Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Default AB Rivers APP

I was trying to figure out how long it would take to clear up after all the rain we have been getting in southern AB, so I downloaded the AB Rivers APP trying to figure it out.

There is a lot of information in the app which is mainly flow rate but I am more interested in clarity of the water than the levels.

Does anyone know how long it would take for the rivers to clear up after so much rain, the flow rate doesn't really mean anything to me in relationship to the clarity of the water.

Any info would be appreciated, either some hands on experience or what I should actually be looking for on the app to know the rivers are actually clear enough to practice some fly fishing maybe finally land my first Bull Trout.
Thanks for the info
Old 07-20-2016, 02:16 PM

When the water level goes up the water clarity goes down. It usually takes a few days for the level to come down after the rain. Once the level is back to normal you'll be fishing in clear enough water.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
When the water level goes up the water clarity goes down. It usually takes a few days for the level to come down after the rain. Once the level is back to normal you'll be fishing in clear enough water.
Looking at the app the water level is already below the max level but it's still brown water flowing so that's not really how it works ... guess I need a more "normal" value since it went from below a min value to over a max value (for the "norm") in less than a day. (On the app)

Guess I am wondering how many days of no rain does it take for the water to clear up no matter the flow rate shown on the app. Is it always just "a few days"?

I was hoping the app would show a water clarity level but now thinking about it, it is probably too much to ask from an app. Guess I will just wait a couple more days and just go check it out myself and see?!?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:57 PM

There are too many variables. Rainfall amount, flow rate, stream bed(rock, gravel, sand etc) and so on.
I use the alberta government app and once it gets close to the lower average I'm usually good to go.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Some rivers are effected less

Ya I agree with I talk2u best method of knowing the river flows although some rivers/creeks are less effected than others even in the same area some creeks don't dirty up as much as others some, remain clear while the rest are blown out its hard to find these places but I believe the cause is beaverdams in the headwaters . Kinda like mini tailwaters haha
Old 07-22-2016, 05:13 AM

Phone a fly shop in the area

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk