Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Upcoming trappers course?

I'm looking into taking a trappers course to get my trappers license, is there any courses being offered this year?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
I'm looking into taking a trappers course to get my trappers license, is there any courses being offered this year?
Course locations and dates are on the ATA website.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 PM

There is one finishing up today in debolt. They have one every month I believe. Call trapper gords in debolt for the date of the next one.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
There is one finishing up today in debolt. They have one every month I believe. Call trapper gords in debolt for the date of the next one.
They put on one of the best courses in the province.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Banned

http://www.albertatrappers.com/trapper-courses.html
Old 01-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Next course at trapper gords March 16,17,18

Last edited by moose maniac; 01-14-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

If you take the course at Trapper Gord's don't forget to thank him for making the course mandatory when you hand over the $400 to him.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If you take the course at Trapper Gord's don't forget to thank him for making the course mandatory when you hand over the $400 to him.
The majority of people have Dave, the mandatory course is a good thing, it would probably teach most people about snaring during a full moon lmfao!!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Try not to think, MM, it's not your forte. Just do and say what you are told to.

Us Professional Trappers need every edge we can get and are not happy with operating at a loss like you recreational guys.

The effects of a full moon on snaring is not covered on the Basic Trapping course, at least not at Trapper Gord's. I asked someone who recently attended the course there.

EDIT: I thought that all you yuppies promised to leave this site? We haven't missed you sweethearts.

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Try not to think, MM, it's not your forte. Just do and say what you are told to.

Us Professional Trappers need every edge we can get and are not happy with operating at a loss like you recreational guys.

The effects of a full moon on snaring is not covered on the Basic Trapping course, at least not at Trapper Gord's. I asked someone who recently attended the course there.

EDIT: I thought that all you yuppies promised to leave this site? We haven't missed you sweethearts.
Lol ok Dave... Doesn't sound like you ever got that drinking problem solved eh Dave?? Better tip a couple more back you might come up with something new.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Banned

Am I slurring my words? I haven't had much time for drinking, I've been too busy putting up fur.

Now, why don't you stop humping my leg and go stick your nose a little farther up Klassen's behind.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:05 AM

Default Upcoming trappers course?

Quote:
Am I slurring my words? I haven't had much time for drinking, I've been too busy putting up fur.

Now, why don't you stop humping my leg and go stick your nose a little farther up Klassen's behind.

Just for interest sake......have you ever packed up all your negativity and sat down with Gord, had a face to face and laid your accusations on the table ? Or you just spout off from behind your computer screen ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by blgoodbrand1; 01-15-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

Accusations? Exactly what accusations are you referring to? I will address them all in detail if you tell me what they are.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me. He got himself into a position where he could lobby for and get mandatory Basic Trapper courses legislated and now he's making a tens of thousands of dollars off of it at his privately owned trapping school. That is not an accusation, that is a FACT. Do you have a different FACT or perhaps an explanation to justify it?

As far as my negativity, what are you personally doing to ensure that people who need the income from trapping but can't afford to travel to take the course or to pay the $400 to take the course are able to take it?

Are you lobbying the ATA to lower the price of the course and/or create a program to subsidize low income individuals and kids so they are not shut out of trapping, or do you just not care because it doesn't effect you personally? I have tried and guess what, GK went absolutely ballistic on me calling me every name in the book and attacking my character. The shelves at the food banks are bare and he said that he found it mind boggling that someone couldn't afford a paltry $400 (no mention of the expenses involved). Out of touch much? Ask yourself this, why would he go ballistic about a suggestion such as mine if his primary interest is trapping in Alberta?

Wouldn't attracting and making the mandatory course, the highest costing training in ALL of Canada, accessible to individuals who would become professional, full time trappers dependent on the income from trapping be much better for trapping in Alberta, rather than yuppies who already have money and are looking for a weekend hobby? Getting yuppies off of RFMA's and ensuring that they are used is the big issue now yet shutting people out of trapping due to the course not being affordable is perfectly fine.

