Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Default 7mm wsm

Has anybody used this cartridge and how does it compare to a 7 mm rem mag . Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 10:54 AM

You'd be hard pressed to see any real world difference between the two.

The Rem Mag will get a leg up on the WSM when reloaded, but it's a case of diminishing returns, to see any real difference.

It's like comparing the 7x57, and the 7mm-08.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-11-2017, 10:59 AM

I've had both and reloaded for both. The rem mag is easier to get brass for but you can always just size one of the other WSM cases. I never did load any bullets heavier than 160gr but I would think you may get a bit more from the rem mag if you do. Really for hunting the animals won't know the difference.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 PM

I have them both and the 7mm wsm recoil is a bit less in my bolts,i have the 7mm wsm in a semi auto and it just great to shoot,never was to big a fan on semi's but this one is very acuurate ,not hole for hole,but a good group close to an inch or better,like Dick 284 said the rem mag when hand loading gets the better of the two. I use 150 grain lrab nosler's in my hand loads for the wsm,but I never go over 150,just don't see the need.
Try and get the best brass you can for 7mm wsm which I keep for my bolt and it's easy to work with,just neck size and the odd trimming after so many rounds and you will get mileage from that brass.In 2013 I had the wsm with me when wolf hunting for longer ranges and I shot two facing me at 500 and they never moved with little damage using a 140 grain accubond.

I believe whinchester stopped making brass for the 7mm wsm,so for a cheap brass source I just buy by the case the federal power shock,you get to do some shooting plus the brass is formed for that gun or just pound them out and you have brass primed and just neck size because buying used brass no matter what you do sometimes won't match up with your chamber same goes for the 300 wsm .Either way there both great and you will enjoy them or it.

Last edited by JD848; 02-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Default 7mm wsm

Thanks guys I will try it out I'm planning on loading 140 grs
Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Per the above replies, there is virtually zero practical difference between the WSM and the RM. I have used and currently load for both, the RM is certainly easier to find brass for but as mentioned above, there are solutions. My pet is the WSM, I guess I'm dancing to a different tune because for some strange reason I find it more fascinating. Maybe the others out there can validate this but I do find the WSM more finicky to load. It seems more "reactive" as you approach pressure limits than other cartridges I have experience with but, given I am getting book numbers (3000ish fps for the 160's) with book powder levels I've given up trying to push for anything faster. One thing that others may validate as well - I need to anneal necks regularly as I will begin to get split case necks after the third firing. By annealing at each loading I am at nine runs through my current batch of Winchester brass. I crunched a neck on one of these recently so I cut it open and there is no apparent thinning near the case web. Hope you enjoy your 7.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar4500 View Post
Thanks guys I will try it out I'm planning on loading 140 grs
Do you already own the 7WSM or just contemplating buying it?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:15 PM

I think the 7wsm is amongst the best rounds. Having the ability to get close to 7mm rem mag performance in a short action to me gives the 7 wsm the clear edge of the two in my opinion. I'm shooting fairly light loads of 140 grain tsx at 3050 ft/sec but the rifle seems to like that 3050ft/sec and the 140 grain were much more pleasant to shoot than the 150 grain at the same velocity.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Default 7mm wsm

I purchased it and brass
Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Have both. I actually get a little more mv shooting the same bullet-(140ttsx hand loads) out of the wsm. Not enough to make much of a difference-(50fps). I do find less recoil with the wsm. But as stated it's like pulling hens teeth to find winchester brass for the wsm.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Default 7wsm

I now also have both my tika 7mag gets 3050fps with 139 hornidy sst
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Default 7 wsm

Will have to start building load for wsm going to use imr 4350 and 140 gr ttsx
Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 PM

I had better results with imr 4831 than imr 4350.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 AM

4831 has been a great powder for my WSM. Behind a 140 TTSX.
Currently working on a load for Hornady 168 ELD-X
I have a great varmint load with Hornady 120 V-MAX
I love mine. It's different and it shoots incredibly well..
Mine is a Stainless Win 70.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinmatt View Post
I had better results with imr 4831 than imr 4350.
Same here
Old 02-14-2017, 01:57 PM

I am trying out viht n560,n160,n165,the 2 that give me the best results are n560,n165,very little pressure sign and the numbers are good they shoot very well.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 PM

I would say its sort of like comparing salt with salt. Really hard to tell any difference, and if you do, it's likely only in your head To me, brass availability gives the nod in the RM's favor.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM

There's really no difference they come equal to within 20 fps on tested loads and the there is always the heavier bullet head space issues with bigger bullets so really out of all the short mags the .270 (+200 fps) is the only one that does anything but you pay for it with more recoil oh usually to the fps you have to load hot and reload the cartrige which many dont, oh did i mention feeding issues ? and really at any major store its hard to find one even chambered in it to start.

