Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM

This gun was made in Germany by the firm Vollmer in the late 70s and early 80s with a total of 2000 being made.I t comes with its own unique minie style bullet mold.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM

DANG! I was close!
Very nice rifle BTW!
Cat
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM

Here is an antique kill 43 Beaumont built in 1876.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
75 grains ( thrown in an Uncle mikes measure not weighed)of FFG with rolled oats filled to the top and a Jennkinson single groove bullet.
Bees wax base wad.
I also use 23 grains of Trail Boss with no filler.
This is what works in MY rifles, no guarantee a different rifle will hold together.
A person should really work up loads on their own
Cat
Rolled oats. Interesting. Ever use COW? That's what I use in my snider mixed about 10:1 with Fffg
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Yea but it's 112 years old,lol
How bout this one then.....not an "antique",but a replica.
TC Hawken .45
90gr FFFg GOEX,225gr Powerbelt

That one is in the spirit of the OP I believe. But he can chime in if I'm wrong.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Rolled oats. Interesting. Ever use COW? That's what I use in my snider mixed about 10:1 with Fffg
Yup but the rolled oats worked great do I stuck with it !
Cat
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yup but the rolled oats worked great do I stuck with it !
Cat
Either way if we get lost in the bush. We have breakfast, just bite a bullet off and make porge.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Either way if we get lost in the bush. We have breakfast, just bite a bullet off and make porge.
And you can shoot a rabbit or partridge and it's already breaded!!
Cat
Old 01-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
And you can shoot a rabbit or partridge and it's already breaded!!
Cat
Very clever. Ok this is getting cheesie. Cheese. I bet that could be used as a grease cookie.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Very clever. Ok this is getting cheesie. Cheese. I bet that could be used as a grease cookie.
It would sure taste better than what I use now!!
Cat
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Default weight issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrub View Post
can you imagine packing my highwalls with the #4 & #5 barrels, it would be a short spot and stalk. by the way I am out of 45-90 reloads. also you have my rolling block it's shot a lot of badgers.
Even thinking about packing around your high-walls makes my back sore. That old rolling block in 45-70 is so barrel heavy, I wouldn't venture more than a stand-hunt for bear. NO spot and stalk with that crow-bar!

Most all of these old shooters were made on the "cautious" side. Lots of meat to them to withstand big-load pressures
Luckily, those sxs rifles of mine are nice and flat for packing across the shoulder. Always thought those photos of a PH packing his double over his shoulder barrel first was just posing. After first-hand experience packing them around in the bush and mountains for awhile, you realize how comfy it is packing them just that way. Even more comfy than using a sling, so I just dont even use a sling on them anymore.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Default vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Even thinking about packing around your high-walls makes my back sore. That old rolling block in 45-70 is so barrel heavy, I wouldn't venture more than a stand-hunt for bear. NO spot and stalk with that crow-bar!

Most all of these old shooters were made on the "cautious" side. Lots of meat to them to withstand big-load pressures
Luckily, those sxs rifles of mine are nice and flat for packing across the shoulder. Always thought those photos of a PH packing his double over his shoulder barrel first was just posing. After first-hand experience packing them around in the bush and mountains for awhile, you realize how comfy it is packing them just that way. Even more comfy than using a sling, so I just dont even use a sling on them anymore.
that 500 no2 is a nice gun to shoot. will have one some day
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Love my Winchester 94 from 1906 in 38-55. Nothing like the smoke cloud and smell from black powder. My dad scored it for 150$ 15+ years ago and shoots well enough to take a deer at 100 yards if I wanted too (with paper patched bullets. doesn't shoot worth a damn if there straight lead). I have other guns I prefer to beat on in the bush though. The rifle is too nice and original for me to hunt with.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM

Default paper patching

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACTICALSIXGUN View Post
Love my Winchester 94 from 1906 in 38-55. Nothing like the smoke cloud and smell from black powder. My dad scored it for 150$ 15+ years ago and shoots well enough to take a deer at 100 yards if I wanted too (with paper patched bullets. doesn't shoot worth a damn if there straight lead). I have other guns I prefer to beat on in the bush though. The rifle is too nice and original for me to hunt with.
The interesting thing about paper patching and blackpowder; This combination makes for the perfect projectile as the blackpowder bumps up the lead bullet to fit the rifling perfectly, and the paperpatch helps prevent leading and acts like a modern sabot of sorts. Old technology that modern day manufacturers have bent over backwards trying to duplicate with jacket designs.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
The interesting thing about paper patching and blackpowder; This combination makes for the perfect projectile as the blackpowder bumps up the lead bullet to fit the rifling perfectly, and the paperpatch helps prevent leading and acts like a modern sabot of sorts. Old technology that modern day manufacturers have bent over backwards trying to duplicate with jacket designs.
I was speaking about this just the other day with another cast bullet shooter .
You can make allowances for some big differences in bullet to bore ratios with a patch and still get excellent results .
Cat
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Default bore sizes

