Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 AM

Default Removing Urine Stain

I think this was on quite a while back to do with weasel & getting the yellow out some what from the fur , but what are people using to remove from coyote pelts when they run into this . Ran into this yesterday & its the first because its on the neck area on the sides do to the coyote peeing & laying on the ground . Any suggestions . Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

I've never encountered urine stains on a coyote but I wash all of my coyote pelts. I'd suggest rubbing Borax into it and then brush it out. I've used it on red belly and it did a pretty good job of whitening the fur.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Borax

Dave I've used borax when the pelts are still wet which I think in the wet state it cleans better but are you aware if fellas are only sprinkling it dry in the pelt , letting it sit then brushing out after to try & clean . Kind of like using the right sawdust for pelts (Term Pelt Flour) , ATA carry's it . For example treating red belly , wet state better I think .
Old 01-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned

Yes, I use it dry. I have only ever used Borax on dry fur, never wet. Tomcat is the resident expert on using Borax and he was the member that I learned about Borax from in one of his posts on this forum. Getting close to the last receiving date one year, rather than burn the midnight candle and scrambling around trying to dry wet, washed pelts, I decided to try the Borax thingy. It worked like a charm and now I'm a big fan of it.

If you do a search you can find before and after Borax pictures that both Tomcat and I posted on this forum. I have a red belly coming off the board today that I want to use Borax on. I'll try to remember to take before and after pictures and post them up.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Banned

Info and pictures.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=borax

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=borax