Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Default Ihunter app question

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if my apps not working. I purchased the upgrade and it claims that it shows crown land but I'm not seeing it on my map but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for. If someone could help me out that would be great haha thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if my apps not working. I purchased the upgrade and it claims that it shows crown land but I'm not seeing it on my map but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for. If someone could help me out that would be great haha thanks in advance
Hi KW12!

I downloaded the app about a month ago and am soooo happy I have it! It makes finding crown land so much easier! Well worth the purchase IMO.

But, regarding your question, you should see green zones which represent crown land across Alberta. If you do not see them, click the middle icon at the top which looks like a crown. Go to options and select "on" under "show agricultural lease land." That should take care of it.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have.

Also, worth noting, if you buy a County Lander Ownership Map, you will only get the names of the people who own the land, you will NOT get their contact information!! I wish I knew this before I dropped $25!!!

Happy hunting!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doof324 View Post
Hi KW12!

I downloaded the app about a month ago and am soooo happy I have it! It makes finding crown land so much easier! Well worth the purchase IMO.

But, regarding your question, you should see green zones which represent crown land across Alberta. If you do not see them, click the middle icon at the top which looks like a crown. Go to options and select "on" under "show agricultural lease land." That should take care of it.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have.

Also, worth noting, if you buy a County Lander Ownership Map, you will only get the names of the people who own the land, you will NOT get their contact information!! I wish I knew this before I dropped $25!!!

Happy hunting!
Here is screenshots from my phone. Green is crown land.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170214-230610.jpg (24.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (20.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:23 PM

Awesome! Thank you very much I have had the app for awhile now but haven't really got the chance to mess with it much so I was unsure why the green wasn't coming up but now that I seen your screenshot I went in and had to turn all that stuff on! Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Awesome! Thank you very much I have had the app for awhile now but haven't really got the chance to mess with it much so I was unsure why the green wasn't coming up but now that I seen your screenshot I went in and had to turn all that stuff on! Thanks for the reply!
You're welcome! It saved my butt not too long ago too! Someone thought we were trespassing but I had all the information to let him know that we were there legally. Name-dropping the leaseholder's name helped clear up any suspicions he had!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Worth the money?

How much is this app? Is it worth it?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux 1876 View Post
i think it a couple bucks but well worth the investment.
i would buy it again any day of the week well worth the money.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux 1876 View Post
I think there's a free basic version iirc,and the upgrade with lease info is $10/yr?
You can also purchase separately county landowner maps for around $20 and up(some counties and MDs cost more)
Speaking of landowner maps.....I've had the app and upgrade for 2.5yrs,on my 2nd renewal now,but I've yet to purchase any landowner maps(planning to)
Can anybody tell me if the landowner maps are a one time purchase with automatic (annual?) revisions,or do you need to pay full price for landowner maps each year?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I think there's a free basic version iirc,and the upgrade with lease info is $10/yr?
You can also purchase separately county landowner maps for around $20 and up(some counties and MDs cost more)
Speaking of landowner maps.....I've had the app and upgrade for 2.5yrs,on my 2nd renewal now,but I've yet to purchase any landowner maps(planning to)
Can anybody tell me if the landowner maps are a one time purchase with automatic (annual?) revisions,or do you need to pay full price for landowner maps each year?
They are an annual purchase. Keep in mind you only get the names of the landowners, no contact information. If I had known that I wouldn't have bought the map!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
They are an annual purchase. Keep in mind you only get the names of the landowners, no contact information. If I had known that I wouldn't have bought the map!
Ok thx.Do you know if the landowner info disappears after a year,or does it just not refresh?
I have the laminated Landowner map book of SW Alberta that cost a small fortune at MapTown and is almost 3 years old now.
As for finding landowner contact info....I cross reference the landowner maps with the iHunter leaseholder maps(they don't always match exactly either BTW)
Often as not you can put 2 and 2 together when you see the same name on both maps and get contact info for deeded land from the leaseholder app.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 AM

The landowner maps do not disappear after a year. They work just like paper maps and stay active in the app as long as you are using it. To get updated landowner names, you need to buy the updated map.