I've used cast bullets of .504-508 in my 577/500 and it slugs out at .512. The black powder bumps it up to fit perfect, with no change of impact. The paper-patch adds a bit too though.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Never had enough time on my hands to get into paper patching I just slug and buy molds that are larger depending on the dimensions of a fired case neck and actual bore dimensions. I did a few pp bullets and I noticed how bright my bores got. Apparently shooting pp bullets is like fire lapping your barrel. Now I am usually shooting some rather questionable bores and a dozen pp bullets will really clean up your barrel. I actually tried this on a .303 with .308 bullets, 2 wraps of thin tracing paper, a minimum load and my bore was clean and smooth.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Default good tip!

Quote:
Never had enough time on my hands to get into paper patching I just slug and buy molds that are larger depending on the dimensions of a fired case neck and actual bore dimensions. I did a few pp bullets and I noticed how bright my bores got. Apparently shooting pp bullets is like fire lapping your barrel. Now I am usually shooting some rather questionable bores and a dozen pp bullets will really clean up your barrel. I actually tried this on a .303 with .308 bullets, 2 wraps of thin tracing paper, a minimum load and my bore was clean and smooth.
I gotta try this! I know how well it works in my BPCR guns, but hadn't thought much about using paper-patched cast in my other guns. I have molds for most of the calibers I shoot, but just usually lube them with Allox.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;3437383]Ya gotta love vintage guns to shoot them for sure, otherwise they are no fun at all!
This is a Haenal 8.5X46 Shuetzen rifle, basically the Winchester 32/40 s much the same.
I only shot t n warmer weather however!

Very cool rifle!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I gotta try this! I know how well it works in my BPCR guns, but hadn't thought much about using paper-patched cast in my other guns. I have molds for most of the calibers I shoot, but just usually lube them with Allox.
I have just pp bullets with 303's to basically clean the barrel. From my understanding with cast bullets in Smokeless is you can push soft lead bullets faster without leading. I'm at 1900 so far with a 303 with no signs of leading but those are hard purchased bullets, 18brinell if I recall. With a patch on the same bullet the sky is the limit until your accuracy falls. You probably could get jacket bullet speeds out of the same gun but your accuracy could drop off prior to that. Also the bullets would have to be sized down. For example in a .308 cal bore you would have to size or mold you lead to .301, .302 or so to bring it up with paper to a thou or so larger than your groove diameter. Basically so the sized lead is snug or slightly larger than the bore diameter, paper fills the grooves. Personally I have mainly played around with bpcr in 45 and bought the 45 brass template to get good patches but I didnt see a major improvement but I know with time and effort they would be terrific. At 1300fps I don't really see a need to do it with my gun. I convert my own brass, pour my own bullets, if I had to patch everyone of those I would never get to shoot.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:48 PM

love the old ones, or replica's
sharpes or 1885 high walls
black powder cartridge rifles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1430865955938.jpg (15.2 KB, 9 views)
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It especially helps when you have an old rifle that is smaller diameter near the chamber than it does at the muzzle (the problem my rifle has) takes it from shooting werever that particular bullet decides to land to quite accurate. Though it is without a doubt worth it, it is also very labour intensive.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM

https://shop.cricut.com/en_ca/?gclid...FQYJaQodr6wFPw

This would be awesome for paper patching. You can buy it for the wife so she can make girl stuff then borrow it.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:50 PM

Default great idea

Quote:
https://shop.cricut.com/en_ca/?gclid...FQYJaQodr6wFPw

This would be awesome for paper patching. You can buy it for the wife so she can make girl stuff then borrow it.
My wife is already a scrapbooking extraordinaire! I know for fact I have seen one of these gadgets kicking around! Might be a bit overkill, but I have to ask her to try it out for me. A guy could probably have her program in all the different calibre measurements and kick them out as needed!

I don't really find paper-patching all that labor intensive. I have a small paper cutter that cuts the strips of paper for me out of a pad of normal graph paper. The graph paper helps keep all the cuts straight. I then just mark the proper lengths on the strips, and eyeball the angle cuts. It's nothing really to kick out a hundered patches in short order.
Where I find it sometimes takes a bit of work, is in the waterproofing process. I made a mix of 50/50 beeswax and vaseline, heated up together, and just take a thumb scraping of the mix and work it into the paper of the dried, wrapped bullet. To me, this is probably the most time-consuming part of the process.