Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyLongDraw View Post
I picked up a Bradley 6 rack digital this December. My roommate and I harvested a moose, two whitetails and a ton? of ducks and geese this season.

What we quickly learnt when smoking our sausage and jerky this winter is that the electric smoker is not powerful or insulated enough for our Canadian winters. We had to build an insulated box with a smoke ventilation chimney to keep the heat in for the smoker to sit in. We also had to be very careful when opening the door as it could take an hour for the smoker to return to temperature.

I really look forward to using the smoker in the summer, but be warned if you are considering purchasing an electric one.

The bradley electric that I have did the same thing the first 3 or 4 times that I used it. It got much better after that and haven't had any issues since even in -25 or so weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM

I think that most smokers would have a tougher time returning up to temp after being opened in the cold weather. I have been researching the insulated ones which seem to get better reviews (for recovering heat) - but I agree - building some sort of insulation blanket or shed of some sort might be a good idea if you are smoking in the cold.

I was also thinking about using (and having someone build me) a combination dual fuel type smoker - maybe a charcoal/wood chip thing on the side for a little indirect heat, but having a drip tray over a electrical element (with digital thermostat) on the cabinet side of it.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Build your own. Ive made two. Both out of old barrels and theres a certain level of pride from great food made from your own creation. Pm me and ill semd you pics and ideas if you like
Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyLongDraw View Post
I picked up a Bradley 6 rack digital this December. My roommate and I harvested a moose, two whitetails and a ton? of ducks and geese this season.

What we quickly learnt when smoking our sausage and jerky this winter is that the electric smoker is not powerful or insulated enough for our Canadian winters. We had to build an insulated box with a smoke ventilation chimney to keep the heat in for the smoker to sit in. We also had to be very careful when opening the door as it could take an hour for the smoker to return to temperature.

I really look forward to using the smoker in the summer, but be warned if you are considering purchasing an electric one.
Yep those Bradleys smokers loose heat fast when the door is opened and I very seldom use mine when it is cold. I have thought of building a smoke stack and using it in my garage but I am not addicted to smoke enough to make it worth while. Even when it is nice out, opening door is not cool or I mean it makes it cool I often run two thermometers. One for the meat and and one for cabinet temperature. I do not trust the temp read on the Bradley. The second thermometer I push a probe through a potato.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think that most smokers would have a tougher time returning up to temp after being opened in the cold weather. I have been researching the insulated ones which seem to get better reviews (for recovering heat) - but I agree - building some sort of insulation blanket or shed of some sort might be a good idea if you are smoking in the cold.

I was also thinking about using (and having someone build me) a combination dual fuel type smoker - maybe a charcoal/wood chip thing on the side for a little indirect heat, but having a drip tray over a electrical element (with digital thermostat) on the cabinet side of it.
As mentioned. The master built won't have the issue. It CAN and it WILL maintain heat and recover quickly in the cold. Without messy smokey boxes to put it in.

My dad has a cool work around. He built a hood for his Bradley with a bathroom fan and window adapter. Runs it in the shop with no smell or smoke inside at all. Works great.

I opted for leaving mine outside and running a smoker capable of the cold.

The better you get at smoking. The less you will open the door.

Master built has a tray you pull out to add wood. Great temp control and a meat probe thermometer. Or buy a wireless thermometer for accuracy reasons. Set the temp and don't open the door until the meat is cooked. Or as little as possible.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Gone Hunting

My old Masterbuilt has worked great for a long time.

Last time I went to use it it didn't want to heat, the problem is a damaged connection to one side of the element.

I think I can fix it but just wondering if anyone knows of a generic source to buy such odd shaped elements.

Masterbuilt no longer sells that element.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM

Masterbuilt. Hooked 'er up to 500 gallon propane tank, and we're good to go!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Masterbuilt. Hooked 'er up to 500 gallon propane tank, and we're good to go!
Don't forget it. Meat may end a little dry by the time she stops.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
The bradley electric that I have did the same thing the first 3 or 4 times that I used it. It got much better after that and haven't had any issues since even in -25 or so weather.

Wow, you sure got an exceptional one then.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Wow, you sure got an exceptional one then.

Don't get me wrong, temperature still drops quite a bit when you open the door. But after using it a few times it takes 10-15 mins to get back to full temp versus an hour or more.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Don't forget it. Meat may end a little dry by the time she stops.
You do have a point. Sometimes I check 3 times to make sure the valve is off when I'm done!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
Have a look at the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett. I love mine!
X2 Look for a good pellet grill that will grill, BBQ. & smoke equally well.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Wow- Diamond 7 meats LLoydminster is $6.50/lb, for some reason they think they are special, Meatco Wainwright is $4.50
I stand corrected, I didn't have my coffee before posting. lol
It was $13.00/kg, so roughy $6.00/lb
Old 03-09-2017, 04:14 PM

What are the advantages with a propane smoker? I have only owned the bradley but sold it as the pucks were getting way to expensive.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a "souped up" Bradley 6 rack. The wife concocted and sewed up an insulated pipeline blanket for cold weather insulation. I have no problem maintaining temp even at -25. I rigged a second heat element and a pid controller. Easy like a dam. I am considering installing a third element to give me heat on both sides and the rear, giving me 1500 watts of power. The pid gives you control over the time, temp and timed temps, with the unit shutting down when the internal temp of what you are working with in the smoker reaches your predetermined temp.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
What are the advantages with a propane smoker? I have only owned the bradley but sold it as the pucks were getting way to expensive.

I have used regular smoker chips in my Bradley. It just meant opening the door a little more often.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Gone Hunting

For all of the Bradley smoker owners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8aEmcZiqw