There has to be change to this system and I will be lobbying the ATA hard to lower the price of the now mandatory Basic Trapping course to ensure that no one is shut out due to the cost of it. Too bad if it effects GK's income! The ATA is supposed to be an advocacy, not a business with a primary interest in generating a profit. I have no problem whatsoever taking flack from anyone opposed to that because I feel that it is in the best interests of Alberta Trappers and trapping in Alberta. I've already been blackballed at the ATA for speaking out anyway so why in the hell not? In the mean time, I have no problem whatsoever letting people who don't know who was responsible for making the Basic Trapping course mandatory in the first place. Why would anyone try to hide it and take exception to anyone mentioning it?

WRT me having a one on one with GK in person......I have had enough online discussions with him to know that if he EVER said the same things to me in person as he has online, it would be a very brief encounter and it would not end very well. That is a very, very bad idea.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Thanks Dave, That answered my question.
Hope your season is going well. I'm off to check a few marten sets....

Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Just for interest sake......have you ever packed up all your negativity and sat down with Gord, had a face to face and laid your accusations on the table ? Or you just spout off from behind your computer screen ?

He had been invited to Agm's and to the yearly rendezvous... Always a no show.. And I guarantee you Gordy would tell you in person everything he has told you online Dave... Why don't you come try it and see how it works out for you??
Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 PM

I can see two sides to this.....a course heavy on RFMA and quota species content does little to pursuade the resident coyote/muskrat trapper that it is value add. Perhaps a two tier course system should be developed one for those involved in RFMAs and one for resident trapper lifers.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I can see two sides to this.....a course heavy on RFMA and quota species content does little to pursuade the resident coyote/muskrat trapper that it is value add. Perhaps a two tier course system should be developed one for those involved in RFMAs and one for resident trapper lifers.
That's not a terrible idea drake.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:58 PM

So is a Resident Trapper going need the upgrade course for 17-18 trapping year or not, does any one know?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
So is a Resident Trapper going need the upgrade course for 17-18 trapping year or not, does any one know?
I guess that you've heard the same thing that I have.

I have contacted the ATA President asking:

"Is there an initiative to make the Basic Trapping course mandatory for ALL Alberta Trappers who have never attended a Basic Trapping Course and for Alberta Trappers who have not attended it in the past 10 years?"

She provided me with a reply however something was lost in the translation because she referred to the interim agreement where the Basic Trapping course is mandatory for anyone that wants to acquire an RFMA. I explained that my question had nothing to do with RFMA's and asked for clarification on my question as I had asked it.

She is currently on holidays so I told her to enjoy and asked that she get back to me upon her return and at her convenience.....no big rush. My ATA membership renewal is pending her response.

Hopefully, her response will either quash or confirm the rumour. Either way, you can bet on me disseminating the information.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Dave, That answered my question.
Hope your season is going well. I'm off to check a few marten sets....
Thank you for being respectful and tolerant of my views.

If I put in the time and effort to research and come up with a realistic resolution that would lower the cost of the mandatory Basic Trapping course making it more affordable for people, is that something that you would support?

I hope that you have a great season as well!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I don't think that it's such a bad idea at all and is worthy of discussion.

Now with the mandatory Basic Trapping course (Interim agreement) for anyone that wants to acquire an RFMA, how hard would it be to have a lower costing (due to less time to teach) Basic Trapper course without class A furbearers for everyone who wants to become a Trapper, and a mandatory RFMA course for anyone that wants to own or Junior on an RFMA?

Without researching the pros and cons of such a system, on the surface I think that this is something that I'd support. What am I missing that this would be such a bad idea?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

I find it a sad state of affairs that many of our members were not present a dozen years back. Those that were and not of the "self serving" persuasion, have seen what happened to a united ATA, ending up to what it is now.
It is not a write off...yet but with some small locals speaking of becoming a splinter group, maybe it is not far off.
Hopefully things will rebound, now that the GAG order has been temporarily rescinded....(Gospel according to G?)
Unless all members, even those with other opinions, are allowed to speak up, it's a slippery slope and who knows when the slide will stop
Old 01-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

...people who need the income from trapping/furs, but can't afford to travel to take the course or pay the $400 to take the course, are able to take it ?
I'm one of those people... I can't afford to drive 4-6hrs one way, drop $400, then drive 4-6hrs back home for a chance at income that isn't guaranteed...

