Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Default A 500 Yard Gun

Hey Guys,

It's looking like I may be investing in a new rifle this summer. With my priority points I am hoping to pull an elk tag this fall, and I might be heading to one of the western states for an antelope hunt. I was wondering what your thoughts would be for a gun that would be proficient out to the 500 yard mark and would have enough punch for the North American Big Game species.

I've been drooling over a 7 rem mag. but my wife will probably be using this gun as well. Do you think the 7 mm would be too much recoil for her? Is there a lighter caliber that could still get the job done? Any specific makes or models that you think I should take a look at? I know there are quite a few options, but was wondering if anyone had a favorite.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Most legal hunting calibers are capable of that distance provided the shooter is able to accurately place the rounds on target at those distances. 500 Yards is starting to skirt the edge of the Kentucky elevation range so having an optic that you can match your bullets trajectory at that range would be helpful whether it is a BDC reticle, custom dials or just doing the math in your head and making the appropriate correction on your scope. The 7mm Rem mag would certainly be up to the task however its not for the recoil shy shooter.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 PM

I don't really care for the custom reticles, I find they make the scope too busy so I would likely go with a scope with some custom dials and spend the time at the range to dial it in. What do you guys think about the 308 at that range? Would you trust it to put down an elk or moose at the 500 yd mark?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM

If you are willing to spend the money, Sako, kimber, or Weatherby is a good way to go, 7mm is a great round to reach out to 500yrds, but don't limit your rifle caliber do to recoil, this can be avoided by either purchasing a heavier rifle or pads!
Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck duck goose View Post
I don't really care for the custom reticles, I find they make the scope too busy so I would likely go with a scope with some custom dials and spend the time at the range to dial it in. What do you guys think about the 308 at that range? Would you trust it to put down an elk or moose at the 500 yd mark?
i've killed animals past 500 with a 308 and never had a problem. i wouldn't think twice on an elk or moose.

the most important piece of the puzzle imo will be your scope. it will be the key to having low light long distance shots and doing it accurately. so don't cheap out.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I would go with a 308 in that situation, considering your wife. The other thing to consider is how many animals are you likely to take down at 500 yards. Not saying anything wrong with 7RM, but for me personally, I like to make sure the rifle is a comfortable fit, and comfortable to shoot and know that at 500yrds the cartridge will do just fine. Best of luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Default A 500 Yard Gun

Nothing wrong with the 308. However another caliber you might consider is the 270. It, along with the 30-06, are the go to rifle for a lot of hunters.

https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles...270-308-a.html

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you choose....
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Good points guys. I definitely like Sako products, but we mostly backpack hunt so the option to go with a heavier gun to adjust for more recoil doesn't really work.

Any other suggestions in the 30 caliber range? Anyone have any experience with a 7mm 08 that would care to chime in?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i've killed animals past 500 with a 308 and never had a problem. i wouldn't think twice on an elk or moose.

the most important piece of the puzzle imo will be your scope. it will be the key to having low light long distance shots and doing it accurately. so don't cheap out.
Over 500 yards eh? Musta been a lucky shot
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

500 is not that far 308 would be great one guy I know uses a model 88 308 with 150 partitions shot more elk past 400 then I ever will
Old 02-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Good points guys. I definitely like Sako products, but we mostly backpack hunt so the option to go with a heavier gun to adjust for more recoil doesn't really work.

Any other suggestions in the 30 caliber range? Anyone have any experience with a 7mm 08 that would care to chime in?
grab a kimber mountain ascent in what ever caliber the internet tells you is great, and practice. they are light, have a muzzle brake to tame recoil, and the three i have loaded for have more than hunting accurate.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
500 is not that far 308 would be great one guy I know uses a model 88 308 with 150 partitions shot more elk past 400 then I ever will
So, based on that, would you suggest a .308 /Win 150 partition as a great 500 yd Elk killer combo ? .. even though 500 yds isn't really that far.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Over 500 yards eh? Musta been a lucky shot
Well I went to a slower powder so some of it expands after the barrel ends giving me velocity closer to a 300 rum. I also have a downward muzzle brake and the resulting concussions bounce of the ground and hit the bullet in flight lifting it as it flies.

So maybe it's not as much luck as you think.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 PM

IMHO wind, shooting time with the calibre and accurate range are your main concern not the calibre.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well I went to a slower powder so some of it expands after the barrel ends giving me velocity closer to a 300 rum. I also have a downward muzzle brake and the resulting concussions bounce of the ground and hit the bullet in flight lifting it as it flies.

Cat
Old 02-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Guys,

It's looking like I may be investing in a new rifle this summer. With my priority points I am hoping to pull an elk tag this fall, and I might be heading to one of the western states for an antelope hunt. I was wondering what your thoughts would be for a gun that would be proficient out to the 500 yard mark and would have enough punch for the North American Big Game species.

