Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Power Engineering?

Hello, I was wondering if any one on here has taken 4th class power engineering through a online course before? I am currently a journeyman HD tech working on natural gas compressors and engines and would like to obtain my power engineering now. But due to still being employed need to do it online. I seen lake land college and nait offer it online any one have experience with those courses? Also how difficult is the program to pass? how in depth does the math go?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:06 PM

The math isnt anything special, just a refresher of high school. Even if you arent the strongest, make sure you have a good handle on all the other sections and you will be fine. Its a ton of reading but hey, there are a zillion 4ths out there now so it's not that bad.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:54 PM

Ya, what HeavyD said, it's not too tough, but when it's all done, get in line with the thousands who now have a 4th or 3rd.
Jobs are tough to get now for 4ths with 3rds etc out of work.
My son is done finally, 4th on the wall, between Lakeland CML, steam lab, power prep course and ABSA tests, he'd into it for near $9k now and working gas tester / safety watch jobs til a 4th job comes his way.

TBark
Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Is this website also a power engineering forum? Or what is up with all the power engineer threads??
Old 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Is this website also a power engineering forum? Or what is up with all the power engineer threads??
People just inquiring is all...general discussion.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
People just inquiring is all...general discussion.
That is understood. But more people inquire about power engineering than all other career paths.

Is it complicated? A dream job? More enticing to outdoorsmen specifically ?

Lots of careers out there. Not nearly so many questions.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
That is understood. But more people inquire about power engineering than all other career paths.

Yes it is a dream job.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Yes it is a dream job.
Kind of what i figured.

Through reading many of these threads, I still really unsure as to what a power engineer does.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Shift work fits the outdoorsy lifestyle.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 PM

The only power engineers I know are now working in telecom or some other non power engineery job.

Must be good.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 PM

power engineering is best defined as...fast cars, fine wine and dining , shiney motorcycles, jacked up trucks, white sunglasses, big trips, hot women, six figure annual income, low output required, big houses, *

*(...your experience may vary)

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM

There is a lot of company's requiring Atleast a 4th class power engineering certificate to get into any operating position. Seems like that's the only way you have a standing chance for applying for plant operator jobs. I was just looking for input from people who have taken it from the online course.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
X2
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 PM

PE is asked about often because it has a rep (not undeserved) of offering big cash (easy 6 figs, up north 200+) while making the operator do relatively low amounts of physical work. In a nutshell that is it.

A decade ago it wasnt too hard to get into the field since it really wasnt well known as an option compared to electrician, plumber, etc. After word spread for whatever reason, the schools couldnt churn out enough students, and now the job market is flooded with grads.

Also, there have been recent closures of plants causing layoffs of higher level guys with years of good experience. Getting into it now is a rough go, and when my contract expires in a couple years I am pretty confident there wont be another job. As a backup its a good ticket to have, but to anyone who is looking to get into it now, just realize there it probably wont be easy unless you have an "in" somewhere.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
power engineering is best defined as...fast cars, fine wine and dining , shiney motorcycles, jacked up trucks, white sunglasses, big trips, hot women, six figure annual income, low output required, big houses, *

Black sunglasses....but they do have rose colored lenses
Old 02-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Ya, what HeavyD said, it's not too tough, but when it's all done, get in line with the thousands who now have a 4th or 3rd.
Jobs are tough to get now for 4ths with 3rds etc out of work.
My son is done finally, 4th on the wall, between Lakeland CML, steam lab, power prep course and ABSA tests, he'd into it for near $9k now and working gas tester / safety watch jobs til a 4th job comes his way.

