Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default Animal Trap ownership

This one should generate a bit of discussion, I keep hearing that UNLESS you are the possessor of a trappers license , You may not own an animal trap !
I say this is false!
A F&W officer recently told a second hand shop owner , that he was in illegal possession of an animal trap IE: a rat trap ! and may not sell it.
I have also heard in the past owning a Bear trap was illegal ! I again say hogwash .Foot holds for Bear are in fact illegal to be set.NOT own .
A person may NOT cause a trap to be set out of season with out the proper permit , But being in possession of a trap on your property in my opinion is NOT illegal . The Canadian border agency has been known to confiscate animal traps at times ,Bear traps, Purporting them to be illegal in Canada! This opinion varies depending on who is on duty , But in actual fact this is erroneous.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 AM
Banned

If the F&W Officer was from Rocky I can guess which one..LOL.. and as usual out to lunch. That's ridiculous!!

I agree with you there is no law to that effect that I can find anyway. How about someone that collects. Look at your collection, probably one of the most extensive in Canada if not further. Lots of those traps you can't use anymore but are antique and unique. Owning them as far as I know carries no formal licencing obligation. As far as selling them I know of no restrictions there either.

CBS sometimes are in their own little World. If a trap was confiscated I would think with an appeal and some backup documentation they would have to release it.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:18 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
This one should generate a bit of discussion, I keep hearing that UNLESS you are the possessor of a trappers license , You may not own an animal trap !
I say this is false!
A F&W officer recently told a second hand shop owner , that he was in illegal possession of an animal trap IE: a rat trap ! and may not sell it.
Wow, sounds like the officer belongs in Saskatchewan

(And some folks wonder why we often are frustrated with these officers. This is an act of stupidity)

(and nothing happens to a guy in authority who is being stupid... if only this was China)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3rVSQ3a18

Last edited by Marty S; 05-29-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Banned

I e mailed the Canadian Trapper Association in Ottawa , and asked them to clarify this question as it appears a few in positions of authority are pushing this . BUT what makes it worst is B.C or some groups in B.C are attempting to make it illegal to own traps period.
A directive should be sent to all F&W across the country including the Canadian Border security to straighten this BS out.
It s a bit like if you are a male you have a penis so that makes you a rapist!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Anybody can buy traps and anybody can own them.
Somebody needs a wake up call!
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 11:40 AM

I thought it was true that you had to have a trappers license to purchase traps in Ontario?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I thought it was true that you had to have a trappers license to purchase traps in Ontario?
Well, we are not in Ontario, and if in fact that is a law there , I would imagine that there are a pile of traps being illegally possessed!
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 11:54 AM

"Anybody" only includes Alberta? My train of thought was that this officer may have come from that province and has not bothered to learn the laws here.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM

It might be wise to make some of the questionable 'dangerous' traps inoperable like you would if you owned an antique 50 cal. machine gun.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Where would that plan stop? If it would serve right for traps then why not regular guns? The use of foothold traps over 9 inches is illegal every where but Maine USA.
The ownership of ANY foothold or otherwise animal trap is still legal INCLUDING animal trap guns which are still legal to own BUT illegal to use for obvious reasons.
Animal trap set guns are not regulated or considered firearms UNLESS they can be fired with the action of one hand , They fall under the same section as powder actuated tools or devices UNLESS they can also be used as a handgun which some are , THEN they are considered restricted. and need a permit.
So any animal trap gun can be manipulated and fired by hand BUT I can also enter and exit my house every day through the window, BUT that is a bit simple!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
That's true TFNG, at least it was when I was a young man. Ironically you also can't transport traps for a trapper friend there unless you have a license as well.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Banned

This story does not surprise me in the least. Plenty of examples of regs that are open to different interpretations.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 AM

In Alberta you can trap beaver on private land without a trappers licence so Of course you don't need a licence to own traps. Total bs
Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Banned

Certain individuals and I recognize them from other forums, just cannot help themselves from stirring the pot...Sometimes, just let the lion sleep. There are those who "monitor" our forums to see if there is anything of interest that they can use to justify their wages.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Banned

I am still waiting on an answer from down east on this one !I believe that the assumption of illegality is erroneous.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 PM

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/980667

#27. Shall not possess a body grip trap if not authorized to use it. There are also other reasons to be allowed to have them.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 AM

Why worry about what's going on in Ontario....it confuses the issue with what's legal here in Alberta. Anyone can posess traps and for certain species you do not need a trappers license to catch those species on private lands as an owner or a person with permission.

LC
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Banned

Fellows , THAT right there EXPLAINS how this post began to start with! IF a F&W officer could originally be from Ontario , THEN I can see why this would have been told to the antique dealer etc.
Apparently a F&W officer may have been under the impression that this law applies here as well !
End of story! The post was NEVER meant to confuse or start ANY problems as far as I was concerned.
No harm intended, No harm done , mystery SOLVED!!
Thanks TFNG !
Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Fellows , THAT right there EXPLAINS how this post began to start with! IF a F&W officer could originally be from Ontario , THEN I can see why this would have been told to the antique dealer etc.
Apparently a F&W officer may have been under the impression that this law applies here as well !
End of story! The post was NEVER meant to confuse or start ANY problems as far as I was concerned.
No harm intended, No harm done , mystery SOLVED!!
Thanks TFNG !
A lot of the "eastern" understandings get carried here and cause issues . One most notably the issue with unposted land being good to go. Certain provinces have areas where if the land has no signs, permission is implied. Which as we all know does NOT apply here in Alberta. Infortunately folks are lazy, both the LEO and hunters/trappers/outdoormen. Many read or interpret certain things to fit "their agenda" without really knowing or understanding the true meaning or intent.

We see it here all the time

LC
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A lot of the "eastern" understandings get carried here and cause issues . One most notably the issue with unposted land being good to go. Certain provinces have areas where if the land has no signs, permission is implied. Which as we all know does NOT apply here in Alberta. Infortunately folks are lazy, both the LEO and hunters/trappers/outdoormen. Many read or interpret certain things to fit "their agenda" without really knowing or understanding the true meaning or intent.

We see it here all the time

LC
Don't forget the infamous If land is posted "no hunting" no one can hunt on it, even the land owner
Cat
Old 07-18-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Don't forget the infamous If land is posted "no hunting" no one can hunt on it, even the land owner
Cat
Yup another "keeper"

LC
Old 07-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Banned

I guess we could safely say we have put that one to bed ! lol