One thing to note though is if you move from Android to iPhone or vice versa, you need to buy your in-app purchases (and the app for that matter) again on the new platform because Google / Apple don't allow transfers.

I can't see myself ever buying another paper map, especially since they now have 60+ maps available.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
The landowner maps do not disappear after a year. They work just like paper maps and stay active in the app as long as you are using it. To get updated landowner names, you need to buy the updated map.

One thing to note though is if you move from Android to iPhone or vice versa, you need to buy your in-app purchases (and the app for that matter) again on the new platform because Google / Apple don't allow transfers.

I can't see myself ever buying another paper map, especially since they now have 60+ maps available.
Good to know...that settles it then,I'll definitely be buying a few of the county/MD maps in the future.Nice to see more counties are getting on board with iHunter.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Smile

Quote:
Ok thx.Do you know if the landowner info disappears after a year,or does it just not refresh?
I have the laminated Landowner map book of SW Alberta that cost a small fortune at MapTown and is almost 3 years old now.
As for finding landowner contact info....I cross reference the landowner maps with the iHunter leaseholder maps(they don't always match exactly either BTW)
Often as not you can put 2 and 2 together when you see the same name on both maps and get contact info for deeded land from the leaseholder app.
West O'5

How do I get the landowner contact information exactly? Must I purchase a physical map/booklet or is there a way to do it through iHunter? Here's an example of a map I bought on my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170215-093847.jpg (22.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (20.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
West O'5

How do I get the landowner contact information exactly? Must I purchase a physical map/booklet or is there a way to do it through iHunter? Here's an example of a map I bought on my phone.
It's not always possible to get the landowner contact info,only if they also lease land.
ie;I have a physical landowner map book(you can use your iHunter landowner map)
I use the iHunter leaseholder upgrade to discover lease land,then I cross reference that with my landowner map.Often times you'll notice the same recurring names/ranches on both maps,ie; the leaseholder of a given parcel of land usually(often as not) owns adjoining deeded land or nearby as well.
ie;Rancher Bob leases 4 sections of crown grazing lease and I see on Landowner map that he also owns 6 sections of deeded land across the road.So I get his contact info from the leaseholder app,and when I enquire about hunting access I ask about permission on his deeded landed as well.....then if things go well,instead of only 4 sections,maybe now I have access to all 10 sections of his combined leased and deeded?
Honestly,the contact info only somewhat simplifies the process,I have better results actually visiting landowners personally and presenting myself vs. being some random stranger on the phone calling to ask if I can blast high powered rifles in their backyard,lol.....but the 2 maps combined gives me the info to pull into his home quarter prepared and knowing what land(s) I'm inquiring about.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It's not always possible to get the landowner contact info,only if they also lease land.
ie;I have a physical landowner map book(you can use your iHunter landowner map)
I use the iHunter leaseholder upgrade to discover lease land,then I cross reference that with my landowner map.Often times you'll notice the same recurring names/ranches on both maps,ie; the leaseholder of a given parcel of land usually(often as not) owns adjoining deeded land or nearby as well.
ie;Rancher Bob leases 4 sections of crown grazing lease and I see on Landowner map that he also owns 6 sections of deeded land across the road.So I get his contact info from the leaseholder app,and when I enquire about hunting access I ask about permission on his deeded landed as well.....then if things go well,instead of only 4 sections,maybe now I have access to all 10 sections of his combined leased and deeded?
Honestly,the contact info only somewhat simplifies the process,I have better results actually visiting landowners personally and presenting myself vs. being some random stranger on the phone calling to ask if I can blast high powered rifles in their backyard,lol.....but the 2 maps combined gives me the info to pull into his home quarter prepared and knowing what land(s) I'm inquiring about.
Ah! I understand! Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Here is screenshots from my phone. Green is crown land.
That is not necessarily crown land.. That's agricultural lease land in which you still need permission and has separate rules from truly public crown land. Turning on "Show Alberta Green Area" is the crown land option.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:56 PM

