Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Releases

Well I don't think we've had a thread on releases yet.

I'm just using the cheapest release they had at crappy tire right now. I find it very uncomfortable and at its shortest setting, I still have to stretch my index finger uncomfortably far to pull the trigger.

What is everyone using? There are lots of options out there which look pretty similar to each other, but hugely different in price. What should you look for?

Does anyone use the target style releases or free flight releases for hunting? These appeal a little more to me just because of the similarity to a gun trigger.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM

i think i shoot a mamba or something along those lines, works pretty well should have gone with a release with the bar instead of the strap
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

I was a wrist strap trigger finger release user for many years....

Long story but I started punching it bad... I got it under control fo the most part but finally switched 2 years ago to a handheld.

I use the handheld for hunting and in a recent seminar i finally learned how to use a release properly and I am shooting better than I ever have!...

With what I learned i know I could shoot any release well with practice but the problem with the wrist strap for me is 9 years of ingrained bad habit is had to undo!....

You pay for quality!... the release may look the same but the internals are different. the tolerances are finer which lead to a cleaner break.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Releases

I just started bow huning last season. After trying a few various types I went with the Primos .44 Caliber with buckle strap. Works great for me.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Winn Free Flight.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Scott releases for me.....they plain out work and are the most comfortable for me....I have a Sabertooth right now....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:46 PM

I've tried several different releases over the years, but once I switched to Scott (Little Goose) I will never go back. Very comfortable with a hair trigger - no punching.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Default trigger style

I am using a 3-d Fletcher. I think that is what it's called. I have had it for about 5 years now. I love it. The great thing for me is that it is a strap not an inflexible rod or arm. I find it more comfortable and it hangs out of the way if I need my hands free for something. It is super sensitive though and took me some getting used to. I can't touch the trigger until I am on target.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM

Hi Sal!

I too use a Scott and love it. What I do once I put it on before heading into the bush/stand, is to take 3-4 practice draws with it once it is on. That way it is perfectly positioned for me once the time comes to draw for real. Field stuff is way different from range stuff. Good luck!

Tree
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Ive also been using the primos 44 caliper. Been using it for 2 years now, works pretty good, and is still going strong. Prob better out there though.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM

Scott, Carter, TRU-Ball etc. they're all good when used right. I own 2 Scott mongooses, a Carter Evolution, TRU Ball Chappy Boss, TRU Ball Sweet Spot, TRU Ball Pro Diamond Hunter & a TRU-Ball Short-n-Sweet I. I went to the same seminar that Nekred went to and we've taken slightly different paths. I've returned to caliper style releases as my primary and t handles as my secondary. In fact the TRU Pro Diamond Hunter is my favorite WINTER release, I can wear those kangaroo mitts and still shoot it comfortably. In the summer though, I still use a caliper of some sort. I've found I like a good heavy trigger to shoot successfully. Heavy triggers allow me to be aggressive and I don't have to fear an accidental release when I put the 2nd joint of my index finger on the trigger of the release.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Check out Fletcher and Carter. I've got a Fletcher Flathead and a Carter Quickie 2 that I'm liking now. I've had Truball and Cobra releases as well. All index finger releases....
Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM

also for the people who don't know that when you purchase a release look for one with the trigger as close as possible to the string so you won't lose out on draw length which in turn relates to speed.. up to 10fps loss in an inch isn't it..
Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 PM

also you may consider that when you purchase a release look for one with the trigger as close as possible to the string so you won't lose out on draw length which in turn relates to speed.. up to 10fps loss in an inch isn't it.. 30" is faster than 29 at 70#.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 AM

The release style just adjusts hand position on face.

Drawlength should be to corner of mouth in line with eye.

80% of people I see are shooting too long of a draw length and as a result have a hard time holding steady as they could be.

Watch when the get tired.... they start leaning back from the hips and the start spraying arrows after 5 or 6 ends.....

Just for giggles here is my best target. 300 outer 290 inner. This was after a bunch of practice focusing on release activation, and draw length setup.

I was 1.5" too long... and punched my release before this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300.jpg (60.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Nekred is correct! Shocking I know The position of the string in relation to your face shouldn't change. The accepted "ideal" is the crotch of the string should be in line with the corner of the lip at full draw. More accurately it should be directly above the belt buckle (body centre line). Adjusting release length should only impact hand position on the face and to some degree release arm postion.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Whatever release (index finger release) I use.................these things are constant:

the drawn string touches the centre of the nose; and

the knuckle of my index finger is behind my jaw in the hollow directly underneath my ear.

The type/brand of release I use will not change this......I will adjust the release to achieve these two reference points versus changing my anchor points.

I don't use a peep or a kisser. I find that these two references are all I require. In the winter it becomes more challenging with gloves and head gear.......I've learned from this by using light/tight gloves and leaving the area below my ear/neck clear.

Not textbook but this is what works very well for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Sounds textbook to me!...