Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Lake Newell opening weekend fishing party

I've been tossing around the idea of a fishing get-together at my new place on Lake Newell, hoping to get a bunch of people with kayaks, canoes, float tubes, etc. Newell opens May 8th so I'm thinking the 13th-15th would be prime shallow water pike fishing. I have lots of room at my place for people to crash so they can avoid hotels and it's a 2 minute walk to the water or a 1 minute drive to the boat launch.

I bought a fishing kayak last year but have only gone out by myself so I'd like to meet some like minded people with other human powered watercraft. Electric trolling motors are fine but I'd prefer not to mix in motorboats on this trip, nothing like an old 2 stroke outboard to break the calmness that is kayak fishing. Other than that pretty well anything goes in my opinion. I have a fair bit of room to park and it's early enough that carpooling could likely be arranged if necessary. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas except changing the date, that's my weekend off work and right after opening should be awesome pike/walleye fishing.

I'm picturing 10+ people in their own rigs fishing most of the weekend, BBQing some great food, get the smoker going, a fire down by the water in the evenings and just have a great time in general. Post up here if you're interested and/or have any suggestions to make it even better. If this goes well maybe we could even make it a yearly thing.

Linked to this thread in the fly fishing section too as I'm really hoping to catch my first pike on the fly rod that weekend, any style of fishing is welcome.