Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Remington Model 783

Used the search thing but didn't show results specifically.
Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it?
How does it compare with other "value priced" rifles?
I like the fact that they're not trying to throw in a "bonus" 3-9x40 crap scope.
I have other better rifles, just curious about these.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:33 AM

From Cabelas

Quote:
Remington® Model 783™ Bolt Action Rifle w/ Scope

• CrossFire™ trigger system adjusts from 2-1/2 to 5 lb.
• Carbon steel, button rifled barrel
• Pillar-bedded stock and free-floating barrel
• SuperCell™ Recoil Pad
Includes 3-9x40mm riflescope
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM

I have handled one and think they are terrible value rifles. Imo you are better off with a savage axis or ruger american

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Banned

For not much more, at Bass Pro, you can get a Remington 700 ADL. There is no floor plate so it's too load only, it does come with that same 3-9 scope. It's a touch over $600 but it's a way better rifle from what I have read and felt. And the options for customization are practically limitless.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Default 783

I own one in 243 and and once I found the right ammo it's quite accurate. Trigger is adjustable and it fits me well. I put a quality scope on it and it's my go to coyote rifle. Bolt operation on mine is quite smooth and never had a problem feeding or extracting. Aftermarket support is non existent for now but I'm sure it will be coming. I owned an axis before and recommend the 783. Everyone has a different opinion though.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Put one together in .308 for my wife with a Leupold VX-2 and we're getting 3 rounds touching at 100 yards with most ammo. It shoots like a dream, perceived recoil is way better than any Savage and in my opinion is overall much nicer than any axis. I've shot the Ruger and while nicer than the Savage, I still think the 783 is the king of the "combo" packages.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM

Friends don't let Friends buy a 783 - NO!!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Friends don't let Friends buy a 783 - NO!!
What seems to be the problem everyone has with it?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Default To madball

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
What seems to be the problem everyone has with it?
Some people just don't like to admit that they bought a "cheap" rifle. I've had more expensive rifles that didn't shoot worth a damn. Do you sell many of them? I might give one a try (308), if it feels right.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 PM

Friends don't let Friends line dance either
Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Some people just don't like to admit that they bought a "cheap" rifle. I've had more expensive rifles that didn't shoot worth a damn. Do you sell many of them? I might give one a try (308), if it feels right.
We do actually. I have to have sold 3 or 4 dozen of them by now and not one has come asking for their money back.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Don't make the very common mistake of buying a cheap rifle and then spending more on stock, trigger and scope upgrades than you could buy a quality used rifle for...I have seen this done way too frequently. You should be able to buy a lightly used good quality combo for 8-900 hundred easily. An older Rem 700, Win 70, Ruger 77 or a Tikka T3 is a much better built rifle.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Don't make the very common mistake of buying a cheap rifle and then spending more on stock, trigger and scope upgrades than you could buy a quality used rifle for...I have seen this done way too frequently. You should be able to buy a lightly used good quality combo for 8-900 hundred easily. An older Rem 700, Win 70, Ruger 77 or a Tikka T3 is a much better built rifle.
x2
Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 AM

I bought mine from bass pro in Calgary for $360.00 on sale in 22-250. It shoots sub moa out if the box. What else do you want for that price?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
We do actually. I have to have sold 3 or 4 dozen of them by now and not one has come asking for their money back.
I was one of those after the great advice of 'buy whatever package is cheapest at the time'. The axis is a great gun too, I just got a great deal on my 783 in .308. Took my first white tail this year and couldn't be happier. My wife likes the price tag. I spent more on my .22 with a decent rimfire scope.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Remington 783

I and some friends bought some. I made the deal we got 3 in 30-06, 2 in 243, 2 in 22-250, and 1 in 223. I got them all for $404 each except for the 223 it was a little more. That included freight and taxes (bought them on the internet). The only one I am aware of being shot is is one of the 22-250s my nephew is almost putting them through the same hole at 100 yds. not too shabby for a $404 gun EH!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghooke1 View Post
I and some friends bought some. I made the deal we got 3 in 30-06, 2 in 243, 2 in 22-250, and 1 in 223. I got them all for $404 each except for the 223 it was a little more. That included freight and taxes (bought them on the internet). The only one I am aware of being shot is is one of the 22-250s my nephew is almost putting them through the same hole at 100 yds. not too shabby for a $404 gun EH!
And what do you think of the gun? Have you had much time behind them?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 PM

I heard this is a remake of that marlin x7 (not sure if that's the model). And that was supposed to be a great rifle. Now that Marlin and Remington are basically merged Remi used that design for there budget rifle. And I seen a guy at the range putting up very decent groups with it. I researched it and everything I read was its a great gun for the price. Lots of guys say they are tack drivers. But in all honesty, I think that A bolt3 is the best budget out there. Guys are getting phenomenal accuracy out of them. Just the plastic trigger seems like a turn off. But guys have no problem with them.
Personally I'd spend a touch more and go with a Vanguard 2 or a used Tikka,etc. I'd say Howa would be a great option too. I've seen some for 500$ new. But I guess there warrenty doesn't cover Canadian rifles yet. That's the rumour anyway...Check around on lots of different gun shops online. Lots are having clearance sales right now too. Could get lucky and find a nice rifle for a really good price.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
And what do you think of the gun? Have you had much time behind them?
I'm thinking if the rest preform as well it's a great gun for the money.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
For not much more, at Bass Pro, you can get a Remington 700 ADL. There is no floor plate so it's too load only, it does come with that same 3-9 scope. It's a touch over $600 but it's a way better rifle from what I have read and felt. And the options for customization are practically limitless.
Aren't the Rem 700 that can accidentally discharge with deadly consequences or am I getting the models mixed up? If I'm not I wouldn't take a 700 if it were free.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Not anymore. All of the triggers have been updated.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghooke1 View Post
Aren't the Rem 700 that can accidentally discharge with deadly consequences or am I getting the models mixed up? If I'm not I wouldn't take a 700 if it were free.
Now that would be a silly thing to do. For $200.00 you can add a TriggerTech. You now have a complete action for the price of a great trigger. I'd take it if you don't......
Old 02-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Now that would be a silly thing to do. For $200.00 you can add a TriggerTech. You now have a complete action for the price of a great trigger. I'd take it if you don't......
Even the new factory trigger aren't bad. The one you have of mine right now is a new, non-adjustable. Whatever the weight is at right now, is it until work is done it. The other ones I have have adjustment to them to get them down somewhat.

