Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Default Any compressor experts out there??

I have an old school compressor probly 20 gallon or so.pressures up fine then when I go to use an air tool I get full power for a second An then it dies off to a very low pressure.. cannot figure this thing out..tank is still full capacity.its like it's restricted or something??need help I'm getting frustrated!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 PM

check your regulator. Might just have to turn it clockwise to increase pressure to the tool. No expert but sounds like a regulator.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Could be the diaphragm in the regulator has a small hole it or if there is a filter in the system that could be plugged and reducing airflow.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 PM

Try hooking up a tool directly to the outlet of the compressor if you have room. If it works fine you've either got a bad hose or coupler on the end.

Also, try a couple of different tools, eliminate that possibility.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Don't think it's the compressor

You say the tool gives a good burst initially but dies in a second or 2...almost like the air hose has been depressured and is refilling slowly. I'd check or swap out the coupler on the tank end of the hose. The second thing I'd check is the regulator. If the tank is filling normally the compressor is probably fine.

Make sure the male & female ends of the couplers are compatible. Even if they fit into each other, if the male fitting isn't long enough it won't fully open the female receptacle (applies to other things in life also)

Good Luck
Zeke
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Gone Hunting

A blocked hose will do that.

if the ID is the right size Leaf Cutter bees will plug it up good. Or any number of other things could plug the hose.
For one, on an old hose the liner can separate from the outer shell and cause a blockage.

What I'd do is first check the regulator. If it checks out I'd try a different hose, then a different tool.

Any of the three can cause this sort of symptom.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
A blocked hose will do that.

if the ID is the right size Leaf Cutter bees will plug it up good. Or any number of other things could plug the hose.
For one, on an old hose the liner can separate from the outer shell and cause a blockage.

What I'd do is first check the regulator. If it checks out I'd try a different hose, then a different tool.

Any of the three can cause this sort of symptom.
Thats it, always start with the simple, hose interior might be letting go, under pressure it has initial pressure, interior piece is then pressured up blocking the airflow...fitting end, hose, connection to tank...seen the problem, buddy switched out the hose...good to go.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Any of these could be the problem. Fitting, hose, regulator. Plugged. Start with the easiest and cheapest part first.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM

I'll agree with what Keg says, but add one thing. If you are using the hose outdoors you may also want to check for an ice blockage somewhere. It's a constant problem in my line of work (framing)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks guys.pulled the valve off the outlet of the tanks An changed it out.fittings off of that were fulla rust an crap so I cleaned those out.hooked a new hose An regular hand held air nozzle and it still Does the same thing..I'll pull the valve off again tonight An check the threadolete outlet fitting on the tank..could the connect coupler off the valve be to small??its a tiny hole through it..just makes no sense to me...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM

Also I've eliminated the regulator just to trouble shoot this issue so I'm now basically running the hose directly off the outlet of the tank.and still same issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
Also I've eliminated the regulator just to trouble shoot this issue so I'm now basically running the hose directly off the outlet of the tank.and still same issue.

Is the compressor outside? Maybe have frozen some moisture and have an ice blockage at the outlet if a small piece made its way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 AM

is there possibly ice in the line??

Moisture getting in from compression could be causing water in the line somewhere...and if cold...recipe for ice!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 AM

I had a 30 gal. tank on mine. Right on the motor it said not good for air tools.
Just for the heck of it, I tried an orbital sander on some old balsam and DAM they were right. Worked just as you describe.
Check the horse power of the output.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM

Do you have a picture of the set-up? Might help explain something we're not seeing...
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I had a 30 gal. tank on mine. Right on the motor it said not good for air tools.
Just for the heck of it, I tried an orbital sander on some old balsam and DAM they were right. Worked just as you describe.
Check the horse power of the output.
I would agree with you on output, but the impression I get is that it's not even depleting the tank very much before restricting the pressure output.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

I don't know how to post pic on here🙄..I've tryed An got frustrated.they guys that had my place before built cars,painted cars an all that crap so I think Air tools work on it.im just wondering if the quick connect hose fittings are restricting flow..I dunno.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 AM

This might help.
Depending on the type of compressor there could be a little petcock valve on the bottom of the air tank for releasing any water or condensation in the tank. If there is a volume of water in the compressor it takes away from the air capacity of the tank. If the compressor motor is kicking in lots unplug the compressor and blow down the air tank with the petcock valve. This would bring back full air pressure to the air tank.

If you have never drained the tank before, and if there is a petcock valve, there could be an amount of water.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
This might help.
Depending on the type of compressor there could be a little petcock valve on the bottom of the air tank for releasing any water or condensation in the tank. If there is a volume of water in the compressor it takes away from the air capacity of the tank. If the compressor motor is kicking in lots unplug the compressor and blow down the air tank with the petcock valve. This would bring back full air pressure to the air tank.

If you have never drained the tank before, and if there is a petcock valve, there could be an amount of water.
Ya I drained it,when I gave up tryin to fix it multiple times I'd open that valve to let the pressure off when not in use.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Thanks guys.pulled the valve off the outlet of the tanks An changed it out.fittings off of that were fulla rust an crap so I cleaned those out.hooked a new hose An regular hand held air nozzle and it still Does the same thing..I'll pull the valve off again tonight An check the threadolete outlet fitting on the tank..could the connect coupler off the valve be to small??its a tiny hole through it..just makes no sense to me...
Tanks ? Is that one of those contractors compressors with a wheel between two tanks at one end and handles at the other end?

If so those tanks are pretty small diameter and lay on their sides 24/7/365.

That can lead to a lot of moisture laying in the fittings and creating a lot of rust.

You may have to drain all the air out of the tanks and remove the largest fitting going into the tank so you can shake out as much rust as possible.

Do not use a rust remover inside the tank. You can never get it all out and it will eventually eat a hole in you tank.

Best is to gently tap on the tank with a light hammer and shake out whatever comes loose. Then squirt in some oil to stablolze any remaining rust and prevent new rust form forming.

Then clean or replace all of the fittings that you can. Reasemble and then try it again.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Tanks ? Is that one of those contractors compressors with a wheel between two tanks at one end and handles at the other end?

If so those tanks are pretty small diameter and lay on their sides 24/7/365.

That can lead to a lot of moisture laying in the fittings and creating a lot of rust.

You may have to drain all the air out of the tanks and remove the largest fitting going into the tank so you can shake out as much rust as possible.

Do not use a rust remover inside the tank. You can never get it all out and it will eventually eat a hole in you tank.

Best is to gently tap on the tank with a light hammer and shake out whatever comes loose. Then squirt in some oil to stablolze any remaining rust and prevent new rust form forming.

Then clean or replace all of the fittings that you can. Reasemble and then try it again.
Crap.sorry no one tank.i will see if I can look in there tonight.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Crap.sorry no one tank.i will see if I can look in there tonight.
At least that a plus. Those little horizontal tanks can be a pain if they get gummed up.

Good chance a good cleaning of the fittings into the tank will do the trick.
But worse case scenario is the whole delivery system could be full of rust and flakes of corroded metal.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I would agree with you on output, but the impression I get is that it's not even depleting the tank very much before restricting the pressure output.
That same thing was happening with mine. I'm fairly sure it was that I didn't have the horse power to keep the tank completely full. It was a
Campbell Hausfeld, I can't remember what the horse power was though.
It seemed to use up some of the air in the tank but not enough to cause the motor to cycle in and keep up the pressure.