Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Default 2016 Mule Deer Buck

Like so many hunts this one started off back when the draw results were released and I was awarded the Mule Deer buck draw of my top choice. With a busy spring and summer I didn't have the chance to scout nearly as much as I would've liked but my friend who happens to be the landowner kept an eye out for me. He is a hunter as well so that definitely helps as he knew what to look for.

November 1st rolled around and I was still busy trying to catch up with a bull I had been after for the better part of fall, however that night I received two texts from him that would sway my interest. I wasn't intending on heading his way until the last ten days of the season as history shows they always tend to rut late. The texts were two pictures, caption said "both shot today". Both bucks were at the 200" mark... I wasn't sure if I should feel depressed or excited. I knew both were killed around his area, but he reassured me there were still big bucks around.

I drove out late Sunday, had a sleepless night and was up and at it the next day. First morning I hiked a gorgeous coulee and to my disappointment found every animal but mule deer as is hunting. That afternoon I was joined by another friend who agreed to come along and help out. Our game plan that afternoon was to cruise around and get a lay of the land and see who was where. We spotted numerous animals including mule deer but no mature bucks and a lot of lone does or unattended harems.

Morning of day two we parked at a lease and split up both covering the edge of two different coulees. The sign was tremendous but the sightings were minimal. We would glass the remainder of the morning but saw nothing. Afternoon brought the similar outcome with minimal sightings. That night the temperature dropped significantly and it was calling for the years real snowfall which always brings excitement.

Morning of day three the weather man was right and we awoke to fresh thick snow. If anything it would aid in our spotting. So off we went to a new area we hadn't ventured too yet. Our high hopes and excitement quickly diminished with zero fresh tracks or sightings. We decided to meet at the truck and try a new area. During our travels to our new destination we spotted a deer far off, well over a mile. A quick look through the binos warranted a better look through the spotter. After we both analyzed it we quickly confirmed this buck needed an even closer look. We got back in the truck and made our way around to a closer lease and began our stalk. We counted at the time he was three spines over. Normally I would've climbed to the top of the hill an ambush from above however the wind was roaring down the hill so I skirted the bottom slowly angling my way up the spines to where I figured we would be lateral together. I prepared my gun as i crested the third spine expecting him there or close but saw nothing. The only explanation was that he either went up, or turned around.

I then began the climb up and figured ill walk the edge of this draining and if he went up id eventually cut his track, if he turned around I would simply keep walking. Shortly after I started rounding the spine he was on I cut a fresh track, a bigger track in pursuit of a smaller track... I knew this buck would be preoccupied so I started following this track rather aggressively. I could see where he cut through willows as the fresh snow was brushed off the snow covered bush which reinforced my thought that this was him. I cam over a little knoll and quickly scanned the area but saw nothing so nose to the ground carried on following the tracks. As I approached another block of bush the doe came barreling out and ran towards me then tapered off and never stopped running. I quickly dialled my scope back chambered a round and awaited his arrival.

Shortly after the buck, similar to the doe exploded out of the bush but quickly came to a halt after spotting me. At this point I could only see his face and rack which confirmed he was a shooter. I just needed a better angle. He then proceed to sway his way my way as if to challenge me. The battle quickly ended as my brand new .257 let her first shot go and the buck folded in its tracks.

Thanks for reading and already look forward to 2017
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 MD 3.jpg (43.5 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 MD 4.jpg (40.7 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 MD 1.jpg (15.2 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 MD 2.jpg (12.2 KB, 601 views)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Nice buck! Thanks for putting together a write up for us.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Awesome buck, congrats.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM

Sitting on P14 for Antlered Mule Deer. One can only dream of closing a tag on a brute like that.

Awesome story, awesome buck. Congrats.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Great looking buck! Love the dark mullet on him, big bruiser! Congrats.

BW
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Great story even better buck! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Nice work!!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM

That''s a great looking mount!
Cat
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Default Congrats

It's always so much better when a story accompanies the pic! Congrats on a great buck! Where do I get a table top bracket like the one he's displayed on?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
It's always so much better when a story accompanies the pic! Congrats on a great buck! Where do I get a table top bracket like the one he's displayed on?
Its made by a company called skull hooker. I picked it up at cabelas. They also offer a wall mount to make the skull look more natural and its pretty fancy. I have a bull elk in my bedroom on one.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:47 PM

beauty deer man! congrats
Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 PM

What a fine animal. Thanks for sharing the hunt
Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Congrats that's a heck of a buck, sounds like you guys have a real good spot for big old mules. Was either your landowner friend or other friend able to connect on a buck like that also?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Well done!!!!

Nice Buck!!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 AM

What a beauty mount!

Thanks for the story - next season seems so far away!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Banned

Cool !!!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Default Nice

I have to be that guy asking about score. I say 184 gross. Love the dark antlers. Thanks for posting.
Dark antlers means........ wmu 23X? hahaha.

Good on ya, lovely mount.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
I have to be that guy asking about score. I say 184 gross. Love the dark antlers. Thanks for posting.

We ran a quick tape on him that day after skinning him and came up with just shy of 180". If you look close his right beam has a hole right through it, looked like he damaged it during velvet.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 PM

hell of a buck !
Old 02-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Great deer!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post

Me thinks those dark antlers show up more often on the mature deer... Real beauty...
I'd wager WMU 20X? Hahaha