Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
How do you keep the wipeout out of the mechanism of the rifle. I've found it messy to use in a .22 as the plastic nozzle does not fit into the chamber, and I had to put it in from the crown end.
I have a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing with some nozzles that came with a air pump for mattresses. I put into the breech end, I tried wipeout because I shoot mostly copper plated yellow jackets, seems to be working out.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM

I don't use Wipeout on my .22 rimfires because as stated earlier, it basically targets copper.
I don't own any semi auto rimfires either , but when I do clean them for friends they get either cleaned taken apart or with a muzzle protector .
As far as cleaning agents go I have used stuff like Hoppes , G96, or other stuff that will remove lead and powder fouling.
My all time favorites are Amzoil Intake and combustion cleaner and Mercury Quicksilver Power Tune.
The Mercury product works well enough and is popular enough that Sinclair International sells it, but they are all pretty much the same and i think they may be kerosene based but I am not certain.
Cat
Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Mine has seen countless bricks and has never gummed up. The only time it's ever failed to cycle was when I ran worn out plastic lipped mags. With the steel lip magazines it's never failed to feed, fire or eject.
Well guess the sand and grit didn't help but I tell ya break clean and cycle it a dozen times, 10w30 and cycle again and she spits the crud out then is ready to roll.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
First, a question regarding the use of Wipeout which I believe targets copper fouling. Is it effective for lead fouling?
snip
Neither 'Wipe-Out' or 'Patch-Out' is intended for lead removal.

I have used 'Chore-Boy on a bore brush', with both Ed's Red and Shooter' Choice Lead Remover, all require a lot of mechanical brushing to remove even relatively light grey leading.

I now use a product from Wipe-Out called 'No-Lead' which is designed for lead removal, and works VERY well.
It has been packaged is a couple of different formats as both a single part liquid and a set with Part A&B which are mixed before use. The Part A plastic bottle is large enough to mix the Part B in, but I prefer to mix in smaller quantities as it does become saturated with dissolved lead.

I keep it in a tall glass jar so I can insert an semi-auto pistol pistol barrel, tighten the cap, and lay the jar down at an angle to let the barrel soak. I then hold the barrel inside the jar to catch the fluid as I brush the bore.

I clean rifle bores at a very slight slope in a similar manner as 'Patch-Out', and 'Carb-Out' or other carbon remover. Normally fouling seems to form in layers and several alternating processes and chemicals are required to clean neglected bores, some need to soak longer than others.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Interesting about wipeout
The claim
The removal of these four types of fouling: 1. Powder fouling (smokeless or blackpowder) 2. Metal fouling (copper or lead alloy) 3. Carbon , 4. Molybdenum (usually introduced by the use of Molybdenum coated bullets), which will restore accuracy in a barrel whose usable life is still viable.
Then down in the fine print
They do claim it aids in removing lead by dissolving the copper jacketing material not the lead
SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL SHOOTERS SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS.

We specifically state that Wipe-out does not dissolve lead. Most chemicals that dissolve lead produce a galvanic reaction. This reaction in effect acts like a battery. In most cases it will etch steel ( both stainless and carbon steel). It is for this reason that we don’t use chemicals that specifically work on lead.

We use chemicals that will dissolve the other metals ( tin , antimony, zinc, etc.) that are incorporated in most bullet alloys. So we work to destroy the integrity of the bullet alloy, and it begins to come apart in small black flakes. This process takes about 24 to 36 hours.

So while Wipe-Out™ does not dissolve lead , it will degrade the alloy so that it can be pushed out with a tight patch

So after reading this wipeout is not the product for rimfires they also say it safe for all gun finish's it will take Truoil off.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I did that on my 10/22 makes cleaning the bore much easier removing the barrel changed my POI. After each use I lightly clean muzzle to chamber with a muzzle protector to protect the crown. After a brick or so I disassemble for a complete cleaning with wipeout.
Do your patches come out blue in the rimfire with Wipeout?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:00 PM

never clean my 22 or my shotguns. And yet my rifles get over cleaned
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM

got a win semi as a 12 year old and probably dumped 10-12 bricks through it and never cleaned it and like coiloil it was still in the money
Old 02-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Heard many moons ago, that there was not too much difference. As long as the bullet isn't getting damaged on the way out, it will fly the same every time. As long as the crown leaks the same way every time. That's a good reference for everyone to read.

I believe it is somewhat dependent on the barrel and ammo, and how much junk collects in there. Some don't perform as well until a number of shots "reburnish" (for lack of better term) the bore.

I wonder if guys know that carbon gets blasted down the barrels? With all the talk of bore snakes, you'd think there was a guy that plumb cleaned the rifling right out!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Every 10 yrs or so. Or when the lead builds up on the muzzle. Whatever comes first.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:10 PM

My competition silhouette rifle has a Benchmark barrel. It is good for well under a minute at 100m, if the ammo is up to it. I can see a slight dropoff in accuracy after about 300 rounds. After cleaning it takes about 20 rounds to reseason the barrel, I am sure this is laying down lube off the bullets. A rule of thumb is one shot per inch of barrel.

For cleaning I use fuel injector cleaner on a patch, followed up with Kroil.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM

Smile

What is that ward ? (clean)

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Depends if I.m shooting he next day or not.
Sometimes 500 rounds between trips the the Gopher Range .

Rob
Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 PM

There not match rifles so i use the copper equilibrium technique which is i basically dont clean the barrel only the chamber, unless it emhibits the use of the firearm.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I also use a bore snake for shotguns, since there is no rifling and the crown isn't nearly as critical as with a rifle.
If you get the RedHead branded "Bore Snake", it's a two piece system. One string has the brush, the other has the snake part. This is what I use in between cleanings on my shotguns, just to get the barrel bore shiny again and remove any carbon residue in between shooting.

Once I'm done using it, I stuff it inside one of my dirty socks and throw it in the washing machine.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I had a 10/22 that i bought in 1993. Had a qtr of land that was infested with gophers. I shot over 1400 rounds before the action started to gum up and not cycle reliably. Gave it a good cleaning and it worked like a charm. Now that im a bunch older and maybe a little wiser i clean all my guns before i put them away for the day.
X2. Still love quarters of land that are infested with gophers.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Banned

Every time we put rounds through the bore, they get cleaned ( I clean my wife's too)