Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Turning your hunting bow into a target setup

So I am going into my second year of archery. I am hooked big time. I didn't get out much at all this season even for bow beacuse of my work and missed almost all of the season. I want to keep shooting and practicing and am enjoying it more every month that rolls by. I dropped some funds on a good hunting setup this year that I am super happy with, however, I don't have enough money to go out and spend a bunch on a top of the line target archery setup.

I want to get into target and 3D shooting during the off season from hunting. I have not found much information on it but was wondering if any of you have some suggestions for turning a hunting setup into a temporary target setup. I know not eveything will be the same, but just some ideas that are cheaper then buying a seperate bow but will still give me some advantages of the target bow feel.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 PM

You really don't have to change anything to do 3d. I think it's a good thing for hunters to practice with their hunting equipment all year long. For the most part I will shoot my hunting rig for 3d, the only thing I might change for indoor 3d is to shoot some 25 or 27 series arrows. I am just starting to shoot spots myself, and am lucky enough to have a bow I can set up for that. I do know guys that will shoot spots with their hunting rigs though. I don't think you have to spend any money to do what you want!

Norm
Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Normanrd and myself started shooting 3D and target with our hunting setups and as time progressed we moved into more of a target/3D setup.

LC
Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 PM

I shot with Norm and his hunting setup and he's deadly. I would agree. I'm a beer drinking shooter that enjoys throwing arrows. Setup your rig for 3-d and have a ball. Advance as you please.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Right on. Do you guys tend to use the same stabilizer for hunting and 3D shooting or tend to use a slightly longer one when shooting target or 3D. As for arrows, do you guys just use your hunting arrows with field points or a larger target/3D arrow?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoscaire View Post
Right on. Do you guys tend to use the same stabilizer for hunting and 3D shooting or tend to use a slightly longer one when shooting target or 3D. As for arrows, do you guys just use your hunting arrows with field points or a larger target/3D arrow?
I started with 100% hunting rig and slowly changed to more 3d setup with different arrows and longer stabs.

LC
Old 12-22-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoscaire View Post
The only thing I have changed for indoor this year is to tune some fatter arrows up and turn the poundage down to maintain the same speed as my hunting set up. Stabilizers stay the same