Christ, people in this province spend less to obtain multiple Safety Certificates & Courses that will actually save their lives & give them full-time work.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I find it a sad state of affairs that many of our members were not present a dozen years back. Those that were and not of the "self serving" persuasion, have seen what happened to a united ATA, ending up to what it is now.
It is not a write off...yet but with some small locals speaking of becoming a splinter group, maybe it is not far off.
Hopefully things will rebound, now that the GAG order has been temporarily rescinded....(Gospel according to G?)
Unless all members, even those with other opinions, are allowed to speak up, it's a slippery slope and who knows when the slide will stop
I think talk of splinter groups is a bad thing and somewhat premature. I SAY GIVE THE ATA A CHANCE. I noticed at the AGM at least a couple of individuals from the Executive relinquish their positions that IMO was an improvement in itself (no names, no pack drill). I thought it unfortunate to see one person that relinquished their position go. There are people in prominent positions within the ATA willing to listen and have told me personally that they would be willing to work with me so not everyone is intolerant of people's views. By "me", I really mean "us" who would like to see positive changes brought in.

At least two of us have committed to developing resolutions to make the trapping course more accessible to people so there is work going on behind the scenes. As far as I know there is no one lobbying to eliminate the Basic Trappers Course for new Trappers and only an initiative to make it more accessible for anyone that wants to become a Trapper. (Note to self.....Get over it).

For anyone who is interested in bringing forward any resolutions to the ATA on behalf of Alberta Trappers on any issue it is important to know that there is a cut off date of APRIL 30 for submissions to the ATA Executive.

If members are happy with things and the route that we are headed they need not do anything and the adults will decide what's best for them......much like they did when they lobbied for, without a vote from the membership, making the Basic Trappers course mandatory for experienced Trappers who want to purchase an RFMA. That to me serves no other purpose other than being a cash grab but that is an entirely separate matter.

As far as GK influencing anything within the ATA.....past Presidents are part of an ATA Steering Committee for a period of one year after they leave their position. I believe that time frame has passed so nothing that he says should be of higher value than any other ATA member and he should no longer be attending Board meetings. What I find more troublesome is the fact that he is now on the AEP Fur Management Team and in an even more influential position to lobby for and bring in even more mandatory trapping courses.

Doug, I don't know what time frame you are referring to when you mention a united ATA however I will agree with you that there is presently a divide. If there is an agenda to make the Basic Trapping course mandatory for all experienced Alberta Trappers I predict that the Association will implode. I hope that the members of the Executive at the ATA are listening and taking what some of the membership is saying seriously. I intend to be completely candid in my correspondence with the President and VP. If they choose to ignore what I'm bringing forward, or dismiss it as merely the views of one individual, so be it......I will have done my part. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have already been blackballed so I have no hesitation whatsoever with being the spokesperson for other Trappers and bringing forward anything of concern to them. How in the hell did it ever get to the point of people being afraid to bring issues forward?

In closing.....Last night I came to the realization that without renewing my ATA membership I have no say whatsoever regarding anything within the ATA and I would have no input or be able to submit any resolutions. I therefore renewed my membership on the ATA website over the internet.....it took all of 30 seconds. I would strongly suggest that all Alberta Trappers, despite their views on any particular issue, do the same and renew their membership. Quietly walking away or creating splinter groups as was mentioned in the quoted post does no good whatsoever. Think about it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I'm one of those people... I can't afford to drive 4-6hrs one way, drop $400, then drive 4-6hrs back home for a chance at income that isn't guaranteed...

