Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 PM

Default wire worms for trout

For the first time today,I tried wire worms on trout.I can not believe how well they worked.The worms were not baited, popular colors were brown and yellow , white and red.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:16 PM

Hmmmmm. I need to give these a shot! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 PM

Hi
Thanks for the info. Curious about the kind of wire worm.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Chironomids are a popular food source for trout and one of the few that are available year round. Wire worms very similar to chironomids, small and narrow profile, both fairly easy to tie yourself.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks Bobalong. I will try it in my lake and update.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Bob's right, they were invented by an 18 yr old named Roger Sabourin(u can look up story by Reg Denny in an older Alberta Fishing Guide magazine) to imitate midges at Wabamun, great imitation, easy to tie, sadly Roger died in a motorcycle accident not long after wire worms became popular, if you want them to appear even more realistic, wind some ostrich her into the head end wraps, but they work fine without as well, trick to fishing them is to make sure they ride horizontal, just play with the placement of the already tied knot, before you put it down hole make sure it rides horizontal as it hangs below your hand on the line, if you see fish that come by but don't commit slowly bring the hook up or down, the midges rise and drop in the water column all day long so its natural for the fish to see this
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
Bob's right, they were invented by an 18 yr old named Roger Sabourin(u can look up story by Reg Denny in an older Alberta Fishing Guide magazine) to imitate midges at Wabamun, great imitation, easy to tie, sadly Roger died in a motorcycle accident not long after wire worms became popular, if you want them to appear even more realistic, wind some ostrich her into the head end wraps, but they work fine without as well, trick to fishing them is to make sure they ride horizontal, just play with the placement of the already tied knot, before you put it down hole make sure it rides horizontal as it hangs below your hand on the line, if you see fish that come by but don't commit slowly bring the hook up or down, the midges rise and drop in the water column all day long so its natural for the fish to see this
Thanks for the detailed information mikebossy.