Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM

Default Pieroway Rods

The other day I was talking to the owner of Pieroway rods. And apparently somewhere in my thread history I've said some discouraging things about pieroway. I just want to clear that all up I love my Pieroway rods. Geoff, the owner has customer service like I have never seen before. And personally if I have the choice to support a rod builder in my very own city I will, every time.

I have the X-series 3wt and it cats and handles fish very well. If you want to get in contact with Geoff or ask me any questions about the rods let shoot me a message and I can put you in touch.

There record straight.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutmonk View Post
The other day I was talking to the owner of Pieroway rods. And apparently somewhere in my thread history I've said some discouraging things about pieroway. I just want to clear that all up I love my Pieroway rods. Geoff, the owner has customer service like I have never seen before. And personally if I have the choice to support a rod builder in my very own city I will, every time.

I have the X-series 3wt and it cats and handles fish very well. If you want to get in contact with Geoff or ask me any questions about the rods let shoot me a message and I can put you in touch.

There record straight.
Nice but Geoff has a rod of mine that was my favorite, bought at auction, and has stopped returning my calls and I've lost my rod. So I guess there are some treated good and not so good. I've got nothing nice to say about how I've been treated. Looked to non-local rods since and have never looked back.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Jeffs a cool **** I'm sorry to here about your Rod but we don't know the hole story so can not comment on it but have you ever considered talking to him in person?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 PM

I have a Pieroway rod and I love it. Perfect 3wt for those back country lakes and little rivers in the area. Picked up a couple of boxes he was blowing out a couple months ago and had had zero issues getting in touch with him. My hats looking a little grimy though...
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
Jeffs a cool **** I'm sorry to here about your Rod but we don't know the hole story so can not comment on it but have you ever considered talking to him in person?
In July of 2014 after fishing the South Ram I closed it in the truck door...sigh. Called Pieroway the following Mon/Tue and talked to a lady. She said all their rods were warrantied and gave me the instructions to get it to them. 2 weeks later i called for an update and got her. She said she would get someone to call me. Got a call about 3 weeks later. Not sure if it was Geff but it was a male. He asked more questions like where I got it. He seemed confused about it but I told him at an auction. Everything seemed okay and he said he would get it done one way or another (or something like this) shortly. 6 weeks later I call and leave a message. 3 months later I call and leave a message. Time passes into 2015 spring time and I call and leave a message. Zero calls back. Other than driving down and finding them. What recourse do I have? Great service huh???? It was my favorite rod and had pearl inlay in the handle. Now you have my side of the story.

P.S. I just assumed maybe they went out of business due to bad service...
I guess I could resurrect this and see if there is any response.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:40 PM

snapfisher. call me directly at 587-436-4363. i think you might be the guy ive been desperately looking for. it would make my day to get this rod back to its rightful owner. its my only unclaimed rod. this rod was made by brenda markham, a local maker that made it from a blank. she put her name on the rod so i bet this is the person that you were calling. she doesnt work for pieroway rod company but is a great friend and hell of a builder. so you were calling the wrong place, thats all. now i see why i was confused as well. i am never on alberta outdoorsman so i wouldnt have seen this until a friend of mine showed me this post today. i have your rod and its been fixed for years waiting for you to show up one day. most excellent.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:03 PM

That would be extremely cool!! Thanks to the AO member and others for helping out. I'll call tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM

An update for all. I did finally get my fly rod back. I called Geof the next and left a message. A week and half later I try again as there was no response. Got him in person. We chatted and I said I would be in the next day. Drove down to their shop after work...traffic was nuts but made it around 4:40 p.m. Shop was locked up tight. Called Geof's number..full mailbox. Call the general web site number and leave a message. Go online to the web site and leave a contact us message. I.e. I tried all I could to get it. Left pretty ****ed off...
I do get an email back saying he would be there all the next day. I set it up for 2 days later and show up mid day on a Friday. Made sure and messaged him several times that I was coming for sure...felt like I was bothering him...
Got there and went straight to the back. He was there and took me to my rod in the front. He did some additional painting on it. The thing looks amazing.
He said to me that it was a lot easier to get a hold of the owner when you leave a name and address...not wanting to get into an argument, I accepted that for what's its worth even though it is total BS. Afterall, I mailed the rod from Edmonton and had to include return name and address. I also spoke to 2 separate people on the phone once they had the rod...2 years ago. So what happened to my contact info?

So, on a very positive note, he is as good as his word. He put in extra work and made it look amazing. The quality of the rod is exceptional. He charged me nothing...zero dollars.

On the not so positive...well..I think I said enough above. Love the rod, will never buy another Pieroway. I break a lot of rods and this was way too much to go through to get it. I don't have that kind of time and patience so for me, it's continue with Reddington and Sage. Flawless and quick returns, no hassles. If you do like local product and owners, Pieroway is just fine. Just not my bag.