Christ, people in this province spend less to obtain multiple Safety Certificates & Courses that will actually save their lives & give them full-time work.

John, the ATA periodically conducts Basic Trapping courses in Calgary and will lay one on if there is enough interest there. I would suggest going to the ATA website and finding the contact information for the ATA representatives for your zone (area) and contacting them. If there is enough people interested in taking the course in Calgary they will conduct one. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Dave,
Do you happen to have any info on requirements and cost for other provinces ? If not I will do some looking and see if I can dig it up.
Thanks
Brad

Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 PM

$30.00 in Saskatchewan.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskbone View Post
$30.00 in Saskatchewan.

That's what I've gathered.....is it recognized in AB and BC ?

Old 01-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dave,
Do you happen to have any info on requirements and cost for other provinces ? If not I will do some looking and see if I can dig it up.
Thanks
Brad
Brad, I'm glad that you are showing interest in this and are not afraid to ask questions about it. Good on you!

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I have which provinces have a mandatory course, which do not, the length of the courses, costs.......everything! The only provinces/territories that I could not find information on are PEI, NWT and Nunavik. I'm gonna call PEI when I get a chance as they have no website or email addy. It appears to me that Nunavik has no formal training whatsoever and new trappers are merely mentored but I may be wrong about that. If you can find anything out about those, I searched very hard and found nothing, that would be terrific!

It's really interesting stuff and I think that everyone should be aware of all of the alternative methods of training out there. Some of the methods to train new Trappers are really impressive. In QC for example, the course is mandatory but you have the choice of attending formal training provided by an instructor or self study at your own pace at home from a workbook and a set of DVD's. A virtual instructor right in your own home so to speak.

Manitoba's system is pretty cool as well. The course is not mandatory but it is 2 or 3 evenings long and the cost is......."FREE (There may be a minimal charge per student to cover expenses)". Now there is a province dedicated to attracting and training new Trappers! Absolute no reason to not take the course over self study except for expenses to attend it.

The lowest costing mandatory course that is given my the Ministry is NB. It costs $40 (ages 10 - 16) and $65 (ages 17 and over) plus $10 for the manual. Obviously the Ministry is not concerned with making much, if any, profit.

The highest costing mandatory course is good old Alberta at a whopping $399 which includes the manual and I think that they started a one year free ATA membership.

I'm going to compile all of the information in an easily to read and understand format and post it up in the near future. Right now I'm spending far too much time on the computer and work is piling up in the skinning shack. Another late night in the skinning shack is in the making.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskbone View Post
$30.00 in Saskatchewan.
Not mandatory in SK. $30 includes the manual and a one year membership in the STA. Obviously another province not interested in turning much, if any, profit.

TRAPPER EDUCATION COURSE OPTIONS

In order to acquire your Saskatchewan trappers license one must first pass the trappers education student course. This can presently be done in three ways:

Taking the one day course which is approximately seven hours long. The availability of these one day courses is based on interest and pre-registration, (see below for contact). In fall there is quite a number of these courses set up across the province.

The cost of this course is $30.00 which provides the student manual, full day instruction and a membership to the Saskatchewan Trappers Association.

A new option for 2016 is a pilot project-two day course set for Oct.15-16th, 2016 at Rockford Saskatchewan. The reasoning for this type of course is that there has been a strong demand for a more “hands on” type of trapping course and the extra day will allow for that. The venue of Rockford is tailor made for such a course. The local hall is modern and roomy and is situated just a few hundred yards east of the Assiniboine River. There is plenty of parking and a number of options for lodging. The cost of this optional course is $195.00 . It includes the student manual, Saturday’s meals, Sunday breakfast and lunch and a membership to the Saskatchewan Trappers Association.

Further details on lodging and such will be forthcoming.

The challenge exam. The Saskatchewan Trappers Association does not endorse this method of acquiring a trappers student course certificate because it allows for no instruction at all.
Talk to your local MOE personnel for further info on this option.

For pre-registration or more info see contact info for the Education Coordinator under the Contact Us section.