I relize how handy this app is but as a landowner and hunter ive gotta give my 2 cents. I have a fair amount of land that i own and rent and the biggest headache i have is hunters with this app. It is not accurate. It consistently has wrong landowners. In most cases it shows me as the owner even if i rent i . Im not sure how it gets that info. So be careful. Its hard to go wrong with actual county maps. This applies to the south end of red deer county and north side of mountainview.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4 View Post
I relize how handy this app is but as a landowner and hunter ive gotta give my 2 cents. I have a fair amount of land that i own and rent and the biggest headache i have is hunters with this app. It is not accurate. It consistently has wrong landowners. In most cases it shows me as the owner even if i rent i . Im not sure how it gets that info. So be careful. Its hard to go wrong with actual county maps. This applies to the south end of red deer county and north side of mountainview.
You should email the app creator (info@ihunterapp.com) so he can get mistakes fixed (if they are mistakes). If you are renting/leasing land from the province, then your name and phone number is on the lease land because you provided it to the province (in order to give you the ability to restrict access), and they provided it to iHunter. If it is on a landownership map, then those are the county maps, so not really sure why the paper maps would be better...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 PM

I'm all for lease holders name & contact info visible on these apps.
But I don't feel landowners contact info should be visible, names ok.
People want to put in a bit of work and search out landowners contact info, door knock, all good.
Just my opinion,

TBark
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I'm all for lease holders name & contact info visible on these apps.
But I don't feel landowners contact info should be visible, names ok.
People want to put in a bit of work and search out landowners contact info, door knock, all good.
Just my opinion,

TBark
Landowner contact info is not listed in the app, only leaseholder info is listed. I believe someone above was just mentioning that they use the leaseholder info to try finding the phone numbers of people that also have deeded land. If iHunter had current phone numbers for all private landowners as well, I would pay a hell of a lot more money for it. I agree that listing private numbers is a step too far (and according to the developer won't ever happen).
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Just to b clear i was talking rented land. Not lease land. I rent based on a hand shake and can change year to year. The counties dont track this. I have no intentions on following this app up as i dont trust it. Just wanted to let everyone no my experience with it. It is a conveniant tool to use but not 100% reliable.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4 View Post
Just to b clear i was talking rented land. Not lease land. I rent based on a hand shake and can change year to year. The counties dont track this. I have no intentions on following this app up as i dont trust it. Just wanted to let everyone no my experience with it. It is a conveniant tool to use but not 100% reliable.
There is absolutely no way for iHunter to have you information in the app if you are renting based on a handshake deal... if you aren't listed with the government as the contact for a lease, or on title as the landowner with the county, you shouldn't be in the app. I've talked with the owner extensively at last years trade shows to get the full run down on this. I don't buy this lack of reliability argument unless you list the specifics. Not sure why you wouldn't want it fixed if its your personal (incorrect) information being listed.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
There is absolutely no way for iHunter to have you information in the app if you are renting based on a handshake deal... if you aren't listed with the government as the contact for a lease, or on title as the landowner with the county, you shouldn't be in the app. I've talked with the owner extensively at last years trade shows to get the full run down on this. I don't buy this lack of reliability argument unless you list the specifics. Not sure why you wouldn't want it fixed if its your personal (incorrect) information being listed.
Specifically...I can attest to the FACT that the iHunter app sometimes contradicts my county landowner maps,so it is NOT 100% reliable.
ie;in some instances,the iHunter leaseholder map shows leased land that is actually deeded land on county maps and vice versa....government land on county maps that shows as deeded on iHunter.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Mark u clearly no more and care more bout it than i do. Im sure its a fine tool every hunter should use and have. Was just trying to relay my issues with it. Have a good day.