I've been drooling over a 7 rem mag. but my wife will probably be using this gun as well. Do you think the 7 mm would be too much recoil for her? Is there a lighter caliber that could still get the job done? Any specific makes or models that you think I should take a look at? I know there are quite a few options, but was wondering if anyone had a favorite.

Thanks in advance!
I think that you should get 2 guns. One for you and one for your wife.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I like this idea. I don't like to share
All kidding aside, she gets to pick one for her that she likes and fits her and you pick one that you have always wanted. Win Win.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Yep, sounds reasonable to me. Just be careful not to step in it.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 PM

Go with some thing in the 6.5's. Its pretty much all I shoot now. Have dumped Elk, moose and lots of deer with them. The wife, the boy and soon the youngest all shoot them.

I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds in the .308, several thousand of .338 Lapua and when I have a choice always reach for a 6.5

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 AM

If recoil is a issue put on a break. Downside is the noise but allows anyone to shoot it. My 300 Win Mag shooting 215 Bergers is a dream to shoot and will kill anything out to 1000 yds. Had you not brought moose and elk into the discussion I would of said a 6.5X47 for deer sized game out to 500 yds.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
the most important piece of the puzzle imo will be your scope.
+1 and a lot of time at the range to make sure you know what ammo will perform and how it'll all work together in different conditions.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:14 AM

Make sure you choose a 26 inch barrel over a 24 inch barrel , you will be 2 inches closer to your target
Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Hahaha now your're talkin!

I'm doing some background reading on a muzzle break now. I didn't realize they helped with recoil, I thought it was more of an accuracy thing.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Last edited by JD848; 02-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

I wasn't trying to be humorous with a suggestion of 2 guns. With a single rifle, one of you will be compromising. Your wife may not enjoy a recoil tyat tou are comfortable with, a gun for her may have a shorter LOP, etc. Ladies are often not as compromising to the fit if a gun than a man is. Face it, if those shoes are not the exact shade of charteuse, the world is comimg to an end (no offence intended ladies). You likely have a different body frame than the missus (at least I hope so), her gun should produce less recoil and fit her nicely. Caliber wise, how about a 7RM for you and a 7-08 for the little lady?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be humorous with a suggestion of 2 guns. With a single rifle, one of you will be compromising. Your wife may not enjoy a recoil tyat tou are comfortable with, a gun for her may have a shorter LOP, etc. Ladies are often not as compromising to the fit if a gun than a man is. Face it, if those shoes are not the exact shade of charteuse, the world is comimg to an end (no offence intended ladies). You likely have a different body frame than the missus (at least I hope so), her gun should produce less recoil and fit her nicely. Caliber wise, how about a 7RM for you and a 7-08 for the little lady?
100 percent agree,the 7mm rem may develop some bad shooting habits if there's to much lift and she won't shoot proper with the LOP,so buy her one also,6.5x55 ,270,7mm 08 even 30 06,if the gun pounds on her you may just be hunting alone,so make her feel good about shooting then go buy your 7mm,lots good used stuff kicken around if you take your time.all the best.IF she is 5 or 6 inches taller than you and strong you have it made,shoots your gun,packs out the meat and after you party it up over your hunt she just puts you on her shoulder and packs you home,every hunters dream.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I see where you are coming from and I agree, we would be compromising with only one gun, but paying for two guns is also not an option right now so we are going to have to make that compromise. Unless someone has a smoking two-for-one deal on rifles

I will probably end up going with a lighter caliber for now and the magnum will have to wait a bit longer still.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 AM

If you are shooting that far you better be very sure about the ballistics and especially the terminal effects of whatever projectile you choose, as that's where issues come up (at or around 500 yards). Commonly accepted minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps and energy of 1000 ft lbs for elk, though this varies depending on bullet, it's a decent guideline.

7-08 will get you there, and be easy on the wallet and the wife (now if one could find a wife that was easy on the wallet...I digress). So will any of the 6.5s but ammo is hard to find, 308 as well but the 7-08 shoots flatter and I'm not sure I'd let a smaller person use something heavier than 150 gr in 30 cal, in a light rifle. My vote is 7-08, good scope and a metric crap ton of range time. Probably find your desire for the RM will diminish.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Like I said there's draw backs to brakes. But a 13 year old kid could shoot my 300 win mag. It weighs 10 lb 2 oz with a night force SHV. My 6.5 x47 is heavy. But with a 4 port brake there is virtually no recoil shooting 130 Berger. Put on a thread protector and remove for hunting if you want. Just be sure to check your zero if you do this as barrel harmonics will change with the brake removed.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 PM

i think .308 is the best all around cartridge for up to 500 yards, taking into account the recoil sensitivity of the wife, or I would just get 7mm mag.