Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Moving to Airdrie

So we are moving to Airdrie and was wondering if anyone with first hand knowledge of the area could advise good areas or areas to avoid.

- 2 adults
- 2 medium sized dogs
- back yard for the mutts
- Townhouse/duplex style
- minimum single garage
- no toys, sold all.

We currently have the above but in Edmonton so trying to stay about the same size.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM

I've lived in Airdrie for 10+ years...
Are you loooking to rent or buy?
I would avoid the Williamstown area if you're looking to buy a place, and just for traffic reasons, I would avoid the east side of QEII entirely.
It's a great little city for families with kids and dogs. Lots of paths and ponds etc for dog walking.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I've lived in Airdrie for 10+ years...
Are you loooking to rent or buy?
I would avoid the Williamstown area if you're looking to buy a place, and just for traffic reasons, I would avoid the east side of QEII entirely.
It's a great little city for families with kids and dogs. Lots of paths and ponds etc for dog walking.
Traffic? In Airdrie?

I live in Williamstown and it is pretty decent IMO. Parts of it are right next to a major roadway though so that could be noisy depending on location within the community.

One thing to be aware of is the train tracks running through town. I sometimes can faintly hear the train at night in Williamstown. I'm sure it is quite noisy in some communities that are closer.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM
AO Sponsor

As an Airdronian, we will all have opinions on where is good and where is the hood, but in all reality, the worst parts Airdrie are way better than most of the places in big cities anywhere.

It depends if you want new build or older character or in the middle etc. I am into older character more and working on my home making it what I like rather than buying a new cookie cutter house. I live in Summerhill and really like it. Mostly late 70's to 90's homes with mature vegetation and mostly owner occupied with more mature families rather than younger kids, not that there isn't some for sure. Nose Creek runs through and the parks and walking paths are really good here and connect to everything.

If you really like old and character, Old Town has some really nice places.

The east side of the highway in Big Hills area have some nice places too, and some of the cheaper prices for size, but you will find more rentals etc in these areas, but they still are not bad areas. Just a little more transient.

For the new communities, IMHO most of them are the same and really it doesn't matter as far as what you are getting for a house, but you may want to look at proximity to the schools etc if you have kids.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:05 PM

We built a duplex with Mattamy in Southwinds 2 and a half years ago. Love it. I have a double attached garage, 2 bedroom with a big bonus room and a huge deck off the back. No condo fees. In my opinion, Airdrie is better than Calgary for living. Quieter, everything is close, people seem nicer and not in such a rush. No traffic is a big one.

Lived in North Calgary my whole life until we bought out here. House prices are much better too. Our same duplex in Calgary was $25,000.00 more starting. So far the only issue we had with Mattamy was our garage floor...the back was a bit higher than the front and the water was pooling. They replaced the whole floor and it's been great since. Also, there's a nice shopping complex going in across 8th street and they're building a ton of schools around the area.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Have family living in Airdrie communities of Bayside, Fairways, Reunion, Coopers Crossing and Meadowbrook.

I had a chance to purchase cheaply in Airdrie 1990, but opted for Turner Valley mostly for closer mountain access and hunting.

Folks I know in Airdrie seem happy enough, but mostly flying in and out to Fort Mac so they love the airport access.

I could not face that commute into downtown Calgary, but thousands do.

Not aware of any truly bad areas but suicide seems high in Reunion NW Airdrie.
Four on my step-son's street alone in last 3 years

Last edited by omega50; 02-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 PM

We would be buying and the GF landed a DCM job at a warehouse east side of the Hyw. I work from home so no major commute unless I do calls in Calgary.

No kids as they are adults or will be soon.

Lived in Sherwood Park for 20 odd years and like the smaller community life.

I will check out suggestions mentioned here and appreciate the help.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
We would be buying and the GF landed a DCM job at a warehouse east side of the Hyw. I work from home so no major commute unless I do calls in Calgary.

No kids as they are adults or will be soon.

Lived in Sherwood Park for 20 odd years and like the smaller community life.

I will check out suggestions mentioned here and appreciate the help.
I was not going to post anything till you mentioned kids that are almost grown.
...Commute to and from Calgary is bumper to bumper
... Not sure what it's like now, but Airdrie once had the distinction of having the highest per capita STD rate in Canada.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:57 AM

If you need a landing pad for a few months to find the right property then give Ruby a call at Home Rent.ca.

She is Airdrie Based and has a side division called Always Home which features her own short term fully furnished rentals/ corporate relocations- Just bring clothes and go grocery shopping.Bit expensive but fully equipped and Ruby could absolutely be a valuable asset as she knows everything about Airdrie and area.

After my divorce I rented an acreage near High River from her for 18 months-She is beyond amazing. Most of her rentals are in Airdrie. Give you guys a chance to live in the community and see where you would like to buy. Not sure about in town pet policy, but no issue on the property I rented

Last edited by omega50; 02-24-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
... Not sure what it's like now, but Airdrie once had the distinction of having the highest per capita STD rate in Canada.
I have 4 children, 2 are adults, one is 18 in April, one is 15. 3 youngest live with mom so no kids will be moving with us.

I have spent the last 15 years traveling from Edmonton to Calgary and other areas. I have first hand experience with the traffic in and around Calgary.

Spent my whole life in Edmonton area so looking forward to a change and being close to the Rockies.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
If you need a landing pad for a few months to find the right property then give Ruby a call at Home Rent.ca.

She is Airdrie Based and has a side division called Always Home which features her own short term fully furnished rentals/ corporate relocations- Just bring clothes and go grocery shopping.Bit expensive but fully equipped and Ruby could absolutely be a valuable asset as she knows everything about Airdrie and area.

After my divorce I rented an acreage near High River from her for 18 months-She is beyond amazing. Most of her rentals are in Airdrie. Give you guys a chance to live in the community and see where you would like to buy. Not sure about in town pet policy, but no issue on the property I rented
Will check into that for sure, GF has rented a room in a house in Airdrie for short term.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I don't find the commute like this at all except for the very odd day where there is a big accident or snowfall, Especially since the ring road opened. With Center St, Deerfoot and Metis Trail the load has lightened immensely. My shop is just off of Deerfoot and McKnight in Calgary and I find it takes me 15 to 20 minutes from my house in Summerhill. Now getting downtown may be another story but that is the same for people who live even in Calgary itself...
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard73 View Post
Traffic? In Airdrie?

I live in Williamstown and it is pretty decent IMO. Parts of it are right next to a major roadway though so that could be noisy depending on location within the community.

One thing to be aware of is the train tracks running through town. I sometimes can faintly hear the train at night in Williamstown. I'm sure it is quite noisy in some communities that are closer.
I didn't mean williamstown was bad for traffic. The developer (and builder for most of the homes in williamstown) is just awful - I was a subcontractor in there for a short time, and can't believe that the inspectors passed a lot of the crap that went up in there. Sloppy/cheap construction, with a pretty exterior.
As for traffic - I meant the east side of town. Trying to get out of there during the morning and evening rush is a pain in the butt.
I would agree with the earlier post about renting until you decide what area you
Like for your lifestyle, and what makes your commute easier. We live in a new development on the west side of town, and love the pathways for walking the dogs, and the Canals/ponds in the winter for skating - having said that though, the Canals and ponds are for storm water runoff/retention, so once the first big melt hits, they're super unsafe.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 AM

Appreciate all the info and we will be checking some of these areas this weekend. What are the taxes like?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 PM

We are in reunion and we really like it, know all of our neighbors and our house was well built, lots of parks for the kid and at the edge of town when we want to let the dog off leash for a run. Taxes are a little better than Calgary