The shortmags have been a gimic from the start for guys thinking there getting some thing new which is not the case at all.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500+BC View Post
the .270 (+200 fps) is the only one that does anything but you pay for it with more recoil oh usually to the fps you have to load hot and reload the cartrige which many dont, oh did i mention feeding issues ? and really at any major store its hard to find one even chambered in it to start.
I get over 300 fps faster with the wsm over the regular 270 win. Not sure what you call a hot load-mine are all book loads. As far as feeding-I've had probably 10 different wsm's in all of the cartridges and never had one feeding issue. The local little hardware store stocks both 270 and 300 wsm.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I get over 300 fps faster with the wsm over the regular 270 win. Not sure what you call a hot load-mine are all book loads. As far as feeding-I've had probably 10 different wsm's in all of the cartridges and never had one feeding issue. The local little hardware store stocks both 270 and 300 wsm.
Hmm because Im looking at load data here that states the .270 min max tobe about 2550 - 2950 FPS and the WSM 2670- 3070 FPS now that at there peaks at little math tells me (110 FPS difference) that its less of difference then what i said and in reality you can go over those suggested loads a bit to get more so i rounded to 200 fps for good measure.

Now your telling me 300 fps when in reality if this is true, you my have a longer barrel or i what i may call "hotter loads". aslo there is no true way to tell unless you chrono, and every rifle tends to be different these days. This is just me but really for all the fuss of a short action calibre and yes there have been documented feeding issues with fatter cases and head spacing issues with heavier typically longer bullets in the WSM range. Your also looking harder to find brass and more expensive ammo if you don't reload, also your tend you have less magazine capacity. The WSM Tried tested and true counter parts to the WSM lineup are a simpler choice. Just my opinion.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hmm because Im looking at load data here that states the .270 min max tobe about 2550 - 2950 FPS and the WSM 2670- 3070 FPS now that at there peaks at little math tells me (110 FPS difference) that its less of difference then what i said and in reality you can go over those suggested loads a bit to get more so i rounded to 200 fps for good measure.

Now your telling me 300 fps when in reality if this is true, you my have a longer barrel or i what i may call "hotter loads". aslo there is no true way to tell unless you chrono, and every rifle tends to be different these days. This is just me but really for all the fuss of a short action calibre and yes there have been documented feeding issues with fatter cases and head spacing issues with heavier typically longer bullets in the WSM range. Your also looking harder to find brass and more expensive ammo if you don't reload, also your tend you have less magazine capacity. The WSM Tried tested and true counter parts to the WSM lineup are a simpler choice. Just my opinion.
Same day-same chrono. Shooting 270 weatherby, wsm and win. All shooting 130gr accubonds. 270bee-3450 fps, 270 wsm-3350 fps, 270 win. 3010 fps. None of the loads were over max-none showed pressure signs. This is real life experience not reading from a book-(no insult meant).
Old 02-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Same day-same chrono. Shooting 270 weatherby, wsm and win. All shooting 130gr accubonds. 270bee-3450 fps, 270 wsm-3350 fps, 270 win. 3010 fps. None of the loads were over max-none showed pressure signs. This is real life experience not reading from a book-(no insult meant).

Awesome for you...... I should have stated above that stats i posted were for 150 gr bullets. I think you've proven my point that with one bullet weight you get better performance for all the above down sides. Limited is the word I would use good if your one load works for every thing then you have a niche, but then again you said 3 different Calibres there. So my guess its not a niche cartridge for you. So i guess if you like playing with loads (which is fun) thats great but for you, but guys just getting into it and not wanting to reload thats a problem. even more so when reloading wont hail any better results in the 7mm WSM or 300 WSM cough the original point of my post.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Awesome for you...... I should have stated above that stats i posted were for 150 gr bullets. I think you've proven my point that with one bullet weight you get better performance for all the above down sides. Limited is the word I would use good if your one load works for every thing then you have a niche, but then again you said 3 different Calibres there. So my guess its not a niche cartridge for you. So i guess if you like playing with loads (which is fun) thats great but for you, but guys just getting into it and not wanting to reload thats a problem. even more so when reloading wont hail any better results in the 7mm WSM or 300 WSM cough the original point of my post.
No you won't get better velocities from the 7 or 300 wsm over the rem mag or win mag. the point of my post was to point out that I've had numerous short mags and A. never had a feeding issue as you stated they are famous for and B. the availability of store bought ammo. Like I said the local hardware store carries it as well as wholesale. Judging by your comments it makes me wonder if you've ever owned a short mag or if you experience is from what you've read on the 'net.