Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Default Scale for weighing brass?

So I have a beam scale to weigh charges.
It's a pain to weigh brass.
Looking for something cost effective to weigh brass.
I will most likely weigh powder too.
Just looking for recommendations.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Why do you need to weigh brass?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 PM

I should have elaborated a bit. I'm new to reloading, and just curious how weighing brass would affect your results.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
So I have a beam scale to weigh charges.
It's a pain to weigh brass.
Looking for something cost effective to weigh brass.
I will most likely weigh powder too.
Just looking for recommendations.
Weighing brass to check for capacity uniformity is not really addressing capacity. If you want uniform brass and it happens to be in a cartridge that Lapua makes spend the money. Weighing brass doesn't take into account variation in extractor grooves and case length. I check my volumes with tiny stainless balls (tumbling media). Fill them to base of neck. Then check for neck thickness run out. If necks show run out the full length of the case will have run out and that case will curl towards the thick side when fired.

I use an electronic scale for all my loading. I use a beam scale to keep the electronic scale honest.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 PM

All my brass is Federal Premium.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Unfortunately.
There is no 7 Rem mag bass made by Lapua.

Last edited by Chris89lx; 06-23-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 AM

Default Scale for Weighing brass?

Why Federal? Their loaded ammo shoots great but soft brass and primer pocket issues keep me away. I rarely shoot factory ammo.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 AM

I have Federal brass. I guess that's why.
Haven't played a lot but never had issues.
I'm just looking for a digital scale.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Electonic scales for weighing brass and the like can be had for as little as $20. I have one that weighs to .1 grain, was $20, one the weighs to .02 grains was $28. You can spend a LOT more for an electronic scale but for weighing brass, bullets etc, these are fast, lots accurate and have been using them for over 5 years with no issues. I also use the .02 one to check powder loads.

I bought one of each for my buddy at the same time and he has had no problems with his either.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital...solution-10515

http://www.canadianweigh.com/scales/list/jennings

Last edited by Dean2; 06-23-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM

Well I just finished reloading about 120 rounds of 2x fired Federal brass.

None of the brass was more than 2 grains variance.

No issues with any of the cases.
Most was load development during the second firing from once factory ammo. I didn't see any pressure signs with any of it.
Picked a 68.8 grain load to be most acurate (69.5 of H1000 was max with Berger 168's, .010" off the lands) Seeing an average of 2950fps across the chrono. .75" groups.

Should I look an anealing the brass soon?
Because I only have about 120 pieces of brass, should I look for some Norma.
An even better option I guess would be to find some Federel brass.
Can it be purchased new?