Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 AM

Default Sitka gear

just wondering what everybody uses for SITKA gear for the early season elk (start of September) and how do you find it ? Looking to buy some
New apparel but thought I'd get some reviews first! Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM

For early season I use Open Country Ascent pant and jacket. Very light weight, no gortex or windstopper, so i pack rain gear in my pack. Stretchy material. Very comfortable. I love them.

The Open Country pattern is light in colour, greys and similar. They designed it for the rocks and open areas, But it also works very well in Poplar's.

Sitka is coming out with a pattern which is designed for early season called Subalpine, more greens. It looks good.

I love all the Sitka gear. My mid season stuff is Timberline pants and Jetstream jacket. In Alberta it doesn't take long for early season to be over. I get more use out of my mid season set up then any other.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 AM

I use the same sitka open country jacket for almost all season. Journal of mountain hunting did a comparison of a few of the bigger names in camo. The black and white photos of all the camo showed the sitka blended the best. I shot my last elk wearing blue jeans and a dark shirt, he was too busy bugling and wanting to fight to see I wasn't wearing camo. Sitka's new camo looks good too but I would rather spend extra money on bills while I take time off to hunt than buy an over priced set of camo. If the dollar was better and they had better prices I would probably buy some.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Default sitka gear

Another vote for the sitka open country ascent gear. Very comfy and suitable for the early season.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:13 AM

I'm using the Ascent pants for everything except the coldest November days, then it's wool. I use the pants and jacket for everything year round from Search And Rescue, Hunting, Hiking, to cross country skiing. Going skiing right now and I have them on!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Mountain pant, Core Zip-T, Jetstream vest, Jetstream lite jacket. If its a particularly cold morning I'll throw the Traverse Zip-T on over top of the Core Zip-T. Pretty much the perfect layering system. If there was 1 single piece of camo that I couldn't live without, it would undoubtedly be my Jetstream vest.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpappy View Post
I take time off to hunt than buy an over priced set of camo.
Totally agree.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 PM

If youre going to be spending that much on gear do yourself a favor and look at Kuiu and Firstlite, they are clothes built and developed by hunters where sitka is now owned by a huge corporation. Sitka is fine gear but there are other options. Its in the details for me, clothes that fit right and aren't just mass produced and baggy to accommodate all sizes and shapes. Baggy, cheap clothes make noise.

Brands aside, I invested in gear that keeps me in the field when the hoards of Walmart wearing hunters go home or stay in the truck.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:24 PM

Early Season

Ascent pant
Core Heavy Weight Hoody
Jetstream vest

Mid Season
Core light weight long sleeve
Core heavy weight hoody
Traverse Heavy weight hoody
UA mext to skin pants
90% pants
jetstream vest

Lates season

All of the above
Cold front jacket
Cold front pant
Old 02-11-2017, 08:12 PM

thanks for all the reply's!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Hartsky...have to say Sitka's Timberline pants are the most comfortable pants I've worn for hunting. Most of which is August sheep hunts, and September elk hunts.
Love the fit, and the stretch they have for hiking and climbing.
The reinforced butt, knees, and pant leg bottom are appreciated.
Ended up buying a pair of the green and the grey colored ones, and wear them all the time....not just hunting!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Early-Mid season I use the Ascent pants and jacket, Traverse or Merino Long Sleeves, Kelvin Lite vest if necessary, Jetstream as outer shell if needed for the wind. I also like the Jetstream for it's pockets, i'll keep my mouthcalls in the left sleeve pocket so they are always close. Timberline pants if things get windy or cold. Sitka boxers, merino beanie and sometimes merino gloves or the shooter gloves. Base layer either Sitka merino or Ice Breaker if needed.

Mornings in mid-september can be cold but things warm up by 9:00 so I like having thin layers that are compressable if I need to shed some. The Ascent pants and jacket are super quiet, breathable and lightweight. They dry easily and stretch, i'll be ordering some in solids for fishing and hiking.

Add a Jetstream jacket (and Timberline pants if you tend to be cold) and you have the first 2-3 weeks of september covered.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 PM

I have used a lot of different camp and my favourite piece and one i am always using is the sitka traverse hoody. Great for an under layer when its colder and great during september hunts when its warm out. Also it doubles as a face mask when zipped up. Something to look into.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:01 PM

I wear a lightweight merino shirt and pants under traverse hoodie and timberline pants. I pack my windstopper jacket for mornings or if it's windy. I pretty much wear this until it gets consistently below 0, then I wear heavier merino underneath.. It's expensive but it's very comfortable, more likely to spend time outside if you're comfortable vs struggling with gear. They're well thought out generally, only gripe would be I'd like more of their jackets to have hoods.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:10 AM

You spelled sitka wrong....I think it is spelled Kuiu!! lol
Old 02-15-2017, 05:14 AM

I like the traverse gloves i bought.