.Thats why i love carrying the shotgun.It is also is a good thing getting permission and having the landowner point out the areas to go.I have been finding it harder to get permission these days.Best of luck to you on all future hunts and I hope you are able to get a hundred more.
A shotgun would have been ideal for the first coyote, but I had enough to carry, and I wanted a weapon that would work from close to long range. The landowner has lost two dogs to coyotes, and the coyotes are trying to lure my dog to follow them, so my main purpose is to eliminate as many coyotes as possible in our immediate area.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Excellent work. I hope you take down many.

BW
Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Yotes

Nice!! Shooting!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 AM

Nice!
Was out all day from 9 am til dark-thirty....only made 3 stands in the am and 1 more before dark with some scope zeroing and target shooting mid day.
Had a cow n calf moose show up and pin me down 5 minutes into my first stand.
Beautiful day to be out,seen 3 moose total,13 WT,20 sum MD,and 60 elk giver take......andddddd ZERO coyotes!
BUT!!......scored permission for deer/elk next year on a huge ranch while enquiring about coyote permission,and got a hot tip from the rancher on the current preferred hangout of local wolf pack so it was a satisfyingly productive day.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 AM

Sounds like fun!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 AM
Banned

Cool !!!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 AM

Nice shootin! Beautiful coyotes especially the pale one. Good story to go with it, hope you get some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 AM

I had to finish off a job yesterday , but was really thinking the day woulda been better spent hunting yotes . I have mentioned before that they seem a bit more active after a cold snap and it warms up. Good job and good shooting..