Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Elk hunting west side or easy side of 356?

Good morning fellow AO members! You make have seen my previous post wondering about information on wmu 356 as I'm liking the area and want learn more about it. Would the west side o the unit near bc and the wapiti river be better for elk/whitetail, or the east side near the smoky?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlannon16 View Post
Good morning fellow AO members! You make have seen my previous post wondering about information on wmu 356 as I'm liking the area and want learn more about it. Would the west side o the unit near bc and the wapiti river be better for elk/whitetail, or the east side near the smoky?
Depends on how you're hunting, lots of roads through out the WMU but you'll have better luck if you get off the beaten trails. Lots of elk, lots of deer but they can be hard to find as there is lots of bush too.

Best bet is to get out and find the spot you like and hunt it.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 PM

We are more of a cutline/higher ground type. Spot and stalk or call over an area with good sign.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Lots of old cutblocks to the west on the Two Lakes Road. You're close to the Wapiti, Nose Creek, Narroway River also.

But the other side is good to on top of the Smoky.

I'm more partial to the west side of the WMU but have had good success to the east also.

There are cutlines everywhere from all the seismic activity from years gone by. Lots are growing over and pretty dirty to walk though.

My best luck has always been closer to the farmland....
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys I shot a nice 5 by 6 elk on the east side and the girlfriend shot a very heavy 5 by 5 buck! All within 3 hours o the first day. Took 2.5 days to er the elk out but all done now enjoying a beer heading home early. Pics to come soon
Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Curious too what you ended up getting im planning for hunt this fall for a bit for bow season