TBark
Nearly $9K shut the front door, that is why the field is saturated, there is next to no cost for this level of education, and the prerequisite was just short of a beating heart. When employment was booming some guys would have paid for their entire education in the first month of employment. Find me a college or a university grad that can say that.
This industry is filling full on dead weight, check collectors, for the reason stated above.
Some unsolicited advice to anyone thinking of PE stay clear, the bubble has burst and the market place is flooding and companys are taking advantage and are offering lower wages now. Instead of having 3 resumes for 10 jobs they are getting 100 resumes of 1 jobs.
Anyone looking for employment I wish you the best. Maybe the cream will start to rise to the top again in this field.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Ha roger you are describing the cocky punks, ya lots of those.
Been doing it for 32 years now and still waiting for the big toys, big trips and big t..ts, ha

TBark
Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 PM

I remember it was during the mid 90's when Alberta had one of it's Oil Crashes.
I was working at Esso Cold Lake doing some contract Maintenance work.
I thought it was a good way to get my foot in the door of that Plant.
But when I started there the Office Buildings looked like a ghost town.
Floors were completely empty and all the desk, furniture was stored in the basement, Tons of it.
I asked my co-worker "Why are all these offices empty"
He replied that Esso majority owner is Exxon and when oil prices fell Exxon cut over 10,000 positions across Canada pretty much overnight.
I noticed that while I was there and a Exxon Executive showed up, well the red carpet was rolled up and you could cut the tension in the air with a knife.
I later managed the see the Site Plant Manager as there was a job opening for a 4th Class Power Engineer for the field.
I asked him If I could hand in a resume as I had a Second Class Ticket.
He responded by telling me he received over 800 applications and was in the process of trying to get the list down to 25 candidates for interviews.
Since the job was looking for some field experience (Heavy Oil Pumpjacks) I knew I was out of luck as I had no experience with that equipment. (I do now).
Of course there are more Plants on line since then and possibly the competition may not be so brutal but I really wonder about these new students coming out into the workforce.
They have no freeking idea or clue as they have not experienced an Oil Crash.
The colleges have screwed a lot of young people by putting the financial burden on these students with loans etc.
I went thru SAIT and spent a total of 168 hours of classroom and 2 weeks at a small hospital and got my 4th Class Ticket in less than 3 months.
Now these Colleges are controlled by large oil companies who do not want to spend the extra time or money to train these prospective employee's.
They let the student attend college for sometimes over 1 year to get a 4th Class Ticket and these companies save money and time by doing this.
And the strange thing about this whole mess is that there still is a line up to get into these colleges.
Since the slowdown there are hardly any companies that will take students to get there Steam time.
But for a measely $5500 the local college will let you work in their steam plant to get your time.
Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Nearly $9K shut the front door, that is why the field is saturated, there is next to no cost for this level of education, and the prerequisite was just short of a beating heart. When employment was booming some guys would have paid for their entire education in the first month of employment. Find me a college or a university grad that can say that.
This industry is filling full on dead weight, check collectors, for the reason stated above.
Some unsolicited advice to anyone thinking of PE stay clear, the bubble has burst and the market place is flooding and companys are taking advantage and are offering lower wages now. Instead of having 3 resumes for 10 jobs they are getting 100 resumes of 1 jobs.
Anyone looking for employment I wish you the best. Maybe the cream will start to rise to the top again in this field.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post

Like moths to a flame It's getting a little harder to keep up, but we still git r dun
Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 AM

Company I work for is just beginning to hire again but only those with min 2nd class PE or papers on their 1st are getting a sniff at interviews and jobs. Massive amount of retirements happening now and will ramp up in the next 2-3 years, my advice to anyone thinking about PE is to go to SAIT/NAIT and get that Eng. Tech diploma and a 2nd class paper as that's your best bet to rise above the masses with min education. Or just have a family member or bud hire you as is the norm in the oil industry and any industry I suspect.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

More enticing.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post

That can be said for ALL trades when the patch was up and running, a lot of dead weight, now the cream rises to the top because employers have stacks of resumes to go through for ALL trades and skill sets...trust me I know, I filter through lots of resumes.
As for staying clear of PE nope if that is a career path you want to pursue go for it, or any other trade that makes YOU happy.
Good luck to the OP...don't follow others dreams.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM

The reason PE is asked about a lot here is because if you google "power engineering (question)" more often than not one of the first hits is the outdoorsmenforum website. The online 4th course is easy, I did mine during standby time working in the patch. It was going to be my backup if **** hit the fan in the oilfield. Well **** hit the fan and I was lucky enough to get steam time through a non oilfield company. The online 4th course is not recommended right now as you will have am EXTREMELY hard time getting steam time after, or you could pay for your steam time. Employers would rather you have taken the university course in my experience.