Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

View Poll Results: Crossbows during archery season: Yes or No?
YES 81 57.04%
NO 61 42.96%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Default Crossbow VOTE

After seeing Jamies "did you vote" thread, i would like to see what the majority of us say on the issue of hunting with cross bows in the archery season. No more opinions on right or wrong, just the numbers.
lets see what happens...

Last edited by tallguy; 03-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM

tell you friends! the polls are open!

Last edited by tallguy; 03-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Not sure the point of this. The x-bow guys will all say yes, most of the bow guys will say no, and guys like me who have no skin in the game on either will probably say yes, though most will be uninformed. Guess it's another chance to renew hostilities
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM

acctually its to put the hostilities to bed!
k, seriously, no more posts...JUST VOTE!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM

52 veiws and only 21 votes hey...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Ill put a vote in if you tell us all whats the point of this? Are you really the head of fish and wildlife and basing your desision on opening crossbows to bow season for 2008??
Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM

im hoping insdead of having everyone give their opinion on it, maybee we can get a CONSTUCTIVE answer to this question.
this obviously is not an official poll, but if alot of people vote in favor- a petition will be organized to be sent to the powers that be.
numbers matter - opinions dont.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM

How many other provinces right now allow crossbows durring bow season?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM

does it matter?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 PM

i think it would help with your cause. Have you looked into why they dont allow it now? And this is kind of an unfair poll. There are way more rifle hunters then bow only hunters out there. What rifle hunter isnt going to say yes. Just think of all the hunting they could do with only 10 or 15 mins of practice with a cross bow. You would never have to apply for draw hunting again!!! I think your wating your time but to each their own. And good luck!

Last edited by Smoke-eater; 03-05-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM

To each their own...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM

Smile x bow poll

If the cross bow poll shows that they are in favor, of have them during archery season, will we be able to get longer archery season and push the rifle hunter to shorter seasons. Numbers talk so if we get high numbers for archery season with cross bows included, we should be able to get longer archery seasons? Watch for those double edge swords.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 PM

PM me my vote can be bought
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbb View Post
If the cross bow poll shows that they are in favor, of have them during archery season, will we be able to get longer archery season and push the rifle hunter to shorter seasons. Numbers talk so if we get high numbers for archery season with cross bows included, we should be able to get longer archery seasons? Watch for those double edge swords.
Why would you need a longer season? Not that I wouldnt appreciate it.
But a tag is a tag. Once you close it, you cant open it again. There is no need to take up additional time from any group. Just put the X-Bow where it belongs.

Jamie
Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Wink cross bow

Jamie you hit the nail on the head. You said it and cross bows are put in the season they belong to . Rifle season. Thanks for clear up your stance on were cross bow should be.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Let's see... an ethical shot with a crossbow would be around 50-yards, tops. With a rifle, 200-yards plus.

Rifle season? Many would beg to differ.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Im from Ontario,, crossbows are allowed here during archery season. Id say there is a 60-40 split between compound bow and crossbow users. I havent seen anyone there complain about people using one or the other during archery season.. Honestly,, if someone buys a compound bow and has it set-up properly,, you can be just as accurate in the so called 15 minutes of practice time! And I disagree with the 50 yard ethical shot with a crossbow,, its within yards of what a compound bows ethical range is. A bolt slows down a whole lot faster than a regular arrow does and penetration is much less. It all boils down too... with archery equipment you have too get within 35 yards without being noticed too kill an animal,, be it compound bow or crossbow!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Wink x bows

Again another person who is correct. An ethical shot with a cross bow fifty yards, but wait - you just stood there for five minutes with your cross bow loaded ready to shoot. I stood there with my bow waiting for a shot. The animal shows up i have to draw, it see's me lift my arm, draw my bow and runs. While with a cross bow or rifle, click off the safety, aim ethically of course, and shoot. Do you see the difference, if not, this season don't load your gun or cross bow untill the animal is under 30 yards . Thanks and good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

So LJ

What you are saying is that Bows are unethical. and that perhaps we should use the most effective and humane weapon we can. God forbid that someone would rush a shot with a regular bow as you have clearly stated could happen.
WHEW thanks for straighten this out. Where can I send your subscription of the Cross Bows annual?

Jamie
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

ljbb, the crossbow is a heavy cumbersome weapon. You make it sound like it is at one's shoulder waiting for the arrow to be released. Fact of the matter is, it has to be raised - just as a bow does - and only then can the arrow be released. Sounds pretty similar to me.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM

If a crossbow is to be used during bow season, all zones and species that currently require a draw for a rifle should then require a draw during the bow season.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Why?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM

see what you started tallguy....
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Default x bows

Well seems to me that i may have struck a nerve with a couple of you. Thanks again. I do share the same passion for hunting as you two, and hope that your cross bow are still used during rifle season. So get your guys togetther form your self and assocation and do the work the same as the aba has done for the past history. Dont just jump in and tell people that you want anew weapon in seasons that they have fought tooth and nail for. Join the aba convience them and other hunters why crossbows should be allowed. Rob go out get your cross bow cock it lean it against atree out side for three minutes set it down. Walk back in your house pick up you compound or recurve pull it back hold it steady for three minutes. Then tell me which one would of been easier to shoot. Jamie where in alberta can you send for your crossbow annual, no where but i can get you a alberta bowhunter assocation memebership. Thanks both of you for making clear that i will keep shooting a compound , because i still do enjoy the challenge.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

I could get into this discussion with you ljbb but it has been discussed over and over in a previous thread stickied on this forum. I own a crossbow and have hunted with a bow as well. Neither get me real excited, I prefer things that go bang!

Hunting with a crossbow is a pain in the butt. Try walking through the bush with a big, heavy "Tee" over your shoulder or in front of you body, and make damn sure there isn't a branch in your way when you release your arrow - it's a good way to get a broken jaw. I just believe that the proper tool should be used during the proper season. Not sure why a crossbow guy that needs to get within the same distance as a bow guy shouldn't be allowed the same opportunities. Hunting with a crossbow is a definite challenge.

And I do support the ABA in as many ways as I can. Heck of a good organization doing good work in Alberta.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
And I do support the ABA in as many ways as I can. Heck of a good organization doing good work in Alberta.
And the ABA's position on crossbow hunting is what?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Why?
Because in at least some zones down south, the bow harvest IMO and in the opinion of others is already excessive. This would put more guys in the field during that season. And yes I've hunted and killed with a bow quite a bit.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys, its nice to see passion, both for and against this.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-bound View Post
Im from Ontario,, crossbows are allowed here during archery season. Id say there is a 60-40 split between compound bow and crossbow users. I havent seen anyone there complain about people using one or the other during archery season.. Honestly,, if someone buys a compound bow and has it set-up properly,, you can be just as accurate in the so called 15 minutes of practice time! And I disagree with the 50 yard ethical shot with a crossbow,, its within yards of what a compound bows ethical range is. A bolt slows down a whole lot faster than a regular arrow does and penetration is much less. It all boils down too... with archery equipment you have too get within 35 yards without being noticed too kill an animal,, be it compound bow or crossbow!

well said AB. well said...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
ljbb, the crossbow is a heavy cumbersome weapon. You make it sound like it is at one's shoulder waiting for the arrow to be released. Fact of the matter is, it has to be raised - just as a bow does - and only then can the arrow be released. Sounds pretty similar to me.

My thoughts exactl Rob, thanks for the support.
Closed Thread