Like gitrdun said, the TriggerTech triggers are great. They are a different style trigger. Both mine and my wife's are set at 1.5lbs and there is no way that they will fire from bumping the rifle. You need to actually pull the trigger. They are crisp and feel lighter than what they are set to.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM

A guy I hunt with has a 783 in 7mm mag. It easily shoots sub moa with factory ammo.
Not the smoothest bolt ive ever cycled but for the price its hard to beat.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
I heard this is a remake of that marlin x7 (not sure if that's the model). And that was supposed to be a great rifle. Now that Marlin and Remington are basically merged Remi used that design for there budget rifle. And I seen a guy at the range putting up very decent groups with it. I researched it and everything I read was its a great gun for the price. Lots of guys say they are tack drivers. But in all honesty, I think that A bolt3 is the best budget out there. Guys are getting phenomenal accuracy out of them. Just the plastic trigger seems like a turn off. But guys have no problem with them.
Personally I'd spend a touch more and go with a Vanguard 2 or a used Tikka,etc. I'd say Howa would be a great option too. I've seen some for 500$ new. But I guess there warrenty doesn't cover Canadian rifles yet. That's the rumour anyway...Check around on lots of different gun shops online. Lots are having clearance sales right now too. Could get lucky and find a nice rifle for a really good price.
Take a look at the "insides" of a gun rather than what you see just on the "outside" when fondling one at the gun counter. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 chambered in .243win. When I bring a gun into my arsenal, before I even fire a single round out of it, I take it apart, and ask myself "what can I possibly do to improve on this factory made gun?" The Howa blew me away. Pillars both fore and aft, and I mean properly fitted to contact bottom metal and receiver. The rear of the recoil lug is matted to an imbedded steel back plate which contacts it perfectly. The trigger was decent, although I lightened it just a bit. The barrel was properly free floated by more than a paper thickness. Sooo, I shot it, with loads that I had concoctioned for another rifle. Dang thing shot 5 of those rounds into one ragged hole, they all touched each other. One way, it peeded me off a bit, I didn't have to do anything to it, quite unusual. Looking at it the other way, I got me a shooter without alterations.

Edit: and just to add a bit of this to it. I've had to deal with fitting the McMillan stocks, HS Precision, a few others that qualify as some of the better stocks out there. In doing the fitting work, I've often said to myself "what a piece of sh** for such an expensive stock. Poor fit of the aluminum block. The fiberglass is full of epoxy holes, etc. Not impressed with some of those stocks that you guys pay good money for.

I suppose that I'm a die hard wood stock guy. Love nice wood with beauty grain.

Last edited by gitrdun; 02-16-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
A guy I hunt with has a 783 in 7mm mag. It easily shoots sub moa with factory ammo.
Not the smoothest bolt ive ever cycled but for the price its hard to beat.
I may have to go to a store and have a look-see at one of those 783's. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Take a look at the "insides" of a gun rather than what you see just on the "outside" when fondling one at the gun counter. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 chambered in .243win. When I bring a gun into my arsenal, before I even fire a single round out of it, I take it apart, and ask myself "what can I possibly do to improve on this factory made gun?" The Howa blew me away. Pillars both fore and aft, and I mean properly fitted to contact bottom metal and receiver. The rear of the recoil lug is matted to an imbedded steel back plate which contacts it perfectly. The trigger was decent, although I lightened it just a bit. The barrel was properly free floated by more than a paper thickness. Sooo, I shot it, with loads that I had concoctioned for another rifle. Dang thing shot 5 of those rounds into one ragged hole, they all touched each other. One way, it peeded me off a bit, I didn't have to do anything to it, quite unusual. Looking at it the other way, I got me a shooter without alterations.

Edit: and just to add a bit of this to it. I've had to deal with fitting the McMillan stocks, HS Precision, a few others that qualify as some of the better stocks out there. In doing the fitting work, I've often said to myself "what a piece of sh** for such an expensive stock. Poor fit of the aluminum block. The fiberglass is full of epoxy holes, etc. Not impressed with some of those stocks that you guys pay good money for.

I suppose that I'm a die hard wood stock guy. Love nice wood with beauty grain.
Hey!!! Are you trying to say the B&C you bedded for me is a POS? lol
Old 02-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Nobody liked the 788 either.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM

I bought a 783 in a .270. Put a vortex diamondback on it and it has been a great rifle. I realize it's not the fanciest rifle but that's what I like about it, I don't mind if the stock gets scratched by a barbed wire fence or by a twig. It's a reliable accurate rifle for a great price. I just can't justify a $1500 rifle when my $500 one will kill the same animal at 200 yards. If I was trying to knock down elk at 600 yards sure I would spend a bit more. But hunting to me is more about being out there and making a good shot more than it is about the judgement of the gear I use. If people want to judge me because I use a cheap rifle and spend about $100 total on my camo then that's there problem, not mine.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Hey!!! Are you trying to say the B&C you bedded for me is a POS? lol
Not necessarily. But I often form an opinion quietly in my head without sharing it aloud Primarily, I would just state that I prefer wooden stocks.